Create a Nonsense Word: Gabblerdictum

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about nonsense words and phrases used for different situations. Some examples mentioned are "gabblerdictum" for a chatter box, "doomaflinky" for people or things, and "whozawhatsis" for when someone can't remember a name. Other words mentioned are "hornswaggle" for cheating, "squinky" and "floopy" for unknown objects, and "galumphing" for awkward movement. The conversation also includes the use of nonsense words in literature, such as "jabberwocky" from Lewis Carroll's poem.
countryboy said:
"I done retch my point of pisstification."
:smile: :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
yomamma said:
does anyone know why When I tried to type jabber-wocky (without the hyphen) the post said javascript
Someone's going to have to ask Greg or Chroot about that one. Some programmer must have been a fan of Lewis Carroll. :smile:

Ivan Seeking said:
MB and I agree that galumphing is a form of locomotion that lands between a trot and a canter. Large, awkward dogs often galumph.
But, is that a nonsense word? I mean, both of us use it to mean the same thing and we never knew each other before we started using it, and we live on opposite ends of the country, and move in different circles, so surely it's a word in common usage for us both to know it, right?

Oh, apparently our high school had its own language since I've never found anyone from anywhere else who uses this same word...ginkers were the kids who dressed in the heavy metal band black t-shirts, torn jeans, chain on their wallet, leather or denim jacket, long hair (think 80s hair band type hair), usually found out on the corners near the school smoking and cutting classes (they were especially good at standing near the hole in the fence at the back of the school property, and stepping through onto school ground when the truancy officer came around and slipping through onto the street side if a teacher came around...somehow the teachers and truancy officer never managed to coordinate their efforts to round up those kids.

How about sayings?

My favourite, used by a family I know well, is "not on pen". This refers to the way infants in school use pencils to write with until they have enough ability to use a pen. There are always a few slow kids in every class that are 'not on pen'.

A real cutting comment, that as far as I know is only used by a few people!
Great stuff.

When I was a kid, the neighbor kid's dad was always at "Union meetings". Even by age nine or ten we all knew that the union hall was the local bar.

In our family, "under the pig" meant to kiss a girl; well, for me at least. This was because the first time I ever kissed a girl was while under the big cement pig at nursery school. In the eight grade, while on a school field trip, I was caught in the bushes with Robin; which was much more fun than under the pig by the way. Anyway, at that point my mom lost her sense of humor about the whole thing and it never came up again.

well, its not really a nonsense word... but in my house, we always say er... well i can't spell it really... kapshida?.. (kahp-shee-dah) its korean i think. it means hurry up i think. We always say it right before dinner... like, instead of "come and get it!" we say "kapshida!" friends would come over and get really confused.

also, when i curse, i get very creative, because i try to be unnoffensive. i usually end up with strings of nonesensical words. like "sugar-coated-fishinger-snap-cuddle-buck-daster-crack! holy-mother-of-pease-cobble-shanny-milk-leaver-parson!"

that especially happens when i play video games, i'll just sit and play and the words just flow...

Gale17 said:
also, when i curse, i get very creative, because i try to be unnoffensive. i usually end up with strings of nonesensical words. like "sugar-coated-fishinger-snap-cuddle-buck-daster-crack! holy-mother-of-pease-cobble-shanny-milk-leaver-parson!"

that especially happens when i play video games, i'll just sit and play and the words just flow...
For awhile, my favorite curse word was "Pisarcik". It just sounded good. It also left just about everyone stumped about what that meant - even most of the guys. You had to be a pretty avid NFL fan to know Joe Pisarcik spent his entire career backing up some pretty mediocre quarterbacks.

Gale17 said:
well, its not really a nonsense word... but in my house, we always say er... well i can't spell it really... kapshida?.. (kahp-shee-dah) its korean i think. it means hurry up i think. We always say it right before dinner... like, instead of "come and get it!" we say "kapshida!" friends would come over and get really confused.

That makes you a JABERWOKY :biggrin:

My uncle, a mechanic, would occassionally twit a customer by referring to the ujocopivy of the perfilarious in his engine. (This, of course, was back in the 30's when engines still had such a thing. :biggrin: )

not really a nonsense word.. but i use noob a lot..

yeah..

cronxeh said:
not really a nonsense word.. but i use noob a lot..

yeah..

And noob is?

Danger said:
My uncle, a mechanic, would occassionally twit a customer by referring to the ujocopivy of the perfilarious in his engine. (This, of course, was back in the 30's when engines still had such a thing. :biggrin: )
I cannot believe a mechanic would be dishonest.

wolram said:
And noob is?

