Most commonly misspelled science and math words

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
  • Featured
In summary: Its/It's ;)lolDiarrhea seems to be misspelled often.But that probably wasn't what you were looking for.
.Scott said:
Although 'k' for kilo is the SI standard, more often than not, KBaud, Kbit, and Kbytes are more often 'K' than 'k'.
1 kbit = 1000 bit
1 Kbit = 1024 bit
The latter not being SI standard but JEDEC standard iirc.

Likes DrClaude, topsquark and DaveE
Physics news on Phys.org
A scientific and technical spell checker should detect incomplete units.
"gallon" or "gal " should not pass. Use gal(US) or gal(imp).
"ton " should not pass. Use ton(short), ton(long), or metric "tonne", which is 1000 kg.

Likes topsquark
Are malapropisms classed as spelling errors ?
“To be pacific”, is commonly replacing "to be specific".
January should be followed by February, not Febuary.
Then hydroscopic instruments are used to look into deep water, while hygroscopic materials take up moisture from the atmosphere.
People now “hone in”, where I would “home in”. I use hone while fine finishing surfaces or cutting edges.
There is a minuscule problem with miniscule.

• Haha
Likes Klystron, BillTre and topsquark
And the common mistake "Wein.bridge" (wine-bridge) which should of course be Wien bridge.
To be precise: Wien is the correct name of the city of Vienna, Wein is wine.
And another: The Norwegian word "malstrøm" (meaning grind-stream) is almost always miswritten as "maelstrom" (which would be "mælstrøm" which is meaningless). What is it with the English and diphtongs?

Likes fresh_42, topsquark and Baluncore
Svein said:
What is it with the English and diphtongs?
I assume you meant diphthongs.

• Haha
Likes topsquark
Svein said:
What is it with the English and diphtongs?
They probably discussed it over a nice smouergeausbeurd.
Actually… that’s probably just Scanian accent …

Likes topsquark
Baluncore said:
I assume you meant diphthongs.
Of course - I have never seen it spelled in English and the spellchecker did not react.

By the way - the Norwegian/Danish "ø" is the same letter and sound as the "ö" and is pronounced as the vowel sound in "first".

Orodruin said:
smouergeausbeurd
That is a Swedish expression and is written "smörgåsbord". I do not know the English equivalent - it translates sloppily as "sandwich-table" (not a table made of sandwiches, but a serving-table with all kinds of sandwiches).
Actually, English has lots of words with Scandinavian roots - check out .

Likes topsquark
Svein said:
And the common mistake "Wein.bridge" (wine-bridge) which should of course be Wien bridge.
To be precise: Wien is the correct name of the city of Vienna, Wein is wine.
And another: The Norwegian word "malstrøm" (meaning grind-stream) is almost always miswritten as "maelstrom" (which would be "mælstrøm" which is meaningless). What is it with the English and diphtongs?
Actually, maelstrom is the accepted English spelling. I don't know why as the a shouldn't have been translated to an æ. Butthe English speakers aren't wrong, the lexicographers were! :cool:

-Dan

topsquark said:
Actually, maelstrom is the accepted English spelling. I don't know why as the a shouldn't have been translated to an æ. Butthe English speakers aren't wrong, the lexicographers were! :cool:
But English-language lexicographers don't invent spellings and meanings of words; they observe and record how words are already being used in the real English-speaking world. So if sufficient numbers of people use a "wrong" spelling, the wrong spelling becomes right.

Likes dextercioby and topsquark
Svein said:
That is a Swedish expression and is written "smörgåsbord". I do not know the English equivalent - it translates sloppily as "sandwich-table" (not a table made of sandwiches, but a serving-table with all kinds of sandwiches).
Actually, English has lots of words with Scandinavian roots - check out .

I am aware. I am Swedish.
The word itself (ö and å replaced by o and a) is actually the correct English and an excellent example of a word borrowed from Swedish to English.

Likes topsquark
Wiktionary claims the English word maelstrom originates in old Dutch word maelstroom (modern Dutch being maalstroom). The exact relation to the Nordic version is not discussed but likely of common origin.

Likes topsquark
The german version Mahlstrom (sometimes Malstrom) means vortex and comes from the dutch word maalstrom (malen = drehen = turning).

Likes topsquark
Another malapropism.
For all intents and purposes is becoming for all intensive purposes.

Likes topsquark
Svein said:
That is a Swedish expression and is written "smörgåsbord". I do not know the English equivalent ...

A common North American English equivalent buffet likely derives from French. A buffet features a variety of self-serve dishes sometimes anchored by a chef slicing roast meats. Participants serve themselves from hot and cold trays arranged in lines, juggling warmed or chilled plates, able to call out delectable choices to acquaintances.

My adopted home state of Nevada transforms this cafeteria experience into an extravaganza of excess, raising smörgåsbord to high art with certain hot dishes made to order by sous-chefs and icy cold desserts compiled by a friendly confectioner. Notwithstanding this interesting variety, even pre-pandemic, I prefer restaurants that bring food and drinks to guests at their table to balancing loaded plates from buffet line to table and back again.

The first smörgåsbord restaurant my family frequented in the then tiny town of Cupertino CA named "Fiords" featured Scandanavian folk music and dancing on holidays amid tasty 'family' foods.

Likes topsquark
  • Haha
Likes berkeman and topsquark
" In a lecture series on approximation theory, Besicovitch announced, "zere is no 't' in ze name Chebysov" (P. Chebychev, 1821-1894). Two weeks later he said, "Ve now introduce ze class of T-polynomials. They are called T-polynomials because T is ze first letter of ze name Chebyshov."

• Haha
Likes berkeman and topsquark
I was told of a test where the spell check changed the words and the examiners did not catch the change.

At one point during the test, the question asked for the periapsis. The spell check changed this to a biological word regarding reproduction. Later in the same test a question regarded mensuration. Again the spell check changed this with a biological meaning.

• Haha
Likes berkeman