Creating convergent sequences in Banach spaces

In summary, the problem at hand is to create a sequence w_n in A that converges to 0 and Tw_n converges to y in B, given two Banach spaces A and B, a linear map T, and three sequences (x^n_i) in A, (Tx^n_i) in B, and (y_n) in B. The key is to use the fact that there is always a "nice" subsequence that converges in a controlled way, and to make use of the "WLOG" method to simplify notation.
ScroogeMcDuck
Sorry for the rather vague title!

Homework Statement

Given:
  • Two Banach spaces [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex], and a linear map [itex]T: A\rightarrow B[/itex]
  • The sequences [itex](x^n_i)[/itex] in A. For each fixed n, [itex](x^n_i) \rightarrow 0[/itex] for [itex]i \rightarrow \infty[/itex].
  • The sequences [itex](Tx^n_i)[/itex] in B. For each fixed n, [itex](Tx^n_i) \rightarrow y_n[/itex] for [itex]i \rightarrow \infty[/itex].
  • The sequence [itex](y_n)[/itex] in B, with [itex]y_n \rightarrow y[/itex] for [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex].

Problem:
I need to create a sequence [itex]w_n[/itex] in A, for which [itex]w_n \rightarrow 0[/itex] and [itex]Tw_n \rightarrow y[/itex] in B.

Homework Equations

So for the sequence [itex]y_n[/itex] of limits of [itex]Tx_i^n[/itex] we know:
[itex]\forall \epsilon>0 \, \exists m \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] such that [itex]\forall n ≥ m: ||y_n - y||<\epsilon[/itex]
And for a fixed n, we know:
[itex]\forall \epsilon>0 \, \exists m_1=m_1(n) \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] such that [itex]\forall n ≥ m_1: ||x_i^n||<\epsilon[/itex]
[itex]\forall \epsilon>0 \, \exists m_2=m_2(n) \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] such that [itex]\forall n ≥ m_2: ||Tx_i^n - y_n||<\epsilon[/itex].

Furthermore T is not necessarily continuous (it would be trivial if it were).

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the sequence [itex]w_n = x_n^n[/itex]. Proving that [itex]Tw_n \rightarrow y[/itex] then required me to prove that [itex]\forall \epsilon>0 \, \exists n' \in \mathbb{N} : \forall n≥n': ||Tx_n^n - y_n||< \epsilon/2[/itex] (so that I could use the triangle inequality afterwards), but I couldn't manage this since y_n is not fixed.

I also tried using [itex]w_n = x^n_{m_3(n)}[/itex] where [itex]m_3(n) = max\{m_1(n),m_2(n)\}[/itex]. The required convergence did work out, but then I realized that m_1(n) and m_2(n) depend on [itex]\epsilon[/itex] as well as n, so my sequence depends on [itex]\epsilon[/itex] which is of course not as it should.

Any suggestions, hints, ideas would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
So your problem is that you essentially have three sequences, and you need to get some kind of uniform control of them. Passing to subsequences is obviously (?) the way to go, but you're running into trouble with your subsequences being dependent on an arbitrary [itex]\epsilon[/itex].

I suggest using the following fact about metric spaces to get a little better control over your subsequences:

If [itex]u_n\rightarrow u[/itex], then there is [itex]n_1<n_2<...<n_j<...[/itex] such that [itex]d(u_{n_j},u)<j^{-1}[/itex] for all [itex]j=1,2,...[/itex].

I.e. there is always a "nice" subsequence that converges in a controlled way. I think you can use that fact to remove your [itex]\epsilon[/itex] troubles. I'd also suggest making use of the trusty "WLOG" in order to make your notation manageable; since we know we can find a "nice" subsequence, we may as well assume WLOG that the original sequence was already "nice".

1. What is a convergent sequence in Banach spaces?

A convergent sequence in Banach spaces is a sequence of points that gets closer and closer to a specific point in the space, known as the limit. This means that as the sequence progresses, the distance between each point and the limit becomes smaller and smaller, eventually approaching zero.

2. How do you create a convergent sequence in Banach spaces?

To create a convergent sequence in Banach spaces, you first need to choose a starting point (often denoted as x0) and a limit (often denoted as x). Then, you can use a formula or algorithm to generate a series of points (x0, x1, x2,...) that get closer and closer to x as the sequence progresses.

3. What is the importance of creating convergent sequences in Banach spaces?

Convergent sequences in Banach spaces are important in many areas of mathematics and science, as they allow us to approximate a desired point or solution. They are also essential for proving the existence of solutions to certain equations and problems.

4. Are there any specific techniques for creating convergent sequences in Banach spaces?

Yes, there are various techniques that can be used to create convergent sequences in Banach spaces, such as the bisection method, Newton's method, and the fixed point iteration method. The choice of method depends on the specific problem and the properties of the Banach space being considered.

5. Can convergent sequences in Banach spaces be used in real-world applications?

Yes, convergent sequences in Banach spaces have numerous real-world applications, particularly in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. For example, they can be used to approximate solutions to differential equations, optimize algorithms, and analyze the convergence of numerical methods.