Creating a stable 5V DC supply out of 6 V (RMS) AC

In summary, to power two ATmega 8A μCs from a 6 V AC transformer, you will need a 9 V transformer and a capacitor to smooth out the voltage.
Wrichik Basu said:
I will make a note of this, but unfortunately won't be able to buy it because the website from where I buy my components does not have this.
Why not just use a traditional 7805?
The circuit model shows it should work. All linear regulators will be equally efficient in that application.

Likes DaveE and AlexCaledin
Engineering news on Phys.org
AlexCaledin said:
- well, if you have a heat sink (especially at wintertime), you choose linear - whereas, having a fast diode + inductor, you choose a switching regulator)
There is no need for switching or low dropout regulators unless energy management is critical, such as when operating on batteries. The cost of the mains power will not be high. Sometimes it is better to keep the project simple.
The 5V regulator input voltage will average about 9 V, so the voltage dropped across the linear regulator will be 4 volts. At the maximum specified current of 1 amp, that will be 4 watt, so the heat sink will not need to be big. At the same time, the load will be dissipating a maximum of 5 watt.

Likes Wrichik Basu and AlexCaledin
Baluncore said:
Why not just use a traditional 7805?
I am using the 7805 for this project. I just said that I will "note" it down, and might explore it in my future projects.

This is the final circuit for this project, with the corrections that you suggested:

1609602310805.png

Likes AlexCaledin
- Here, I've disassembled a very old "linear" 5V supply unit for a microprocessor. The rectified voltage to feed the 5V linear regulator is 15V at no load. The secondary wire resistance of the transformer is few Ohms. So, a professional developer ought to think of possible voltage instability - because of the drop in the transformer at max. current and the primary AC instability and choose some higher regulator input voltage ( - which is why a modern "cool" switching regulator may be much better nowadays, requiring smaller transformer, too).

Last edited:
I would never persuade someone to use a switcher who has lacks experience as the OP in this thread does. Please @Wrichik Basu don't think I am belittling you in that comment. Nothing wrong with being inexperienced. After all, we were all inexperienced at one time (some of us still are in areas) and you are here asking questions and making headway.

Wrichik Basu said:
This is the final circuit for this project, with the corrections that you suggested:
Different regulators need different input and output capacitors to maintain stability. A ceramic capacitor across the input will hide the connection inductance and resistance of the electrolytic reservoir capacitor from the regulator. A ceramic capacitor across the output hides the output wire inductance, so stability is not dependent on changes in the load.

I therefore suggest that you place a 100nF ceramic capacitor close to the 7805 input, and another close to the output.

Likes Averagesupernova
Baluncore said:
I therefore suggest that you place a 100nF ceramic capacitor close to the 7805 input, and another close to the output.
Along with the electrolytic capacitor?

Likes davenn
Wrichik Basu said:
Along with the electrolytic capacitor?
Yes. One ceramic capacitor is electrically in parallel with the electrolytic, but it is placed physically close to the regulator.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Baluncore said:
Yes. One ceramic capacitor is electrically in parallel with the electrolytic, but it is placed physically close to the regulator.
This is the new final diagram, then:

Power_Supply.png

Wrichik Basu said:
This is the new final diagram, then:
If you want to max it out then a fuse on the mains side. Not really against overcurrent - more against transformer failure. So it depends on the type of the transformer, some does not require additional fuse.

Averagesupernova said:
I would never persuade someone to use a switcher who has lacks experience as the OP in this thread does. Please @Wrichik Basu don't think I am belittling you in that comment. Nothing wrong with being inexperienced. After all, we were all inexperienced at one time (some of us still are in areas) and you are here asking questions and making headway.
Yes, I agree. Especially when the SMPS benefits aren't really necessary. However, National's Simple Switchers are really easy to use. They are highly integrated ICs and they've done the design for you for common applications, including layout and BOM.

Likes Averagesupernova
Rive said:
If you want to max it out then a fuse on the mains side. Not really against overcurrent - more against transformer failure. So it depends on the type of the transformer, some does not require additional fuse.
Safety precautions on the mains side are already present. I bought a custom-built extension board from Amazon that has a fuse built-in. Originally it was 6 A; I replaced it with 1 A. This is hidden under "220 V 50 Hz AC" in the diagram.

