Coupled Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem on renormalisation group flow using coupled equations. The equations involve the operator Λ ∂/∂Λ and the constants a and b. The solution involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix and using them to decompose g(Λ) and m(Λ). The suggested solution involves using a solution of the form g(x) = A_1 x^r + B_1 x^s and m(x) = A_2 x^r + B_2 x^s, where the constants are yet to be determined.
dman12

Homework Statement

Hi. I am trying to solve a problem on renormalisation group flow and have come across the following coupled equations that I need to solve:

Λ ∂g/∂Λ = b.m

Λ ∂m/∂Λ = -2.m + a.g

Where a and b are just constants. I need to find g(Λ) and m(Λ).

Homework Equations

[/B]
I thought this could perhaps be solved by turning it into a matrix equation and then diagonalising and expressing g(Λ) and m(Λ) as sums of eigenvectors.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the eigenvalues of the matrix to give:

λ+ = -1 + √(1+ab)
λ- = -1 - √(1+ab)

And then I found the eigenvectors of the operator Λ ∂/∂Λ :

ν+(Λ) = (Λ/μ)λ+ ν+(μ)

Where μ is just some integration constant. A similar expression holds for ν-

I then decomposed:

g(Λ) = α ν+ + β ν-

m(Λ) = γ ν+ + δ ν-

But I don't really know where to go from here? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
dman12 said:

Homework Statement

Hi. I am trying to solve a problem on renormalisation group flow and have come across the following coupled equations that I need to solve:

Λ ∂g/∂Λ = b.m

Λ ∂m/∂Λ = -2.m + a.g

Where a and b are just constants. I need to find g(Λ) and m(Λ).

Homework Equations

[/B]
I thought this could perhaps be solved by turning it into a matrix equation and then diagonalising and expressing g(Λ) and m(Λ) as sums of eigenvectors.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the eigenvalues of the matrix to give:

λ+ = -1 + √(1+ab)
λ- = -1 - √(1+ab)

And then I found the eigenvectors of the operator Λ ∂/∂Λ :

ν+(Λ) = (Λ/μ)λ+ ν+(μ)

Where μ is just some integration constant. A similar expression holds for ν-

I then decomposed:

g(Λ) = α ν+ + β ν-

m(Λ) = γ ν+ + δ ν-

But I don't really know where to go from here? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Try a solution of the form
[tex] g(x) = A_1 x^r + B_1 x^s, \: m(x) = A_2 x^r + B_2 x^s [/tex]
where the ##A_i, B_i, r, s## are constants (and I write ##x## instead of ##\Lambda##).

1. What are coupled differential equations?

Coupled differential equations are a system of two or more differential equations that are interdependent and must be solved simultaneously. This means that the solution to one equation depends on the solution of the other equation(s).

2. What are some real-life applications of coupled differential equations?

Coupled differential equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model complex systems such as chemical reactions, population dynamics, and electrical circuits. They are also used in weather forecasting and economic forecasting.

3. How do you solve coupled differential equations?

There is no one universal method for solving coupled differential equations, as it depends on the specific equations and their interdependencies. However, some common methods include substitution, elimination, and the use of numerical techniques such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods.

4. What are the challenges in solving coupled differential equations?

Solving coupled differential equations can be challenging because the equations are interdependent, making it difficult to find an exact analytical solution. In addition, the complexity of the equations and the need to simultaneously solve multiple equations can make the process time-consuming and computationally intensive.

5. Are there any tools or software available for solving coupled differential equations?

Yes, there are various tools and software available for solving coupled differential equations, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Maple. These programs use numerical methods to approximate solutions and can handle systems of equations with complex interdependencies.