Covariance matrix with asymmetric uncertainties

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of Chi-Squared for a large dataset with asymmetrical uncertainties. The speaker is currently using a covariance matrix to find the best fit parameters for their test formula. They are interested in a likelihood-based analysis, which may provide a better solution for dealing with the asymmetric uncertainties. The uncertainties come from different factors related to the detector, resolution, and MC, and the speaker is performing a global fit to determine the best fit values for their four parameters. The conversation also mentions two possible approaches for dealing with the asymmetric uncertainties: using symmetric uncertainties and re-running the calculation or calculating the likelihood externally.
Daaavde
Hello everyone, I'm currently building the covariance matrix of a large dataset in order to calculate the Chi-Squared. The covariance matrix has this form:

\begin{bmatrix}
\sigma^2_{1, stat} + \sigma^2_{1, syst} & \rho_{12} \sigma_{1,syst} \sigma_{2, syst} & ... \\
\rho_{12} \sigma_{1,syst} \sigma_{2, syst} & \sigma^2_{2, stat} + \sigma^2_{2, syst} & ... \\
... & ... & ...
\end{bmatrix}

However, all my data points have asymmetrix uncertainties ([itex]d^{+ \sigma^+_n}_{- \sigma^-_n}[/itex]) where ([itex] \sigma^+_n \neq \sigma^-_n [/itex]).
How do I calculate the Chi-Squared in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
If your uncertainties are asymmetric, reducing them to two numbers can be dangerous because you probably don't have a perfect Gaussian distribution of the likelihood towards each side separately. You could use the uncertainty that applies in your case (pick the one for the right direction), but a likelihood-based analysis might be better.

I thought about picking the uncertainty that applies to the different cases (lower uncertainty if fit lower than data point or viceversa), but the problem is that I'm running the covariance matrix in a minimizer to find the best fit parameters for my test formula.

Currently I'm generating my matrix (500x500) outside the minimizer (the minimizer loop the values of the parameters of my fit formula, so that only the difference vectors need to be recalculated at each iteration), but picking the right uncertainties to use in building the covariance matrix would mean constructing a different covariance matrix at each iteration. Is there a way to avoid that?

I'm interested in the likelihood-based analysis you mentioned, how would it solve the asymmetric uncertainty problem?

My uncertainties are systematic and statistical uncertainties on datapoints representing the flux of cosmic protons as a function of energy. The systematic uncertainties come from different factors related to the detector, resolution and MC.

I'm currently performing a global fit including different experiments measuring the flux of cosmic protons. In order to do that I'm comparing a formula (GSHL) predicting the flux of cosmic protons with the actual data (their difference is the numerator of my Chi-Squared). The cosmic ray formula depends on four parameters. By minimizing the Chi-Squared (looping through different values of the four parameters) I intend to determine the best fit values for the four parameters and their relative uncertainties.

The minimizer probably uses this covariance matrix to produce a likelihood estimate, and maximizes this likelihodd (more likely: minimizes the negative logarithm of it). Approaches I see:
- use symmetric uncertainties to get an estimate accurate enough to know which direction your deviation has for each bin, then plug in the correct direction and re-run. Should work if the asymmetries are not too large.
- Figure out if your minimization program allows to calculate the likelihood externally, where you can pick the right direction in every iteration.

The second approach also allows to include more complex uncertainty estimates. The asymmetric errors are problably just an approximation to a more complex likelihood function, and directly using this function would be more accurate.

What is a covariance matrix with asymmetric uncertainties?

A covariance matrix with asymmetric uncertainties is a mathematical representation of the relationships between variables, where the uncertainties or errors associated with each variable are not equal. This type of matrix is commonly used in statistical analysis and data modeling.

How is a covariance matrix with asymmetric uncertainties calculated?

To calculate a covariance matrix with asymmetric uncertainties, the values of each variable and their corresponding uncertainties are inputted into a formula. This formula takes into account the correlations between the variables and their individual uncertainties to generate a matrix that accurately represents the relationships between the variables.

What is the significance of asymmetric uncertainties in a covariance matrix?

Asymmetric uncertainties in a covariance matrix are important because they provide a more accurate representation of the relationships between variables. In many cases, the uncertainties or errors associated with each variable are not equal, and using a symmetric covariance matrix can lead to incorrect conclusions and predictions.

How is a covariance matrix with asymmetric uncertainties used in scientific research?

A covariance matrix with asymmetric uncertainties is used in various fields of scientific research, such as physics, chemistry, and biology, to analyze and model data. It can help identify important relationships between variables, make predictions, and assess the reliability of those predictions.

What are some limitations of using a covariance matrix with asymmetric uncertainties?

One limitation of using a covariance matrix with asymmetric uncertainties is that it assumes the uncertainties are normally distributed. In some cases, this may not be true, and alternative methods may need to be used. Additionally, the accuracy of the matrix relies on the accuracy of the inputted values and uncertainties, which may be subject to measurement errors.