DC link and rectifier model, Active current as function of voltage?

In summary, The conversation discusses the creation of a model for a rectifier that is supplying a DC link with current. The model is primarily focused on the RMS values and active power drawn from the AC supply. The model uses a capacitor and a design constant multiplied by a function of the DC voltage squared. The speaker is unsure if this model accurately reflects reality and is seeking feedback. They also mention a relationship between active power/current and voltage drop on the DC link. The model is meant to approximate a basic 3-phase passive rectifier and the unloaded and fully loaded cases show different DC voltages.
Liferider
Hi, I'm trying to form an expression for a rectifier supplying a DC link with current, without actually rectifying a 3-phase input. Usage of the model is really only concerned with the RMS values and the active power drawn from the AC supply.

The DC link is just a capacitor so that:
dVDC/dt = (iDC - iL)/C

Based on what I've experienced with actual DC links, I chose the drawn rectifier current, iDC, to be a design constant multiplied with a function of DC voltage squared:
iDC = k*(Vpeak - VDC)2

Now, I wonder if this model can be used, i.e is there a design constant that will fit an actual rectifier?

Obviously, there is a certain relationship between Active Power/Active Current and the voltage drop on the DC link, I am just not sure if the square model here fits reality? Any comments to this is highly appreciated.

Regards, Arne Ranvik

Engineering news on Phys.org
The model should approximate a basic 3-phase passive rectifier, half-wave I think, so that a fully loaded (rated power draw) rectifier so that the measured DC-voltage will show something like VDC = 1.35*VRMS, compared to the unloaded case where VDC = √2*VRMS

1. What is a DC link in a circuit?

A DC link is a component in a circuit that connects different power sources or loads together and allows for the transfer of direct current (DC) between them.

2. What is a rectifier model?

A rectifier model is a mathematical representation of a circuit that converts alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC) by using diodes to block the negative portion of the AC waveform.

3. How does the DC link affect the performance of a circuit?

The DC link plays a crucial role in the performance of a circuit as it allows for the efficient transfer of power between different components. A well-designed DC link can help minimize losses and improve the overall efficiency of the circuit.

4. What is the relationship between active current and voltage in a DC link and rectifier model?

In a DC link and rectifier model, the active current (also known as the output current) is directly proportional to the voltage. This means that as the voltage increases, so does the active current, and vice versa.

5. How can the active current be controlled in a DC link and rectifier model?

The active current in a DC link and rectifier model can be controlled by adjusting the voltage level or by using external control mechanisms such as pulse width modulation (PWM) techniques. These methods can help regulate the active current and maintain a stable output voltage.