I finally found a way to access the BIOS on my computer

• Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary: BIOS can be risky. It's easy to do something that will cause your system to crash, not boot, or become unstable. It's also possible to damage components on your computer if you overclock incorrectly. If you want to overclock, you'll need to buy a new motherboard.
The_Absolute
I have finally found a way to access my BIOS settings in my computer! I am running Windows Vista 64 bit Home Premium, a C2Q Q9400 2.66 GHz @ 2.66 GHz. 6GB of DDR2 800 MHz RAM, Radeon HD 4850 512 MB GPU.

I have never done this before, I am aiming at clocking my CPU from 2.66 GHz to 3.00 GHz. Should I be able to do this with my stock cooler? I heard overclocking can be extremely dangerous. Such as causing your system to constantly crash, not to boot, become unstable, cause data corruption, and even damage/break components on your PC. How do I do this properly, without those things happening?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Use your computer in fridge

The fact that you are just NOW figuring out how to access your BIOS is enough to tell me that you don't know enough knowledge to even do a small OC on your machine. You can't push that proc to far on the stock cooler anyway. What chip set do you have?

You will need to add a fan or fans to your case
Google “computer fans” there are many fans out there.
Many things to consider like do you want them high or low on your case, do you want them to blow inside or suck air out, the noise and of course the size.
Usually they plug right into your existing wiring harness.

My motherboard is a Gateway G33M05G1.

I believe the overclocking feature in my BIOS is permanently locked by the manufacturer. As with most Gateway computers.

If I wanted to overclock, I would have to buy another motherboard. Could you recommend any LGA 775 motherboards which are an upgrade from mine, overclockable, and will fit a C2Q Q9400 in it?

Correct, nearly all (that I know of) OEM machines have locked BIOS to prevent overclocking in any way.

As far as motherboards, Google. There are forums specifically dedicated to overclocking. Be weary though, many computer manufacturers use weird motherboard sizes such that typical off-the-shelf units don't fit.

Don't overclock any computer you don't mind frying.

Accessing the BIOS is usually a simply key that is displayed on the screen before windows boots... Usually it is the F2 or F10 key.

J

1. How do I access the BIOS on my computer?

To access the BIOS on your computer, you will need to restart your computer and press a specific key during the boot process. This key is usually displayed on the screen during the boot process, and it can vary depending on your computer's manufacturer. Some common keys to access the BIOS include F2, Delete, or Escape.

2. Why do I need to access the BIOS on my computer?

The BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) is a low-level software that controls the fundamental functions of your computer, such as booting up and managing hardware components. Accessing the BIOS allows you to make changes to these settings, such as adjusting the boot order or overclocking your processor.

3. What should I do if I can't access the BIOS on my computer?

If you are having trouble accessing the BIOS on your computer, try restarting your computer and pressing the key repeatedly during the boot process. If the issue persists, consult your computer's manual or contact the manufacturer for specific instructions on how to access the BIOS on your particular model.

4. Is there a risk involved in accessing the BIOS on my computer?

Yes, there is a small risk involved in accessing the BIOS on your computer. Making changes to the BIOS settings without proper knowledge can cause your computer to malfunction, so it is important to be cautious and only make changes if you know what you are doing.

5. Can I access the BIOS on my computer if I am not a computer expert?

Yes, you can access the BIOS on your computer even if you are not a computer expert. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of the BIOS and its functions before making any changes. If you are unsure, it is best to consult a professional or do thorough research before accessing the BIOS.