Crank Slider mechanism analysis

In summary, the problem involves finding the velocity and acceleration for all points (B, C, D, E and G) in a mechanism using analytical methods. The equations used for the crank slider part are $$\begin{aligned}v_e &= r_e \frac{d\theta}{dt} + v_b\\a_e &= r_e \frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2} + 2 v_b \frac{d\theta}{dt} + a_b\end{aligned}$$ and for the external link 5, they are $$\begin{aligned}v_5 &= \sqrt{(r_e \cos{\theta} + l_4)^2 + (r_e \sin{\
salmansl

Homework Statement

For the mechanism shown, analytically find A) Velocity B) Acceleration. Of All points (B, C, D, E and G) The lengths of all links are given in the photo. It has to be solved using the analytical velocity and acceleration method. I've attempted so far deriving the equations, for the crank slider part, and seems like I'm getting wrong values for the external link 5.

Homework Equations

media%2F6bf%2F6bf4e7fb-ccff-4710-892f-8ab542cf6fe8%2FphpdIuiw2.png
media%2F1a3%2F1a340a47-a921-4d6e-905e-ef52be9e237b%2Fphp3TgvhG.png
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry about my attempted solution's picture, my camera isn't working well.

Attachments

• 20151215_182319.jpg
    20151215_182319.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 487
Physics news on Phys.org
I've used the analytical method to derive equations for the crank slider part which is this:$$\begin{aligned}v_e &= r_e \frac{d\theta}{dt} + v_b\\a_e &= r_e \frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2} + 2 v_b \frac{d\theta}{dt} + a_b\end{aligned}$$Then using the given lengths, I have these equations for the external link 5:$$\begin{aligned}v_5 &= \sqrt{(r_e \cos{\theta} + l_4)^2 + (r_e \sin{\theta} + l_5)^2}\frac{d\theta}{dt} + v_e\\a_5 &= \sqrt{(r_e \cos{\theta} + l_4)^2 + (r_e \sin{\theta} + l_5)^2}\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2} + 2 v_e \frac{d\theta}{dt} + a_e\end{aligned}$$I'm having trouble getting the correct values for the velocity and acceleration of point 5. Any help would be appreciated!

1. What is a crank slider mechanism?

A crank slider mechanism is a mechanical device that converts rotary motion (circular motion) into reciprocating motion (back and forth motion). It consists of a crank (rotating arm) and a slider (sliding block), connected by a connecting rod.

2. How does a crank slider mechanism work?

The crank slider mechanism works by using the rotary motion of the crank to move the slider back and forth in a straight line. As the crank rotates, it pushes and pulls the connecting rod, causing the slider to move in a reciprocating motion.

3. What are the applications of a crank slider mechanism?

Crank slider mechanisms have a wide range of applications, including in engines, pumps, and various types of machinery. They are also commonly used in mechanical toys and models.

4. What factors affect the performance of a crank slider mechanism?

The performance of a crank slider mechanism is affected by several factors, such as the design and dimensions of the crank, connecting rod, and slider, the speed and torque of the crank, and the amount of friction present in the mechanism.

5. How is the analysis of a crank slider mechanism carried out?

The analysis of a crank slider mechanism involves using mathematical equations and principles of mechanics to determine the motion, forces, and stresses within the mechanism. Computer simulations and physical experiments are also used to validate the analysis and optimize the design of the mechanism.