Creating a College Routine: Balancing Lectures and Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses daily schedules and study habits of college students. The participants mention their majors, lecture hours, homework time, and holiday breaks. They also share their study schedules and mention the confusion caused by using the term "credits." One person is double majoring in physics and math and spends most of their time studying, with lighter weekends but still spending 5+ hours on reading and homework.
Ranendon
What is your daily schedule like? How many hours you spend on lectures, and how many hours you spend doing homework? How much do you study during weekends? Do you have "summer-break" like in high school, if so how long? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
For what reasons are you asking?

Are you asking for a specific major or just for the general college student? Also for what regions, as in inside or outside of the U.S.?

Likes Ranendon
zAbso said:
For what reasons are you asking?

Are you asking for a specific major or just for the general college student? Also for what regions, as in inside or outside of the U.S.?
All of the above. Just say what specific major you're doing, and from which country you're from. This is sort of survey, so that other people who might be considering joining a university could see the information dealing with actual, every-day regime. Thank you.

I'm currently majoring in both computer science and physics, minoring in chemistry (though I'm having trouble fitting a few classes into my schedule). Currently looking at approximately 9 lecture hours, the rest are lab credits (totaling 12 credit hours, so a light schedule this semester). Yes we get holiday breaks, the times vary from a day, a few days, a few weeks, and a month or greater.

You can read about my study/homework schedule here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/studying-too-much-or-too-little.850411/#post-5333206

Likes Ranendon
zAbso said:
I'm currently majoring in both computer science and physics, minoring in chemistry (though I'm having trouble fitting a few classes into my schedule). Currently looking at approximately 9 lecture hours, the rest are lab credits (totaling 12 credit hours, so a light schedule this semester). Yes we get holiday breaks, the times vary from a day, a few days, a few weeks, and a month or greater.

You can read about my study/homework schedule here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/studying-too-much-or-too-little.850411/#post-5333206
Thank you. Let's wait for others to join and add. One request tho, if you people are going to post something here, maybe you could avoid using term "credits" since many people who might be considering joining a university might not know what credits are and thus be confused. Just say how many hours per day you study. Thank you.

Double majoring in physics and math. I'm currently doing 20 units this quarter, being at school roughly from 10 to 5 each day. I'm taking 2 physics classes (em, astrophysics) , 2 math classes (diff geometry, pdes), phys lab, and research. I pretty much am studying (whether for my classes or separate independent study/research) most of the time when I get home, other than the occasional breaks. Weekends are usually a bit lighter although I spend a good amount of time on reading and homework (5+ hrs on sat/sun)

Likes Ranendon

What is the best way to balance lectures and homework in college?

The best way to balance lectures and homework in college is to create a schedule that allocates enough time for both. This can be done by using a planner or a digital calendar to map out your class schedule, study time, and free time. It is important to also prioritize your tasks and focus on completing them one at a time.

How can I stay motivated to stick to my college routine?

Staying motivated can be challenging, but it is important to remember the end goal of achieving good grades and completing your degree. You can also stay motivated by setting smaller goals and rewarding yourself when you achieve them. It can also be helpful to find a study group or a study partner to keep each other accountable.

What are some tips for managing my time effectively in college?

Some tips for managing time effectively in college include setting realistic goals and deadlines, breaking down larger tasks into smaller ones, and avoiding procrastination. It is also important to take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout.

How can I balance extracurricular activities with my college routine?

To balance extracurricular activities with your college routine, it is important to prioritize your commitments and make sure they do not interfere with your academic responsibilities. This may mean limiting the number of extracurricular activities you participate in or finding ways to combine them with your academic work, such as joining a club related to your major.

What should I do if I fall behind on my college routine?

If you fall behind on your college routine, do not panic. Take a step back and assess the situation. Figure out what caused you to fall behind and make a plan to catch up. It may also be helpful to seek support from your professors, academic advisors, or peers. Remember to also practice self-compassion and not be too hard on yourself.