Creating Custom Desktop Wallpapers: Tips and Tools for Beginners

• Thread starter _Mayday_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Desktop
In summary, the conversation is about a person wanting to make a desktop wallpaper for their computer and looking for advice on how to create cool backgrounds and graphics. They are recommended to use photo editing software such as Photoshop, Corel, or GIMP which support layers and alpha transparency. The process involves selecting a background photo and blending it with a smaller image using selection tools.
_Mayday_
Hey!

I want toi try and make a desktop wallpaper for my computer for something to pass the time :smile: I've been looking around at wallpapers and a lot of them have like cool graphics and backgrounds, and I don't know how to make these?

This is what I mean: http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/photosplus/content/current/image/wallpapers.html

How do they make the cool background in the first picture? Could anyone advise any other thing I might need to get started? I want to keep it simple and have a background and them insert an photo or two of mine onto it.

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
I pick a photo of my liking then resize it to macth my screen resolution. You can add graphics from most any resonable photo editing software.

Those textured backgrounds are made by using software that supports layers. Photoshop is the most infamous of these, but software by Corel also supports layers, and so does the very popular freeware GIMP. Simply select a photo you'd like to use as a background, and put your top photo on the top layer, then use alpha transparency and selection tools to blend the two layers however you like. You can then put the smaller image of the guy on a third layer.

slider142 said:
freeware GIMP.

Sorry to be pedantic but GIMP is not freeware, it is GPL licenced.

1. How do I choose a suitable image for a desktop wallpaper?

When selecting an image for a desktop wallpaper, it is important to consider the resolution and aspect ratio of your computer screen. You want an image that will fill the screen without being stretched or distorted. It is also helpful to choose an image that you find visually appealing and that reflects your personal style or interests.

2. What software do I need to create desktop wallpapers?

There are many software options available for creating desktop wallpapers, including free programs like GIMP and Paint.NET, as well as more advanced programs like Adobe Photoshop. Ultimately, the best software for you will depend on your level of experience and the specific features you are looking for.

3. Can I use copyrighted images for my desktop wallpaper?

It is generally not recommended to use copyrighted images for your desktop wallpaper without the permission of the copyright holder. This includes images found online or in books or magazines. Instead, consider using royalty-free or public domain images, or create your own original artwork.

4. How do I resize an image to fit my screen for a desktop wallpaper?

To resize an image for a desktop wallpaper, you can use a photo editing software to adjust the image's dimensions to match your screen resolution. Many programs also have a "fit to screen" option that will automatically resize the image for you. You can also crop the image to fit your screen.

5. Can I use multiple images for a desktop wallpaper?

Yes, you can use multiple images for a desktop wallpaper by creating a collage or using a slideshow feature. Some software programs also allow you to set different images for different screens or desktops. Just make sure to properly resize and position the images for the best visual effect.