Create curve function from intersection of two surfaces

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a curve from two equations and solving for z by setting the equations equal to each other. However, this approach eliminates important information and results in a surface instead of a curve. The correct approach is to use one variable as the curve parameter.
Addez123
Homework Statement
Create the curve r(u) from
$$4x - y^2 = 0$$
and
$$x^2+y^2-z = 0$$
Relevant Equations
Vector calculus
What I do is set the two equations equal to one another and solve for z.
This gives:
$$z = \sqrt{x^2+2y^2-4x}$$
which is a surface and not a curve.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Addez123 said:
Create the curve r(u) from
$$4x - y^2 = 0$$
and
$$x^2+y^2-z = 0$$

Addez123 said:
This gives:
$$z = \sqrt{x^2+2y^2-4x}$$
which is a surface and not a curve.

What am I doing wrong?
I don't see how you got the equation you show.

The two equations can be rewritten as
##y^2 = 4x## and
##z = x^2 + y^2##
Note that from the equations above, that ##x \ge 0## and ##z \ge 0##.
Substituting, we get ##z = x^2 + 4x##.

Likes Addez123
Addez123 said:
Homework Statement:: Create the curve r(u) from
$$4x - y^2 = 0$$
and
$$x^2+y^2-z = 0$$
Relevant Equations:: Vector calculus

What do you even mean by this? The two equations are independent equations and putting two independent equations equal to each other makes no sense whatsoever.

If you mean that you put the non-zero sides of the equations equal to each other then that is where you went wrong because you just threw away the information that both expressions are equal to zero independently and you will end up with the surface along which those expressions take the same value regardless of whether that value is zero or not.

Likes Addez123
Ahh it's true!
I eliminated the information when i set them equal. I should've done like @Mark44 suggested and used
$$y^2 = 4x$$
into the second equation. Then I can easily get a one variable function/curve.

Note: I would use ##y## as the curve parameter instead.

1. How do you create a curve function from the intersection of two surfaces?

To create a curve function from the intersection of two surfaces, you will need to first identify the equations for the two surfaces. Then, you can set the two equations equal to each other and solve for one of the variables. This will give you a function with one variable, which can be used to plot the curve.

2. What is the purpose of creating a curve function from the intersection of two surfaces?

The purpose of creating a curve function from the intersection of two surfaces is to better understand the relationship between the two surfaces. It can also be used to find points of intersection and to graph the curve in 2D or 3D space.

3. Can a curve function be created from any two intersecting surfaces?

Yes, a curve function can be created from any two intersecting surfaces as long as the equations for the surfaces are known. However, in some cases, the curve function may be complex and difficult to find without the use of computer software.

4. What are some common techniques for creating a curve function from the intersection of two surfaces?

Some common techniques for creating a curve function from the intersection of two surfaces include using substitution, elimination, or the method of Lagrange multipliers. These techniques involve manipulating the equations of the surfaces to solve for one variable and create a function with the remaining variables.

5. Are there any limitations to creating a curve function from the intersection of two surfaces?

One limitation to creating a curve function from the intersection of two surfaces is that it may not always be possible to find a simple, explicit function. In some cases, the curve may be described by a more complex equation or may need to be approximated using numerical methods. Additionally, the accuracy of the curve function may be limited by the accuracy of the equations for the surfaces.