Single Phase Induction motor winding phase difference

In summary, the conversation discusses extracting electrical properties of a single phase induction motor, measuring the phase difference between start and run windings, and calculating the time constant of the rotor. It also mentions using a capacitor to achieve a 90-degree phase shift and the process of calculating the capacitor value using a phasor diagram. Additionally, it mentions the use of the capacitance and frequency to calculate capacitive reactance.
Vikas Kasireddy
Q1:
So I'm trying to extract the electrical properties of a single phase induction motor. First off, how am I supposed to measure the phase difference between the start and run windings? I have L and R of start and run windings too!
Q2:
I have a torque vs slip curve up until 130% of rated load. Using this I was told I'm supposed to curve fit this data to the equation Torque*c1 = c2*s/(1+(j*w*t)) to get the time constant t of the rotor (or L/R of the rotor). I'm not sure how I'm supposed to do this. I also have this L/R value using the electrical model that I found with locked rotor measurements.
Q3:
If this system was to be switched with a capacitor to get 90 degrees phase shift, how do I calculate the capacitor value? I know I'm supposed to draw a phasor diagram and find the value of C so that it forms the required phase shift but I need more explication on that.

Engineering news on Phys.org
For the phasor diagram. You should have a phasor pointing somewhere in quadrant I (up and to the right). Up is for the inductive portion, and horizontal is resistive portion. If you create a right triangle from this coming back down to the Real axis, this vertical leg coming down will be your capacitive phasor.

Do you know how to calculate capacitive reactance from Capacitance and Frequency?

1. What is a single phase induction motor winding phase difference?

A single phase induction motor winding phase difference refers to the difference in the phase angle between the main and auxiliary windings of the motor. This phase difference is necessary for the motor to produce a rotating magnetic field and start the motor.

2. Why is it important to have a phase difference in the motor windings?

The phase difference in the motor windings is crucial for the motor to start and run smoothly. Without this phase difference, the motor would not be able to produce a rotating magnetic field and therefore, would not be able to start or operate.

3. How is the phase difference in single phase induction motor windings achieved?

The phase difference is achieved by using a start capacitor and a run capacitor in the motor circuit. These capacitors create a phase shift between the main and auxiliary windings, allowing for a rotating magnetic field to be produced.

4. What is the ideal phase difference for single phase induction motors?

The ideal phase difference for single phase induction motors is around 90 degrees. This allows for optimum performance and efficient operation of the motor.

5. What happens if there is no phase difference in the motor windings?

If there is no phase difference in the motor windings, the motor will not be able to start or run. It may also draw excessive current and overheat, potentially causing damage to the motor.