Creating a MMO in the Universe: Spacetime Online

• Thread starter Willis666
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a 15-year-old boy who has been studying physics and programming since a young age. He has created an MMO game called Spacetime Online, which is set in a universe where a strange event caused a giant mega-star and a black hole that destroyed most of the universe. The remaining humans have learned to harness dark matter and have sent scientists to recreate the universe. The boy is asking for opinions on the plausibility of the scenario and suggestions for the game. Some points to consider are the plausibility of the events, the scale of the black hole, and the possibility of harnessing dark matter. The game idea is to allow players to create and interact with objects in the universe.
Willis666
Hello guys, and let me introduce myself. I am a 15 year old boy who has been studying Physics in my own time since age 9. I have also been learning to program in PHP since age 11, and recently decided to make a MMO in PHP, based in the Universe, called Spacetime online. The game is based after a strange happening, 20 years in the future, when many large stars collided, and created a giant mega-star. My first question, would that be possible? If so, then continue. The next thing that happened was that caused a huge supernova, that created a giant black hole. That destroyed most of the universe, except for a small spot in "corner" of the universe. This spot was where humans who escaped the Earth (which was destroyed from too much pollution.) Went, where they created a colony on sattelites. Humans then learned how to "harness" dark matter, and thousands of scientists where sent out into the then empty space to recreate the universe (we can just say that the black hole destroyed itself :P) My next question is how (in the future) Would humans harness dark matter? May be difficult to answer, as we arent sure what dark matter is yet (of course we will discover some more soon, as that's what spaceshuttle endeavor was going to do...) Finally the game is based where players may go around, "spending" dark matter to recreate the universe. So really the game is just a endless "grid" where players can build universes, stars, etc. And players can interact with player created objects.
Thanks if you can answer any questions. I know I'm being unrealistic on some of this stuff, but I probably won't have many people who understand this playing the game.

Thanks for any help.

Space news on Phys.org
First of all, as long as this is merely a science fiction scenario, I doubt people will care about what is correct / incorrect. If you really do care though I might add a few things.
1. How did these large stars collide? You need a backstory to that because unless galactic canabalism is occurring, stars generally don't just "collide" with each other. And if it was galactic canabalism, the biggest of the 2 super massive black holes at the center of the galaxies would be exponentially larger than anything that could be created by a few large stars colliding.
2. If in fact a giant black hole was created, it would literaly have to be so freaking huge that it could destroy most of the universe. I'm not going to do the math behind that but I'll just let you know that if you wanted a black hole that swallowed up even 3% of the universe, it would need to be so large you couldn't comprehend it. So be careful with coming up with one that swallows up OVER 50% of the universe.
3. The black hole, being as large as it is, would not let that "small corner of the universe" survive for very long. It will continue to expand. Fast.
4. You should change it so that scientists learn to harness dark ENERGY instead of dark matter. I doubt dark matter would do much for them. Remember, dark matter only accounts for about 23% of the total mass energy density of the universe.
5. The game idea sounds really cool. Kind of like a garys mod for cosmology with a mmo aspect to it. Don't go overboard with trying to make it so real. Its more fun when its crazy anyways :P

Entropee said:
First of all, as long as this is merely a science fiction scenario, I doubt people will care about what is correct / incorrect. If you really do care though I might add a few things.
1. How did these large stars collide? You need a backstory to that because unless galactic canabalism is occurring, stars generally don't just "collide" with each other. And if it was galactic canabalism, the biggest of the 2 super massive black holes at the center of the galaxies would be exponentially larger than anything that could be created by a few large stars colliding.
2. If in fact a giant black hole was created, it would literaly have to be so freaking huge that it could destroy most of the universe. I'm not going to do the math behind that but I'll just let you know that if you wanted a black hole that swallowed up even 3% of the universe, it would need to be so large you couldn't comprehend it. So be careful with coming up with one that swallows up OVER 50% of the universe.
3. The black hole, being as large as it is, would not let that "small corner of the universe" survive for very long. It will continue to expand. Fast.
4. You should change it so that scientists learn to harness dark ENERGY instead of dark matter. I doubt dark matter would do much for them. Remember, dark matter only accounts for about 23% of the total mass energy density of the universe.
5. The game idea sounds really cool. Kind of like a garys mod for cosmology with a mmo aspect to it. Don't go overboard with trying to make it so real. Its more fun when its crazy anyways :P

Thanks, yeah the part about the giant black hole is stretching it, should I do something more like they discovered a way to recreate the big bang and create a multiverse? What I want to do with the game is make it so players can make the game themselves. I could also see some sick guild battles going on, over control of series of areas.

