Courant's Fundamentals, help with proofs

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to density on the number line. The first problem asks to prove that a set of points, x = p/q^8, p, s ranging over all positive integers, is dense on the number line for any fixed integer q > 1. The second problem shows that if p is required to range only over a finite interval, the set of all x is not dense on any interval. The person speaking expresses difficulty understanding the problems and asks for advice on how to approach them. They mention taking a proof-based class and considering using an easier book, but express concern about the rigor and usefulness of such a book. They also mention considering taking a course at their school, but express concern about the
DrWillVKN

Homework Statement

a) For any fixed integer q > 1, prove that the set of points x = p/q^8, p, s ranging over all positive integers, is dense on the number line

b) Show that if p is required to range only over a finite interval, p<= M for some fixed M, the set of all x is not dense on any interval

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

?
I have trouble understanding the problems presented in this book. What are x, p and s? What do you even do with them? Rational points are dense if they are arbitrarily close, which can be done by making q a large positive integer. So those set of points would have to be arbitrarily close to a point P on the number line.

A finite interval would not be dense. But then what?

I took a proof based class, but the problems covered used material taught in the corresponding chapter, making it easy to pick the techniques and theorems to proof the problems. Here, I have a horrible time understanding the problems and what to use to solve them.

I have looked at spivak's book and the first few chapters were fine, but then the problems started getting as confusing as the problems here. I am afraid of using an 'easier' book because 1) I don't think there is an easier book than these (spivak, courant) and 2) A book easier than this would not be as rigorous, and I'm not sure if it'd help me understand these problems, which I will have to deal with anyways when I take upper level math courses.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was thinking of taking a course at my school, but the courses here also use the same books as the ones I'm reading now. Does anyone have any idea what I should do?

Related to Courant's Fundamentals, help with proofs

1. What is Courant's Fundamentals?

Courant's Fundamentals is a set of mathematical theories and principles developed by mathematician Richard Courant, which serve as the foundation for various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. Why is understanding Courant's Fundamentals important?

Understanding Courant's Fundamentals is important because it provides a strong mathematical foundation for solving complex problems in various fields, and helps in the development of new theories and advancements in science and technology.

3. What are some common proofs used in Courant's Fundamentals?

Some common proofs used in Courant's Fundamentals include the proof by induction, proof by contradiction, and proof by contrapositive.

4. How can one improve their skills in understanding and applying Courant's Fundamentals?

One can improve their skills in understanding and applying Courant's Fundamentals by practicing regularly, seeking help from experts, and participating in workshops or courses focused on the topic.

5. Are there any resources available for learning more about Courant's Fundamentals and its proofs?

Yes, there are various resources available such as textbooks, online courses, and video lectures that provide a comprehensive understanding of Courant's Fundamentals and its proofs. Additionally, there are also online forums and communities where one can discuss and learn from others interested in the topic.