Curl of field in cylindrical coordinates

In summary, the conversation is discussing the computation of the Curl of a vector field in cylindrical coordinates. The formula for the determinant is given, but there is confusion about the 1/rho term outside the determinant and how it expands. The speaker explains that they used r and ψ instead of rho and phi, and that in most cases, there is a 1/r term in front of the determinant for cylindrical coordinates. The speaker references the 5th edition of "elements of electromagnetics" for their explanation.
FOIWATER
Gold Member
I am asked to compute the Curl of a vector field in cylindrical coordinates,

I apologize for not being able to type the formula here I do not have that program.

I do not see how the the 1/rho outside the determinant calculation is being carried in?

Not for the specific problem - but for curl in other coordinates in general.

1/rho det(arho rho*bphi cz
d/drho d/dphi d/dz
Arho rho*Atheta Az)

I'm staring at it a long time, - I don't see how it expands as it does..

Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you come by a 1/r outside the determinant?

The determinant for computing curl A is

1r/r 1ψ k/r
∂/∂r ∂/∂ψ ∂/∂z
Ar rAψ Az

I used r instead of rho and ψ instead of phi since phi is not available on the PF symbol table.

There is no 1/r term in front of the determinant.

There is for cylindrical coordinates

At least in most things I have come across

I am referencing the 5th edition of "elements of electromagnetics"

FOIWATER said:
There is for cylindrical coordinates

At least in most things I have come across

I am referencing the 5th edition of "elements of electromagnetics"

What I gave you and what you said are the same thing. Your version brings 1/r outside the determinant, then multiplies all my terms by r. It's a dumb way of giving the determinant in my opinion, but it's correct also.

What did you say was your problem with it again? I couldn''t figure out what your confusion is.

Only the row by which cofactors are expanded, though?

nvm I understand it now, thanks

Related to Curl of field in cylindrical coordinates

1. What is the curl of a field in cylindrical coordinates?

The curl of a field in cylindrical coordinates is a mathematical operation that describes the rotational behavior of a vector field. It is a vector quantity that represents the amount of rotation at a given point in the field.

2. How is the curl of a field calculated in cylindrical coordinates?

The curl of a field in cylindrical coordinates is calculated using a specific formula that involves partial derivatives and unit vectors. The formula takes into account the radial, azimuthal, and axial components of the field in order to determine the overall curl at a given point.

3. What is the significance of the curl of a field in cylindrical coordinates?

The curl of a field in cylindrical coordinates is important in many areas of physics and engineering. It helps to understand the behavior of fluids, electromagnetism, and other physical phenomena. It is also useful in solving differential equations and predicting the behavior of systems.

4. How does the curl of a field relate to other vector operations?

The curl of a field is closely related to other vector operations such as divergence and gradient. In fact, the curl of a field can be expressed as the cross product of the gradient and the field itself. It also plays a role in the vector form of Maxwell's equations in electromagnetism.

5. Can the curl of a field be negative?

Yes, the curl of a field can be negative. The value of the curl at a given point represents the direction and magnitude of rotation at that point. If the rotation is counterclockwise, the curl will have a positive value, while a clockwise rotation will result in a negative curl. However, the overall sign of the curl also depends on the orientation of the coordinate system being used.