Covalent bonding - Energy gain

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of tight binding theory to estimate the energy gain of a molecule made up of three atoms, each forming an equilateral triangle and sharing their only valence electron. The calculated eigenvalues of the 3x3 matrix are -2t, t, and t, with the energy gain being -3t. The conversation also touches on the question of how many electrons can simultaneously occupy the lowest energy state, with the conclusion being that only two electrons can occupy the bonding orbital while the third electron stays in a higher energy anti-bonding orbital.
RicardoMP

Homework Statement

I'm considering a molecule made by three atoms, each a vertex of an equilateral triangle. Each atom has a covalent bond with its neighbours, sharing their only valence electron. I must estimate the energy gain when creating the molecule, using tight binding theory.

Homework Equations

How much is the energy gain when the molecule is created?

The Attempt at a Solution

I used tight binding theory and named each atom's orbital |1>,|2> and |3>. Assuming that [tex] <i|H|j>=-t (hopping) [/tex] if [tex] i\neq j [/tex] and [tex] <i|H|j>= \epsilon _0 [/tex] if [tex] i=j [/tex]. I wrote my 3x3 matrix and calculated the eigenvalues which are-2t, t and t. The solutions tell that the energy gain is -2t-2t+t = -3t and I don't understand why.

Physics news on Phys.org
RicardoMP said:
I wrote my 3x3 matrix and calculated the eigenvalues which are-2t, t and t.
Shouldn't each eigenvalue of ##H## also contain ##\epsilon_0##?
The solutions tell that the energy gain is -2t-2t+t = -3t and I don't understand why.
How many electrons can simultaneously occupy the lowest energy state?

TSny said:
The eigenvalues calculated are actually [tex] \tilde{E}=\epsilon _0 - E [/tex]
I guess only 2 electrons can occupy the same energy state, each with opposite spins.

TSny said:
Oh, since I have 3 electrons to distribute over the the orbitals, the lowest energy state (bonding orbital) is filled with 2 electrons, each one with energy -2t (smallest energy eigenvalue from the hamiltonian) and the other electron stays in a higher energy orbital (anti-bonding orbital), raising its energy by t, therefore -2t-2t+t = -3t.
Is that it?

RicardoMP said:
Oh, since I have 3 electrons to distribute over the the orbitals, the lowest energy state (bonding orbital) is filled with 2 electrons, each one with energy -2t (smallest energy eigenvalue from the hamiltonian) and the other electron stays in a higher energy orbital (anti-bonding orbital), raising its energy by t, therefore -2t-2t+t = -3t.
Is that it?
Yes, that sound's right to me.

1. What is covalent bonding?

Covalent bonding is a type of chemical bonding in which atoms share one or more pairs of electrons in order to achieve a more stable electron configuration.

2. How is energy gained in covalent bonding?

In covalent bonding, energy is gained when atoms share electrons and form a bond. This bond formation releases energy, making the overall system more stable.

3. What is the role of energy in covalent bonding?

Energy is required for the formation of covalent bonds, and the resulting bond releases energy. This energy gain helps to stabilize the atoms involved in the bond.

4. How does the amount of energy gained in covalent bonding compare to other types of bonding?

The amount of energy gained in covalent bonding is typically lower than other types of bonding, such as ionic bonding. This is because in covalent bonding, the atoms involved are already close in electronegativity and do not have a large difference in charge.

5. Can covalent bonds break and release energy?

Yes, covalent bonds can break and release energy in a process known as bond dissociation. The amount of energy released during this process is equal to the amount of energy gained during bond formation.