Create Pneumatic Bicycle: High Torque or RPM?

In summary, the conversation is about creating a pneumatic bicycle and determining whether high torque low rpm or higher rpm with lower torque would be more effective. The speaker also brings up the efficiency and viability of using pneumatic energy storage for vehicles. Designs and considerations for the bike, such as using a compressor/motor and a fixed volume tank or inflatable bladder, are also discussed. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use a variable displacement pump/motor for efficiency.
Mesmerizer
I wish to create a pneumatic bicycle but not sure if i should use high torque low rpm or higher rpm with lower torque.
I am thinking that a low rpm with high torque will use less compressed air and make better use of the PSI.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

What exactly is a pneumatic bicycle?
Does it simply replace the chain with pneumatics?
Does it operate a compressor / motor to store energy?
Does it have a fixed volume tank or in an inflatable bladder?

Have you looked for designs on the web?

I suspect you will need high internal pressure to get a solid drive.
If you want efficiency you will need a variable displacement pump / motor.

Mesmerizer said:
I wish to create a pneumatic bicycle but not sure if i should use high torque low rpm or higher rpm with lower torque.
I am thinking that a low rpm with high torque will use less compressed air and make better use of the PSI.

Welcome to the PF.

Pneumatic energy storage is not an efficient mechanism for vehicles. How many such vehicles do you see on the road right now?

1. What is a pneumatic bicycle?

A pneumatic bicycle is a type of bicycle that uses compressed air to power its movement instead of traditional pedals and chains. This technology is commonly used in industries such as transportation and manufacturing, but it is now being explored for use in bicycles as well.

2. How does a pneumatic bicycle work?

A pneumatic bicycle works by using compressed air stored in a tank to drive a motor, which then powers the wheels. The air pressure in the tank is controlled by a valve that releases air into the motor, causing the bike to move forward.

3. What are the advantages of a pneumatic bicycle?

One of the main advantages of a pneumatic bicycle is its high torque output. This means that it can generate a lot of power to move the bike forward, even at low speeds. Additionally, since it is powered by compressed air, it is environmentally friendly and does not produce any emissions.

4. Should I choose a high torque or high RPM pneumatic bicycle?

The choice between high torque or high RPM depends on your specific needs. High torque is better for steep inclines and heavy loads, while high RPM is better for achieving faster speeds. It is important to consider your riding terrain and goals when choosing between the two.

5. Are there any limitations to using a pneumatic bicycle?

Like any technology, there are limitations to using a pneumatic bicycle. One limitation is the need for a compressed air tank, which adds weight to the bike. Additionally, the range of a pneumatic bicycle is limited by the amount of compressed air in the tank, so it may not be suitable for long-distance rides.