:smile: wow zoob you really don't know what it is? you such a noob :biggrin:

noob is a slang for newbie

Gale17 said:
i try to be unnoffensive
ppfft! unoffensive, where's the fun in that
wolram said:
and noob is?
jeez, you're a n00b

wolram said:
I cannot believe a mechanic would be dishonest.
Not dishonest. He was very good. If someone really wanted to know what the trouble was, he'd tell them. Of course, it was always itemized properly on the bill. Most people just didn't know enough about cars to understand what he was talking about anyhow. There weren't an awful lot of them around here back then. At least half of the transportation was still horse-drawn. Even a lot of people who owned cars couldn't afford to drive them during the Depression. And there was no mechanics school at the time. He was self-taught, and in some cases didn't know the name of the thing himself. He sure knew if it wasn't working properly, though. It's about the same as if a computer tech said 'Ah, this here transflovian flux scrubber is fried. Just needs some new chips,' and proceeds to replace a faulty USB card. I see no harm in it if there's no fraud.

I don't know whether your post was serious or sarcastic, but the same answer applies either way. :-p

Last edited:
wolram said:
And noob is?
cronxeh said:
:smile: wow zoob you really don't know what it is? you such a noob
I'm very curious as to why cronxeh is referring to Wolram as "zoob".

zoobyshoe said:
I'm very curious as to why cronxeh is referring to Wolram as "zoob".
It's just an informal way of insulting him. :-p

cronxeh said:
noob is a slang for newbie
Not exactly, Danger. Noob is short for newbie, not "slang" for newbie.

Danger said:
It's just an informal way of insulting him. :-p
I think I see what you mean.

newbie <> zoobie
Very different things. Though I guess you could be a newbie zooby..? :confused: I'll defer to the expert on this.

zoobyshoe said:

HILARIOUS!

Math Is Hard said:
newbie <> zoobie
Very different things. Though I guess you could be a newbie zooby..? :confused: I'll defer to the expert on this.
Zooby was once a newbie, absolutely.

Cronxeh, though, may simply be posting in the throes of some drug induced delerium. I can't really tell.

Gale17 said:
HILARIOUS!
You're too kind!

My favorite (owed to the Travelocity Gnome) is "bullhonkery." It's hilarious the way he uses this word to describe the proposition that buying airline tickets online is a difficult thing to do.

Something a bit nonsensical now is the expression "swimming suit". I prefer to call it a swimming tuxedo.

zoobyshoe said:
'Newbie' itself is slang. The proper short-form for it would be 'newb'. 'Noob' is therefore a slang short-form for a slang term, making it a double-slang (or slong).

Gale17 said:
HILARIOUS!
I used to just think that you had no sense of humour. This would tend to confirm it.

loseyourname said:
My favorite (owed to the Travelocity Gnome) is "bullhonkery."
I've never heard that one before, but I like it.

Ivan Seeking said:
Something a bit nonsensical now is the expression "swimming suit". I prefer to call it a swimming tuxedo.
I've found that any suit, tuxedo or otherwise, when thrown into water, pretty much just floats around for a while and then might or might not sink dependent upon density, absorbancy, etc.. I have yet to see one swim.

Danger said:
I used to just think that you had no sense of humour. This would tend to confirm it.

OUCH! BUUURRN! so you know, i have a *fantastmic sense of humor. just to prove it, here's a joke.

Me: How do you get an elephant out of a Safeway? (a safeway is a grocery store for those who don't know.)
You: i dunno, how?
Me: You take the 'S' out of Safe and the 'F' out of Way!

...Long pause while you think...
You: But... but... there's no F' in way!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

you got to think about it, but man, soooo funny! seriously. people get sooo confused and then finally they just think out loud... and oh man, its great. i laugh. that;s my favorite joke.

so there you go danger, I've a great sense of humor!

*made up word that i just realize i use all the time!

*scratches head*

ehm.. wha?

ya... no one ever gets that joke... there's stuff whited out.

awell... perhaps my sense of humor is a bit off afterall...

Eky thump, seems to be getting popular in uk, don't know is that's correct
spelling.
used as, " what the eky thump is that".

Gale17 said:
Me: How do you get an elephant out of a Safeway? (a safeway is a grocery store for those who don't know.)
You: i dunno, how?
Me: You take the 'S' out of Safe and the 'F' out of Way!
I actually like that joke. I liked it the first time that I heard it 25 years ago, and I still like it. :-p

wolram said:
Eky thump, seems to be getting popular in uk, don't know is that's correct
spelling.
used as, " what the eky thump is that".
Yeah, well... you guys like soccer too, so it figures. Even as a fellow member of the Commonwealth, those go beyond my cultural limitations. And I'd like to know where Nogger came up with "blinkin' flip" that he used a couple of months ago. I love it, and I've used it, but I don't know the derivation.

Danger said:
'Newbie' itself is slang. The proper short-form for it would be 'newb'. 'Noob' is therefore a slang short-form for a slang term, making it a double-slang (or slong).
"Noob" is not slang for "newb". It is a deliberate misspelling of it, done for whimsical effect. "Noob" remains short for "newbie".