DaveE said:
Yes, I agree. Especially when the SMPS benefits aren't really necessary. However, National's Simple Switchers are really easy to use. They are highly integrated ICs and they've done the design for you for common applications, including layout and BOM.
I have noticed that switchers are becoming easier to design due to the reasons you mentioned.

Likes DaveE
Wrichik Basu said:
I need to create a 5 V stable DC supply out of 6 V AC from a transformer. By "stable", I mean that I do not want the ripples in the voltage that one gets from the output of a full-wave bridge rectifier. I have to feed this to two ATmega 8A μCs.

I am going to create the following circuit:

View attachment 275252

6 V RMS means ≈ 8.5 V peak. The capacitor will hopefully smooth out the ripples. The LM 7805 voltage regulator will bring down the voltage to 5 V. I can attach a heat sink to it if it tends to get heated up too much.

I don't yet have all the materials; once I get them, I can use the Arduino analogRead() function to have a look at the waveform of the output of the circuit because I don't have an oscilloscope.

Does this circuit look okay? Any suggestion for improvement?

You need another 100uf capacitor on the output to reduce ripple, I would use 330uf or 500uf on the output. If you have no scope test it with a digital meter. If meter reads 5VDC and 0VAC your good. If meter shows .01VAC you still have a tiny amount of ripple. If meter reads any amount on AC it means you need a larger output cap. I use 7805 in some of my circuits I think it needs a voltage difference of 1.5v to work. I bought a hand held $25 scope from china it works great. You should be ok, 6VAC x 1.414 = 8.484 volts peak to peak. Put a heat sink on the 7805.

Any time you need 100uF on the output of a 7805 drawing minimal current, something is seriously wrong. You can't lose going by the data sheet on capacitor recommendations. I've never seen a 7805 data sheet specifying 100 uF on the output.

Averagesupernova said:
I've never seen a 7805 data sheet specifying 100 uF on the output.

maybe not, but it's standard practice when using regulators whose initial source is AC rather than a battery supply

Wrichik Basu said:
I need to create a 5 V stable DC supply out of 6 V AC from a transformer. By "stable", I mean that I do not want the ripples in the voltage that one gets from the output of a full-wave bridge rectifier. I have to feed this to two ATmega 8A μCs.

I am going to create the following circuit:

View attachment 275252

6 V RMS means ≈ 8.5 V peak. The capacitor will hopefully smooth out the ripples. The LM 7805 voltage regulator will bring down the voltage to 5 V. I can attach a heat sink to it if it tends to get heated up too much.

I don't yet have all the materials; once I get them, I can use the Arduino analogRead() function to have a look at the waveform of the output of the circuit because I don't have an oscilloscope.

Does this circuit look okay? Any suggestion for improvement?
"two ATmega 8A μCs." So a 16 Ampere supply? The 1N4007 are 1 Amp max and LM7805 versions are 1 Amp max. Transformer standard voltage 6.3 VAC typically max out at 10 Amps. Or pay for custom transformer. It will weigh a lot and cost $$$.
8 volts is typical computer power supply from 6.3 volt transformer, rem diode forward voltage drop which increases with current. Actually old time computer power supplies used a center tapped 12.6 volt transformer and 2 diodes (not a bridge as you show) so only one diode drop not two.
I'm puzzled by your "8A" requirement as Atmega products are usually low power.
8 Amps is more 5V power used than desktop computers with a billion times more computing capability than Atmega chips.

• Skeptical
Likes DaveE
shjacks45 said:
"two ATmega 8A μCs." So a 16 Ampere supply?
:oldconfused: Where did I say 16 A?
shjacks45 said:
I'm puzzled by your "8A" requirement as Atmega products are usually low power.
ATmega 8A is a uC. It is not the same as ATmega 8 ampere (which doesn't make sense anyway).

gary350 said:
You need another 100uf capacitor on the output to reduce ripple, I would use 330uf or 500uf on the output.
If you see this post, where I have posted the updated circuit diagram, you will find that the transformer has been changed to 9V, and the electrolytic capacitor has been increased to 4700uF.

