Find all points of intersection

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the points of intersection between a spheroid and a cone stretched along the z-axis. By calculating their gradients and setting their dot product equal to zero, it is determined that the intersection occurs when z^2 = 4x^2 + 8y^2. However, when trying to find the intersection with one of the surfaces, there is confusion as to whether it forms a surface or just points or a curve. It is noted that there may be a sign error in one of the equations.
Addez123
Homework Statement
Find all points where the level surface
$$4x^2+y^2+z^2 = 8$$
and
$$x^2+9y^2=z^2$$
intersects eachother at a 90 degree angle.
Relevant Equations
Surface 1: $$4x^2+y^2+z^2 = 8$$
Surface 2: $$x^2+9y^2 - z^2 = 0$$
First I try to visualize it:
w = Surface 1, is a spheroid
w_2 = Surface 2 is a cone stretching up the z axisThen I calculate their gradients:
$$∇w = (8x, 2y, 2z)$$
$$∇w_2 = (2x, 18y, 2z)$$

The points where they intersect at 90 degrees is when dot product is zero.
$$∇w \cdot ∇w_2 = 0$$
$$16x^2 + 36y^2 - 4z^2 = 0$$
$$z^2 =4x^2 + 8y^2$$
This is a cone stretched differently in x and y axis, but a cone none the less.
Now I need to find where this cone intersects with EITHER the sphere (Surface 1) or the inital cone (Surface 2). Where these intersects, curve 1 and 2 intersect under 90 degree angle. This happens when I set $$z^2 = z_2^2$$.

I use the cone, Surface 2, equation:
$$x^2 + 9y^2 = 4x^2 + 8y^2$$
$$3x^2 - y^2 = 0$$

This is where I get confused. There's no z coordinates so if this was a circle I'd assume it was a cylinder stretching up the whole z-axis.
But the answer is suppose to be either just points, or a curve. It makes no sense that the intersection would create another surface.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Addez123 said:
Homework Statement:: Find all points where the level curves
What am I doing wrong?
My guess is you never make use of this 'level curves' in the problem statement
By the way
Addez123 said:
is a sphere
No. It is a spheroid.

BvU said:
My guess is you never make use of this 'level curves' in the problem statement
By the way
No. It is a spheroid.

I do use the level surfaces, especially when I combine surface 2 with the surface representing all points at which the two functions form 90 degree angles:

Addez123 said:
I use the cone, Surface 2, equation:
$$x^2 + 9y^2 = 4x^2 + 8y^2$$

From post 1:
##x^2+9y^2=z^2##
You have a sign error in this equation.

Addez123 said:
##∇w_2 = (2x, 18y, 2z)##

Mark44 said:
From post 1:
You have a sign error in this equation.
Thanks! I saw that before tho and changed everywhere but apparently forgot to change that line. Eitherway you can see the dot product is still correct.

Can someone move this to the calculus sub-forum? This isn't homework.

It's enough like a homework question that it should remain here.

1. What is meant by "Find all points of intersection"?

When we say "Find all points of intersection", we are referring to the process of determining the coordinates where two or more lines, curves, or surfaces intersect each other.

2. How do you find all points of intersection algebraically?

To find all points of intersection algebraically, we can use the method of substitution or elimination. This involves solving the equations of the lines or curves simultaneously to find the values of the variables at the point(s) of intersection.

3. Can you use graphing to find all points of intersection?

Yes, graphing can also be used to find all points of intersection. We can plot the equations of the lines or curves on a graph and visually determine the coordinates of the point(s) where they intersect.

4. Are there any limitations to finding all points of intersection?

It is important to note that not all lines, curves, or surfaces will intersect each other. In some cases, there may be no points of intersection, or there may be an infinite number of points of intersection. It is also possible to have complex or imaginary solutions when solving equations algebraically.

5. Why is finding all points of intersection important in science?

Finding all points of intersection is important in science because it allows us to understand the relationships between different variables or phenomena. It can also help us make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of systems or processes.