Cube sliding down with frictionless slide

In summary, the problem involves a cube with mass m being released from the top of a slide with height h and horizontal distance d. The question is asking for the minimal information needed to calculate the speed of the cube at the end of the slide, assuming no friction. The proposed solution using conservation of mechanical energy only requires knowledge of g and h, but the correct solution also takes into account the acceleration down the slope, which is less than g. Therefore, the correct solution requires knowledge of d, h, and g.
Nikou

Homework Statement

A cube with m mass is released from the top of a slide, of h height, with a horizontal distance of d. [/B]

Homework Equations

Assuming there is no friction between the cube and the slide, ¿what is the minimal information i need to calculate the speed of the cube at the end of the slide? [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve it using the conservation of mechanical energy, so:[/B]

Initial mechanical energy = mgh
Final mechanical energy = (mv2
Therefore

mgh=(mv2
gh=(v2
2gh=v2
√2gh=v

So i only need to know g and h to solve this but the solution is not that, according to the website where i got this problem. The solution of the problem would be this:

We have this:

v2f=v2i + 2gΔx
(v2i = 0 because at the beginning is static)

Where Δx is the displacement of the cube, therefore

vf=√(2gΔx)

To find the value of Δx we use phytagoras theorem:

Δx=√(d2+h2)

So to calculate vf we need to know d ,h, g

Why this solution is correct ,since mine requires less information?

(Sorry for my English, is not my first language)

Physics news on Phys.org
Nikou said:
v2f=v2i + 2gΔx
The above appears to be taking the acceleration down the slope as g, but it will be less than that.
Your answer is correct, the website's wrong.

Ok thank you! :D

1. What is a frictionless slide?

A frictionless slide is a surface that has no resistance or friction, allowing objects to slide down it without slowing down or stopping.

2. How does friction affect a cube sliding down a frictionless slide?

Since a frictionless slide has no resistance, friction does not affect a cube sliding down it. The cube will continue to slide at a constant velocity until it reaches the bottom of the slide.

3. What factors determine the speed of the cube sliding down a frictionless slide?

The speed of the cube sliding down a frictionless slide is determined by the angle of the slide, the height of the slide, and the initial velocity of the cube.

4. Can a cube slide up a frictionless slide?

No, a cube cannot slide up a frictionless slide because it would require an external force to overcome the force of gravity pulling it down.

5. How does the mass of the cube affect its acceleration down a frictionless slide?

The mass of the cube does not affect its acceleration down a frictionless slide. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, an object's mass does not affect its acceleration due to gravity, so the cube will slide down the slide at the same rate regardless of its mass.