CS Major or Math Major for Prereq to MS in CS?

In summary, the individual is currently majoring in Mathematics but considering changing their major to Computer Science due to burnout. They enjoy Linear Algebra, Discrete Math, and Statistics and are interested in pursuing a Master's Degree in Applied Statistics, Biostatistics, or Data Science. They are also interested in exploring career paths that involve these subjects. They have taken several Math courses, as well as Programming 1 & 2 through the CS department. The individual has found a local state school where they can earn a Math degree without taking analysis courses, and will also be minoring in Computer Science and interning through both departments. They plan on switching to a Data Science major once it becomes available.
Rosebud
I really should have titled this thread, "Burnt Out on Math, Need Advice on New Direction" but I don't know how to edit it.

Hello, I am currently majoring in Mathematics and am considering changing my major to Computer Science because, quite frankly, I am getting burnt out on Math and don't find it enjoyable anymore. Besides that, I can get some good internship opportunities through the CS dept and know that I can get an entry level job right out of school if I do so. However, I really enjoy Linear Algebra, Discrete Math, and Statistics and would like to use them somehow in my professional life.

I would like to work for a year or two and then return to school for a Master's Degree in Applied Statistics, Biostatistcs, or Data Science. Are these good choices to pursue for my interests?

What higher learning or career paths are available that use, among other things, Linear Algebra, Discrete Math, and Statistics?

FWIW, I have never taken a Physics class in my life. Is a knowledge of physics required for learning and using Signal Processing or would a class on Applied Fourier Analysis be sufficient?

The Math Classes that I have taken so far are:
Calc 1, 2, and 3
Differential Equations and Linear Algebra (one class combined together)
Discrete Mathematics
Applied Statistics (calculus based)
Applied Regression Analysis
Number Theory

I have also taken "Programming 1 & 2" through the CS dept so I've earned a Math Minor at my school.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To the OP:

First of all, there is a fair amount of application of linear algebra within computer science from the obvious (numerical linear algebra) to the less obvious (databases, computer networks, etc.) and so conceivably, working on software development (such as any sort of simulation work) you should be able to make decent use of it.

Discrete math serves as the foundation for theoretical CS, so any study or work involving algorithms will involve it at some stage or another.

If you are interested in pursuing an interest in statistics, certainly majoring in CS (with a possible minor or double major in Statistics), along with a masters in Applied Statistics, Biostatistics, or Data Science are definitely good choices to pursue your interests, and should offer you the skillset required to work in statistics or data science, which as far as I'm aware of are in solid demand. Having a background in statistics can also be useful in case you plan on pursuing graduate studies in CS specializing in, say, machine learning.

As for your final question on Signal Processing -- this is an area I'm not overly familiar with, but my thinking is that a background in applied Fourier analysis should be sufficient.

Hope this reply was useful. Best of luck on your studies!

Likes Rosebud
Thank you! Your response has helped me quite a bit. I have found a local state school that I will be transferring into that will let me earn a B.S. in Mathematics without taking any analysis ('proof') courses. There I will be taking probability, symbolic logic, theory of computing, and two more statistics courses. With the completion of those courses, in addition to the Math courses that I have already taken, I will have earned a Math degree. I will also be minoring in Computer Science and interning through both the Math and CS departments.

The school is starting a B.S. in Data Science that is combination of both Math and CS courses but they won't be offering it until Spring 2016. At that time, I will most likely just change my major to Data Science.

Last edited:

1. What are the main differences between a CS major and a math major as prerequisites for an MS in CS?

The main difference between a CS major and a math major is the focus of the coursework. A CS major typically covers topics such as programming languages, algorithms, data structures, and computer systems. A math major, on the other hand, focuses on mathematical concepts and theories, such as calculus, linear algebra, and discrete mathematics. Both majors provide a strong foundation for graduate studies in CS, but the coursework may vary depending on the university and program.

2. Which major is better suited for pursuing an MS in CS?

Both CS and math majors can be suitable for pursuing an MS in CS. It ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. If you are interested in developing software and working with computer systems, a CS major may be a better fit. If you enjoy solving complex problems and have a strong mathematical background, a math major may be a better option. It's important to research the specific requirements of the MS in CS program you are interested in to determine which major is the best fit.

3. Can I pursue an MS in CS with a math major?

Yes, it is possible to pursue an MS in CS with a math major. Many graduate programs in CS accept applicants from various academic backgrounds, including math. However, you may need to take some prerequisite courses or demonstrate proficiency in programming languages and computer systems before being accepted into the program.

4. Are there any advantages to having a CS major over a math major for an MS in CS?

Having a CS major may provide some advantages when pursuing an MS in CS. A CS major typically covers topics that are directly applicable to computer science, giving you a strong foundation in programming, software development, and computer systems. This may make it easier to transition into graduate-level coursework. Additionally, many CS programs offer internship opportunities or hands-on projects, which can provide valuable experience in the field.

5. Can I double major in CS and math to prepare for an MS in CS?

Yes, it is possible to double major in CS and math to prepare for an MS in CS. However, keep in mind that this may require a heavy course load and may take longer to complete. It's important to carefully plan out your coursework and make sure you have enough time to dedicate to both majors. Additionally, some universities may not allow students to double major in two related fields, so it's important to check with your academic advisor or the university's policies.