Curie point for ferromagnetic materials

In summary, the conversation is about the search for a graph or image showing the ferromagnetic properties of metals as they warm up to the Curie temperature, and the explanation of the Curie point as a sharp phase transition. The possibility of using ferromagnetic materials near their Curie temperature to create a "Curie engine" is also discussed, with Gadolinium being mentioned as an example with a low Curie temperature of 20 degrees Celsius.
Low-Q
Gold Member
Hi,

I have searched the web for a graph that shows the ferromagnetic properties of a metal like iron or nickel as they warms up to the Curie temperature - when the metals becomes non-ferromagnetic. I cannot find any good images or graphs that shows this very clear. I have been told that the Curie point is very sharp, meaning that at temperatures slightly under or over the Curie temperature makes the metal ferromegnetic or not. Can someone please help to explain this to me?

Br.

Vidar

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a sketch of the magnetization versus temperature for a ferromagnetic material here:
http://www.irm.umn.edu/hg2m/hg2m_b/hg2m_b.html
Scroll down a little, to get to ferromagnetism.
An experimental image cuve for nickel is contained in this graph:
http://media.web.britannica.com/eb-media/68/268-004-A2511D3C.gif

The Curie point is "sharp" in the sense that is the point of a phase transition. It is somewhat similar to the melting point. Above it the material is liquid, below it it's solid.

Here it is the ferro- to para- magnetic phase transition. However this is a so called "second order" phase transition whereas the melting is "first order". It means (between other things) that the order parameter (magnetization) does not have a jump over the transition point. It goes to zero when temperature is increased towards Tc and remains zero on the high temperature side of the transition.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

Is it possible to make a relatively high efficient motor of ferromagnetic materials if the material is close to its Curier temperature so just small changes in temperature (which require "small" energy input) will make a "Curier engine" to work?
Say the engine is inside an insolated box where the temperature is possible to be kept high.

I am not talking about over unity, but another way to make an engine.

br.

Vidar

Low-Q said:
Thanks for the reply.

Is it possible to make a relatively high efficient motor of ferromagnetic materials if the material is close to its Curier temperature so just small changes in temperature (which require "small" energy input) will make a "Curier engine" to work?
Say the engine is inside an insolated box where the temperature is possible to be kept high.

br.

Vidar

The "high" temperature is not really a problem. There are ferromagnetic materials with low Curie temperature. Not very common I guess as the interest is in having it high enough to avoid demagnetization. Gadolinium is an example (TC less than 300 K).
Regarding the motor, I don't know, there are many things to consider.

Low-Q said:
Thanks for the reply.

br.

Vidar

Get some Gadolinium metal at Ebay, it is relatively cheap (for it being a rare earth) and has its Curie point at about 20 deg. Celsius. Nice toy!

What is the Curie point for ferromagnetic materials?

The Curie point, also known as the Curie temperature, is the temperature at which a ferromagnetic material loses its magnetic properties and becomes paramagnetic. It is named after French physicist Marie Curie, who discovered this phenomenon.

How is the Curie point determined?

The Curie point is determined by measuring the magnetic susceptibility of a material as it is heated. As the temperature increases, the magnetic susceptibility decreases until it reaches the Curie point, where it drops to zero.

What factors affect the Curie point?

The Curie point of a ferromagnetic material is affected by its chemical composition, crystal structure, and external magnetic field. Materials with higher levels of magnetic elements and a more ordered crystal structure will have a higher Curie point.

Why is the Curie point important in materials science?

The Curie point is important because it marks the transition between ferromagnetic and paramagnetic behavior in a material. This knowledge is vital for designing and utilizing materials in various applications, such as in magnetic storage devices and sensors.

Can the Curie point be changed?

The Curie point of a material is an intrinsic property and cannot be changed. However, it can be influenced by external factors, such as alloying, doping, and applying an external magnetic field. These methods can slightly alter the Curie point, but not significantly change it.