Current flowing in a cylinder and induced EMF

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the equivalent resistance and current equation for a thin cylinder with a continuous current distribution. The magnetic field inside the cylinder is found to be μ0i/l, and the correct current equation is determined to be iR = E. The conversation also includes a discussion on the magnetic field inside a solenoid and the interpretation of ni in the equation μ0ni. Finally, the correct option for the equivalent resistance is determined to be ρ2πr/ld.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

cylinder.png

options.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The current will decrease , as a result an EMF will be induced in the cylinder .

The EMF induced E = -dΦ/dt

I am assuming magnetic field through the cylinder to be same as that at the center of the a current carrying coil which is given by μ0i/2r .

E = -μ0πrdi/(2dt)

I tried to calculate equivalent resistance .

I think we can consider thin cylinder material as a thin sheet of breadth 'l' , length '2πr' and thickness 'd' .

It can be divided into thin wires of length '2πr' , width dx and thickness 'd'

Current is flowing across the breadth .

Consider a very thin section of wire of width dx at a distance x across the breadth from one end .

All these thin wires are in parallel .

Their equivalent resistance turns out to be ρ2πr/ld .

So , the resistance across which the current is flowing is R = ρ2πr/ld .

The current equation would be iR + E = 0 .

iR - μ0πrdi/(2dt) = 0

ρ2πri/ld - μ0πrdi/(2dt) = 0

Is the equation correct ?

Attachments

• cylinder.png
    cylinder.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,054
  • options.png
    options.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 881
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why is the current equation iR + E = 0? Should it not be iR = E?

Likes Lord and Jahnavi
Jahnavi said:
I am assuming magnetic field through the cylinder to be same as that at the center of the a current carrying coil which is given by μ0i/2r .
No. Think solenoid.

So , the resistance across which the current is flowing is R = ρ2πr/ld .
That looks good to me.

The current equation would be iR + E = 0 .

iR - μ0πrdi/(2dt) = 0

As @Chandra Prayaga pointed out, there seems to be a sign problem here. Note that your equation would imply that di/dt is positive; i.e., the current would increase instead of decrease.

Likes Lord and Jahnavi
Thank you TSny .

TSny said:
No. Think solenoid.

You are right :smile:

Magnetic field inside a solenoid is μ0ni .

How would I find 'n' of the equivalent solenoid ? 'n' is the number of terms per unit length .

Solenoid consists of wires. This cylinder has a continuous current distribution thus evaluate using Ampere's circuital law.

B.2πr = μ0
That gives B =μ0i/2πr

Note that in ##\mu_0ni##, ##\, i## is the current in one turn. Try to interpret the meaning of ##ni##.

Likes Jahnavi
TSny said:
Note that in ##\mu_0ni##, ##\, i## is the current in one turn. Try to interpret the meaning of ##ni##.

Wow !

I didn't think in this way .

Magnetic field inside cylinder would be μ0i/l .

This gives us option 2) .

Is that correct ?

Jahnavi said:
Magnetic field inside cylinder would be μ0i/l .

This gives us option 2) .
Yes. Good work.

Likes Jahnavi
Thank you so much :smile:

1. What is current flowing in a cylinder?

Current flowing in a cylinder refers to the movement of electric charge through a cylindrical conductor. This can be caused by an external electric field or by the flow of charged particles within the cylinder itself.

2. How is current induced in a cylinder?

Current can be induced in a cylinder through the process of electromagnetic induction. This occurs when the magnetic field of a changing current passing through a nearby conductor induces a current in the cylinder.

3. How is EMF induced in a cylinder?

EMF (electromotive force) is induced in a cylinder through the same process of electromagnetic induction. The changing magnetic field generated by a current passing through a nearby conductor creates an electric field that induces an EMF in the cylinder.

4. What factors affect the induced EMF in a cylinder?

The induced EMF in a cylinder depends on a few factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the magnetic field changes, and the number of turns in the cylinder. It also depends on the material of the cylinder and its resistance to the induced current.

5. Can the direction of induced current be reversed in a cylinder?

Yes, the direction of induced current in a cylinder can be reversed by changing the direction of the magnetic field or by reversing the direction of the current passing through the nearby conductor. This is known as Lenz's law, which states that the direction of an induced current will oppose the change that caused it.