Wrichik Basu said:
:oldconfused: Where did I say 16 A?

ATmega 8A is a uC. It is not the same as ATmega 8 ampere (which doesn't make sense anyway).
ATmega8A is micro, "ATmega 8A" is just more bad spelling.

Wrichik Basu said:
If you see this post, where I have posted the updated circuit diagram, you will find that the transformer has been changed to 9V, and the electrolytic capacitor has been increased to 4700uF.
I think he meant after the regulator, but I wouldn't bother. It wouldn't hurt, but shouldn't be unnecessary.

I would do this if I had a load that intermittently drew more current than the regulator could source, but for a duration that exceeds the ability of the other downstream caps (bypass caps, mostly) to supply. I don't think 2 uPs are that sort of load. If they were, then the caps need to be fast (low esr, ceramic, etc.) and very close to the uPs. When digital circuits want lots of current the di/dt can be huge (but usually isn't); they want that current faster than an electrolytic located back at the power supply can deliver. If your uPs came on a PCB designed by someone else then they have already solved that for you with local storage.

Likes Wrichik Basu and Baluncore
DaveE said:
...they want that current faster than an electrolytic located back at the power supply can deliver.
This was my whole point. I'm not saying a single 1uF across the complete 5 volt supply rail is adequate. Capacitors that exist to dump current on sudden demand need to be placed as close as possible to the device that demands it. This means often times several in parallel as @Baluncore described.

Last edited:
Likes Wrichik Basu
After a really long wait, I could finally gather all the required components (including the oscilloscope proposed earlier). But trying to put the Schottky diodes into a breadboard drained away my enthusiasm. Man, I just couldn't push them in — the leads were so thick! Even the large capacitor was creating trouble: the positive lead was so long, that when I pushed it in, the shorter negative lead couldn't be pushed in. Finally, made a compromise:

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-16 at 2.25.31 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-16 at 2.25.31 AM (1).jpeg

That diode got bent when I was trying to put it into the breadboard. Probably one of the ugliest circuits I have ever built.

Will test it tomorrow morning, after rechecking the diode bridge connections.

Wrichik Basu said:
After a really long wait, I could finally gather all the required components (including the oscilloscope proposed earlier). But trying to put the Schottky diodes into a breadboard drained away my enthusiasm. Man, I just couldn't push them in — the leads were so thick! Even the large capacitor was creating trouble: the positive lead was so long, that when I pushed it in, the shorter negative lead couldn't be pushed in. Finally, made a compromise:

That diode got bent when I was trying to put it into the breadboard. Probably one of the ugliest circuits I have ever built.

Will test it tomorrow morning, after rechecking the diode bridge connections.
Be careful about forcing fat leads into the breadboard, you can stretch the springs and cause connection problems later with really thin leads.

Honestly, I hate those things and will only use them for something I know for sure I won't be using tomorrow. OTOH, most everyone else doesn't agree with me!

95% of my breadboards look more like this:
Picture1.jpg

DaveE said:
95% of my breadboards look more like this:
With experience, you can directly solder components. But I don't have that, and have to depend on breadboards.

First of all, I would like to thank @Borek who, in post #2, mentioned the DSO138 oscilloscope. The device has really been very helpful.

Next, I have performed the experiment, based on the circuit I had posted here. These are the results from the oscilloscope:

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-17 at 2.22.03 PM.jpeg

Output of full wave rectifier bridge
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-17 at 2.22.03 PM (1).jpeg

After passing the output through the voltage regulator
with necessary filter capacitors

I can see that the average voltage is 4.43 V, the maximum being 4.83 V. 5 V is not reached. Is this an accuracy error of the oscilloscope?

Does the first picture look like full wave rectification? Check your diode orientation.

pbuk said:
Does the first picture look like full wave rectification?
Yeah, I have seen that. Trying to figure out the issue.

Update: Fixed it.
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-17 at 4.44.28 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-17 at 4.44.28 PM (1).jpeg

Likes pbuk