Crafting a Winning Biomedical Engineering Project Proposal for UVA Application

• Thread starter nyr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary: But he's a really interesting guy, and I've enjoyed talking with him about the business side of things.Welcome to PF, Nyr.
nyr
I'm currently working on my UVA application and finished it all except for one part. Its a small writing portion of about 250 words. It states: "If you were given funding for a small engineering project, what would you do?"

I chose Biomedical Engineering as my major. So perhaps relating my essay to the topic would be beneficial to my application. If anyone could give me some ideas of how to approach or even start this question would be helpful. I'm not asking anyone to do it for me I'm just asking for some ideas on what to write it on.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Nyr.
For the past 45 years or so, I've been fascinated by prosthetic/robotic biological interfaces. This goes back to the original "British hand", which might have been the first truly bionics appendage. It wasn't bonded to the bone or directed by neurological impulses, but the myoelectric control from stump muscle remnants was (and still is) amazing. The stuff that they're doing now (largely due to the efforts of whatever Yank department looks after war veterans) surpasses "amazing" to a degree that I can't articulate.
Anyhow, since that subject is my passion, I respectfully submit that it might be a decent topic for your presentation.

Danger said:
Welcome to PF, Nyr.
For the past 45 years or so, I've been fascinated by prosthetic/robotic biological interfaces. This goes back to the original "British hand", which might have been the first truly bionics appendage. It wasn't bonded to the bone or directed by neurological impulses, but the myoelectric control from stump muscle remnants was (and still is) amazing. The stuff that they're doing now (largely due to the efforts of whatever Yank department looks after war veterans) surpasses "amazing" to a degree that I can't articulate.
Anyhow, since that subject is my passion, I respectfully submit that it might be a decent topic for your presentation.

Thanks I really appreciate your help. It really is an interesting topic that you brought up. But would that really qualify as a "small engineering project?" I picture what you brought up as being something complex that could cost a lot of money

I've no idea how you are supposed to interpret "small" in that context, but I would guess it means a project that one or two people could do in say 3 or 6 months.

If I was evaluating at the applications, I would be looking for people who had a realistic idea of how much (or more accurately, how little!) it is possible to get done in that amount of time.

If you can't find any guidance on what "small" means, I would suggest use a few of the 250 words to give your own definition, which will at show you know something about the importance of project planning and time management.

nyr said:
would that really qualify as a "small engineering project?"
As Aleph pointed out, that term is relative.
I did not, however, mean to imply that you should develop a prosthetic limb from the ground up. It's just the general area that I was trying to interest you in. If electronics is your thing, perhaps you could investigate improving the signal filtering of a myo- or neuro-electric sensor circuit. If you're more into mechanical stuff as I am, maybe see if something can be done to minimize frictional losses in a tiny gearbox.
Those are just all random generalized notions, though. If you really do feel an affinity for the field, you'll think of something.

By the bye, my favourite cousin is a biomedical engineer/musician. He invented a low-pain bone biopsy needle about 40 years ago. Of course, the company that he worked for took the credit, kept the patent, and turfed him.

Related to Crafting a Winning Biomedical Engineering Project Proposal for UVA Application

1. What is the purpose of a biomedical engineering project proposal for UVA application?

The purpose of a biomedical engineering project proposal for UVA application is to outline a potential research project that will be conducted by the applicant during their time at the university. This proposal serves as a key component of the application process and allows the admissions committee to evaluate the applicant's research interests, skills, and potential for success in the program.

2. What should be included in a biomedical engineering project proposal for UVA application?

A biomedical engineering project proposal for UVA application should include a clear and concise description of the research question or problem being addressed, the proposed methodology and approach, the significance and potential impact of the project, and the applicant's qualifications and experience related to the project. It should also include a detailed timeline and budget for the project.

3. How should the biomedical engineering project proposal for UVA application be structured?

The structure of the biomedical engineering project proposal for UVA application may vary, but it typically follows a standard format including an introduction, literature review, research objectives and methodology, expected outcomes and impact, and a conclusion. It is important to follow the guidelines provided by the university and to clearly label each section of the proposal.

4. How can I make my biomedical engineering project proposal stand out?

To make your biomedical engineering project proposal stand out, it is important to clearly articulate your research question and objectives, demonstrate the significance and potential impact of your proposed project, and highlight your qualifications and experience related to the project. Additionally, including supporting data, visuals, and references can strengthen your proposal.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when crafting a biomedical engineering project proposal for UVA application?

Some common mistakes to avoid when crafting a biomedical engineering project proposal for UVA application include not following the guidelines provided by the university, not clearly stating the research question and objectives, not providing enough detail or support for the proposed project, and not proofreading for grammatical and spelling errors. It is also important to avoid plagiarizing or using overly technical language that may be difficult for the admissions committee to understand.