Create a pocket pedometer just with accelerometer

In summary, you can create a pocket step counter / pedometer just with accelerometer. The hard part is calibrating it and adjusting it so it properly registers one step per step.
rushi121
Can I create a pocket step counter / pedometer just with accelerometer? If yes, can you explain how can I do that?

The device should detect step irrespective of direction of device.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Certainly. The easy part is to get it to detect something. The hard part is calibrating it and adjusting it so it properly registers one step per step.

Khashishi said:
Certainly. The easy part is to get it to detect something. The hard part is calibrating it and adjusting it so it properly registers one step per step.
Will that device give false alarm if it is in the car?

You would want to program it so that it only counts jounces in a certain range of frequencies corresponding to normal human paces. It wouldn't eliminate false counts but it would cut them down.

rushi121 said:
Will that device give false alarm if it is in the car?
Depends on what you do in the car.

Likes berkeman
I would think all electronic pedometers work this way already.

The algorithms to extract footsteps from accelerometers is a high art. Everyone who builds such a product has their own secret sauce for the filters, correlations, etc. There are open source examples for android.
https://www.openhub.net/p/pedometer for example.

Lots of helpful information if you search for "open source pedometer" or "pedometer algorithms"

What about "that's the way everybody does it" and "the hard part is calibrating it" are considered as useful answers?

meBigGuy said:
What about "that's the way everybody does it" and "the hard part is calibrating it" are considered as useful answers?
You're saying "everybody does it that way" isn't a useful answer? The OP asked if it can be done that way, so saying "everybody does it that way" is a resounding "yes". It's a clear answer to exactly the question asked.

You can buy pedometers with LCD displays and battery included on alibaba.com for $0.275 each. The cheapest accelerometer chip I can find costs $0.81. That suggests that there must be a much simpler, less expensive, eclectronic way to do it.

my wife has owned a number of pedometers (5 - 6) and having looked inside them when doing battery changes
NONE of them use accelerometers
ALL of them used a sprung pendulum arrangement to generate pulses either by a magnet on the pendulum and a hall sensor or a physical switch
being activated as the pendulum bounced up and downDave

davenn said:
my wife has owned a number of pedometers (5 - 6) and having looked inside them when doing battery changes
NONE of them use accelerometers
ALL of them used a sprung pendulum arrangement to generate pulses either by a magnet on the pendulum and a hall sensor or a physical switch
being activated as the pendulum bounced up and down
My mistake - I would have expected that's obsolete technology that had gone away. So I guess they are still around, though reviewers seem to be steering people away from them:
https://www.walkingwithattitude.com...eter-vs-accelerometer-pedometer-piezoelectric

A lot of people are using mobile phones as pedometers; those as well as fitbit type fitness bands use accelerometers.

russ_watters said:
My mistake - I would have expected that's obsolete technology that had gone away. So I guess they are still around,

no mistake made ... just an observation on my part :)
it would still be the simplest way to DIY build one

russ_watters said:
A lot of people are using mobile phones as pedometers; those as well as fitbit type fitness bands use accelerometers.

yup indeed :smile:

1. How does a pocket pedometer with accelerometer work?

A pocket pedometer with accelerometer uses a small sensor called an accelerometer to measure changes in motion and acceleration. This data is then used to track your steps and movement throughout the day.

2. What are the benefits of using a pocket pedometer with accelerometer?

Using a pocket pedometer with accelerometer can help you track your daily activity levels and motivate you to increase your physical activity. It can also provide valuable insights into your movement patterns and help you set and achieve fitness goals.

3. How accurate is a pocket pedometer with accelerometer?

The accuracy of a pocket pedometer with accelerometer can vary depending on the quality of the sensor and the algorithm used to track steps. However, most modern pedometers with accelerometers have a high level of accuracy and can track steps with an error rate of less than 5%.

4. Can a pocket pedometer with accelerometer be used for other activities besides walking?

Yes, a pocket pedometer with accelerometer can be used for a variety of activities including running, cycling, and even swimming. However, it is important to note that the accuracy may vary for different activities and it is best to consult the manufacturer's instructions for specific usage.

5. How can I make the most of my pocket pedometer with accelerometer?

To make the most of your pocket pedometer with accelerometer, it is important to wear it correctly and regularly check and reset the device to ensure accuracy. It can also be helpful to set daily step goals and track your progress over time to stay motivated and achieve your fitness goals.