Willis666 said:
Thanks, yeah the part about the giant black hole is stretching it, should I do something more like they discovered a way to recreate the big bang and create a multiverse? What I want to do with the game is make it so players can make the game themselves. I could also see some sick guild battles going on, over control of series of areas.

Is the destruction of the universe necessary? Sticking with the black hole theme you could start with something along the lines of; in the not too distance future mankind creates a massive particle accelerator. But something goes wrong and they create a black hole that starts devouring the Earth. The few colonies located around the solar system quickly descend into economic disasters and war, a few intensive engineering efforts through generation ships far and wide in an effort to avoid the turmoil of the solar system. This is the story of one of those ships...

That way you can get away from Earth in some remote part of the universe and perhaps have the generation ship discover how to use dark energy on the way

ryan_m_b said:
Is the destruction of the universe necessary? Sticking with the black hole theme you could start with something along the lines of; in the not too distance future mankind creates a massive particle accelerator. But something goes wrong and they create a black hole that starts devouring the Earth. The few colonies located around the solar system quickly descend into economic disasters and war, a few intensive engineering efforts through generation ships far and wide in an effort to avoid the turmoil of the solar system. This is the story of one of those ships...

That way you can get away from Earth in some remote part of the universe and perhaps have the generation ship discover how to use dark energy on the way

I prefer this plot, it rolls easier with me.

I don't see what purpose destruction of the universe serves. It's a blank canvas either way, but ryan's method allows you to save a lot of ridiculous explanation.

JaredJames said:
I prefer this plot, it rolls easier with me.

I don't see what purpose destruction of the universe serves. It's a blank canvas either way, but ryan's method allows you to save a lot of ridiculous explanation.

Thank you :biggrin: unfortunately I'm not much of a writer but perhaps our OP can garnish us with a good yarn eventually

Last edited:
You would also have to explain how humans managed to go to the small edge of the universe in a manner of time before they all died of age. Maybe the various wormhole metrics were actually describing tangible things in the universe?

WannabeNewton said:
You would also have to explain how humans managed to go to the small edge of the universe in a manner of time before they all died of age. Maybe the various wormhole metrics were actually describing tangible things in the universe?

Even if wormholes were to be real enough that we could create a pair we would still have to drag one sublight to the desired destination. Perhaps if these humans found a way of cranking a space habitat up to .9999999...etC they could cross the distance in a matter of subjective years. Need a hell of a radiation shield though, not to mention propulsion issues

ryan_m_b said:
Even if wormholes were to be real enough that we could create a pair we would still have to drag one sublight to the desired destination. Perhaps if these humans found a way of cranking a space habitat up to .9999999...etC they could cross the distance in a matter of subjective years. Need a hell of a radiation shield though, not to mention propulsion issues

I like your idea ryan, and since this in the future we can just say that they created forms of transportation able to travel that distance in matter of minutes.
Time to get coding! sorry I haven't replied for a while, I was working on the basic engine.

Here's a ship for you: http://andromeda.wikia.com/wiki/Bellerophon

It's called the Bellerophon and is from sci-fi Andromeda.

It's basically a massive engine that humans created, travels near the speed of light and the crew experiences the effects of time dilation at those speeds (they travel for a few days near light speed and months/years pass in real time - or whatever the conversion is).

It's just something for you to consider. It's a way of getting around for them that doesn't violate any physics.

Thanks, but I think I have it.

1. How do you ensure the accuracy of the universe in the game?

The accuracy of the universe in the game is achieved through extensive research and collaboration with experts in astronomy and astrophysics. We also use advanced computer simulations and data from real spacecrafts to model the universe as accurately as possible.

2. What challenges did you face in creating a MMO set in the universe?

One of the biggest challenges we faced was balancing gameplay and realism. While we want the game to be scientifically accurate, we also want it to be enjoyable for players. We also had to consider the vastness of the universe and how to make it interesting for players to explore.

3. Can players interact with real astronomical objects in the game?

Yes, players can interact with real astronomical objects in the game. We have incorporated real data and models of planets, stars, and galaxies into the game. Players can visit these objects, gather data, and even participate in research missions.

4. How does the game handle time and distance in the vastness of space?

The game uses a time compression system to make traveling through space more manageable for players. However, the distances between objects are still accurately represented. Players can also use advanced propulsion systems to travel faster and reach distant locations in a shorter amount of time.

5. Are there any educational aspects to the game?

Yes, we have incorporated educational elements into the game. Players can learn about different astronomical objects and their characteristics, as well as participate in research missions that simulate real-world scientific endeavors. We also have a team of scientists who provide educational materials and resources for players to learn more about the universe.