Creating Your Own Homemade Electroscope: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of making a homemade electroscope and how to measure it. The speaker suggests using a video camera or a graduated scale to measure the separation of the leaves and then calibrating the results to convert them into volts or kilovolts. They also mention running calibration tests to create a calibration curve for accurate measurements. The speaker also mentions their lack of knowledge in this area.
TheQuietOne
I want to make a electroscope but tried googling it and none made my criteria. What I want is a homemade electroscope that will give me a measurement, please tell what I would need and possibly a how to. Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean a digital measurement? You could use a video camera to measure the separation of the leaves and use that as a measurement.

Do you mean a visual measurement? You could put a graduated scale (i.e. a ruler) behind the leafs) then view them from the side and see which gradations are hidden by the leaves.

OK but how do I convert that measurement into volts/ kilovolts?

Just like any analog instrument, you must run calibration tests. First apply a series of known voltages, and observe the displacement. Use that to plot a calibration curve that relates displacement to voltage.

Thank you, as you might have figured, I'm not very knowledgeableabout tthis stuff.
Sorry about the mumbo jumbo my phone is acting weird

What is a homemade electroscope?

A homemade electroscope is a simple scientific instrument used to detect the presence of electric charge. It consists of a metal rod or wire, a metal leaf or foil, and a non-conductive base.

How does a homemade electroscope work?

A homemade electroscope works by using the principle of electrostatic induction. When an electrically charged object is brought close to the metal rod or wire, it induces a charge in the metal leaf or foil, causing it to repel from the rod. This movement of the leaf indicates the presence of electric charge.

What materials do I need to make a homemade electroscope?

To make a homemade electroscope, you will need a metal rod or wire, a metal leaf or foil, a non-conductive base (such as a plastic cup or bottle), and some tape or adhesive. You can also add a small metal ball or knob to the top of the rod for easier charging.

How do I use a homemade electroscope?

To use a homemade electroscope, you will first need to charge it by rubbing a cloth or plastic rod against a wool or fur. Then, bring the charged object close to the metal rod or wire, without touching it, and observe the movement of the metal leaf or foil. The greater the movement, the stronger the electric charge.

What are the limitations of a homemade electroscope?

Homemade electroscopes are not as sensitive or accurate as professional scientific instruments. They can also be affected by external factors, such as humidity and nearby electrical fields. Additionally, they can only detect the presence of electric charge, not its magnitude or type.