Coupling capacitance between interconnects in VLSI

In summary: This has the effect of increasing the dielectric constant, although at the expense of increased leakage. Actually I want to do the opposite. I want to increase the capacitive couplingYou might be able to increase the capacitance of a silicon dioxide substrate by doping it with hafnium. This would require special processing techniques, but it might be achievable.
omar alaa
Hello all,

I'm trying to measure the effect of adding charges in the silicon dioxide separating two interconnects in VLSI circuits and how it will effect the coupling capacitance between these two wires. How can I measure this effect ? The VLSI circuit I'm working on has frequency of 500 Mhz.

What I did so far is playing a little with FastFieldSolver tool and see the effect of changing the dielectric constant on the coupling capacitance between two wires...but still I don't know how the dielectric constant is related to charge (impurities) concentration in the silicon dioxide.

My goal is to be able to tune the dielectric constant of the silicon dioxide by adding charges (impurities) in the silicon dioxide ...and how to count the effect of operating frequency in my calculations.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is there a way to increase artificially the dielectric constant of a material (i.e. silicon dioxide) ?

omar alaa said:
Is there a way to increase artificially the dielectric constant of a material (i.e. silicon dioxide) ?
Are you familiar with Electrically Controlled Capacitance?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_capacitor

I don't know if it might be related to what you are asking... By varying the reverse bias voltage across a semiconductor junction, you change the width of the depletion layer, which changes the capacitance across the junction. The technique is commonly used in radio circuits and other circuits that need a variable capacitance for tuning purposes.

berkeman said:
Are you familiar with Electrically Controlled Capacitance?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_capacitor

I don't know if it might be related to what you are asking... By varying the reverse bias voltage across a semiconductor junction, you change the width of the depletion layer, which changes the capacitance across the junction. The technique is commonly used in radio circuits and other circuits that need a variable capacitance for tuning purposes.

No I'm not talking about dielectric in transistors (sorry for not clarifying), I'm talking about parallel plate capacitor. I want to increase its capacitance, but I don't have control over goemetries..I can just modify the dielectric. I was wondering if I can increase the dielectric constant with doping of ions or free charges, if yes is there an equation governing this ?

The Wikipedia articles on high-k and low-k dielectric may help.

Likes berkeman
Fred Wright said:
The Wikipedia articles on high-k and low-k dielectric may help.
Is there a way to modify the silicon dioxide itself such as doping the dielectric ?

omar alaa said:
Is there a way to modify the silicon dioxide itself such as doping the dielectric ?
I would think that would mostly alter the conductance, not the dielectric constant. How leaky can this capacitor be? Leaky capacitance is usually a bad thing, no?

You can lower the dielectric constant of your SiO2 substrate by doping it with fluorine. This is done with plasma enhanced CVD. Lowering the dielectric constant will reduce the capacitive coupling between your traces. If you want to measure the result, hook your circuit to a network analyzer.

Fred Wright said:
You can lower the dielectric constant of your SiO2 substrate by doping it with fluorine. This is done with plasma enhanced CVD. Lowering the dielectric constant will reduce the capacitive coupling between your traces. If you want to measure the result, hook your circuit to a network analyzer.
Actually I want to do the opposite. I want to increase the capacitive coupling

I suggest you do a literature search on hafnium based high-k dielectrics. I am not familiar with the processing techniques involved but I suspect that it isn't trivial. Also, industry has used oxynitride, where a small amount of nitrogen is infused into the SiO2 substrate.

1. What is coupling capacitance between interconnects in VLSI?

Coupling capacitance is the capacitance that exists between two adjacent interconnects (wires) in a VLSI circuit. It is caused by the electric field that is present between the two conductors and can affect the performance and functionality of the circuit.

2. How does coupling capacitance affect VLSI circuits?

Coupling capacitance can cause unwanted noise and signal interference in VLSI circuits, which can lead to errors and reduced performance. It can also increase power consumption and delay in signal transmission, impacting the overall functionality of the circuit.

3. How is coupling capacitance calculated in VLSI circuits?

Coupling capacitance is typically calculated using analytical models or simulation tools. Analytical models use equations and parameters to estimate the coupling capacitance, while simulations use computer programs to simulate the behavior of the circuit and calculate the capacitance based on the layout.

4. How can coupling capacitance be reduced in VLSI circuits?

Several techniques can be used to reduce the coupling capacitance between interconnects in VLSI circuits. These include increasing the distance between interconnects, using shielding layers, and implementing advanced routing techniques such as shielding vias and guard rings.

5. What are the consequences of ignoring coupling capacitance in VLSI design?

Ignoring coupling capacitance can result in significant performance issues and errors in VLSI circuits. It can also lead to a longer design time and increased costs due to the need for redesigns. Therefore, it is essential to consider and mitigate coupling capacitance in VLSI design to ensure optimal circuit functionality.