Current through a lightbulb after flowing through transistor

In summary, the current through a lightbulb is dependent on the resistor value and the transistor's beta value.
4Phreal

Homework Statement

Consider a 2N3904 NPN transistor in a circuit. Treat the lightbulb as a 100 ohm resistor. For different values of R, what is the current through the lightbulb? Enter two digits rounded to the nearest 0.1 amps.

If R=500 ohms, the current through the lightbulb is:

If R=5 kohms, the current through the lightbulb is:

If R=50 kohms, the current through the lightbulb is:

http://i.imgur.com/mbk0cKK.jpg

Homework Equations

Ic = βIb

The Attempt at a Solution

For the 500 ohm resistor:
Ib = (10V - 0.6V) / 500 ohms=0.0188A
Ic=β*0.0188A=100*0.0188A=1.9A

0.6V is the common value used for silicon transistors
It appears beta for the 2N3904 NPN is 100. In other words, Ic/Ib = 100
For the 5k and 50k ohm resistors, in order for the circuit to have any current, the potential difference between base and emitter has to be large enough to activate the transistor. For the 2N3904 NPN, there must be a 0.2 mA current for it to be amplified.

4. Other relevant information
The answer to this question using a 2k ohm resistor is 0.1 A. No idea how they got that answer

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You must find some characteristics for the transistor ( Icollector vs. Ibase characteristics ).

It's very hard to find ( I've tried ) because the transistor is typical used as a switching transistor, where of the mentioned characteristics are not of interest.

What kind of characteristics?

For the 2N3904 NPN transistor, when the base is more positive than the emitter by 0.6 volts (for the silicon devices) current will flow from the base to the emitter. When this base current IB is sufficiently large, the transistor is “turned on”. A current of 1 mA or larger will turn on the 2N3904 NPN transistor. As mentioned in my original post, the beta value of amplification here between IB and IC is 100. What other characteristics am I needing?

Hesch said:
You must find some characteristics for the transistor ( Icollector vs. Ibase characteristics ).

Something like this:

tran11.gif

Plot two points ( A and B ) and draw a load line. Calculate Ib and you can read the Q-point, determining Ic.

( The figure is not for a 2N3904 ).

Something like this?
HPjoupu.gif

I kind of doubt that I have not been given sufficient information to answer the question without finding some obscure characteristics. But I also clearly have no idea what I'm doing, so my doubts don't hold much weight

I cannot read the base currents in the figure, but yes, that's it.

The characteristics are not "obscure" :smile:

Oh sorry, the graph is for IB = 10 µA, 20 µA, 30 µA, ... , 80 µA.

The highest resistor value in #1 is 50 kΩ → Ib = 188 μA.

That's a problem.

It's a problem because we don't have that data point on the graph? I'm almost certain the answer for the 50 kΩ is 0.0

Are the curves in #5 for a 2N3904 ?

( Curves differ for different types of transistors ).

0.1, 0.1, 0.0. I assume you're in Physics 140 at BYU? All you do for this problem is see if the transistor is on or not. To do this, the current going into the transistor from the R side has to be greater than 1 mA. If it is, then the current through the light bulb=9.8/100, or 0.1 in his class.

1. How does current flow through a lightbulb after passing through a transistor?

After passing through a transistor, the current flows through the lightbulb due to the principle of electrical conductivity. The transistor acts as a switch, allowing the current to flow through the lightbulb when it is turned on.

2. What is the role of a transistor in the flow of current through a lightbulb?

The transistor regulates the current flow through the lightbulb by acting as a switch. When a small amount of current is applied to the base of the transistor, it allows a larger current to pass through from the collector to the emitter, thus powering the lightbulb.

3. How does the current through a lightbulb change after flowing through a transistor?

The current through a lightbulb may change depending on the type of transistor used and its configuration. In a common emitter configuration, the current through the lightbulb will be amplified, while in a common collector configuration, the current will remain the same.

4. Can a transistor affect the brightness of a lightbulb?

Yes, a transistor can affect the brightness of a lightbulb by regulating the amount of current flowing through it. By varying the amount of current passing through the transistor, the brightness of the lightbulb can be controlled.

5. Is the current through a lightbulb affected by the voltage applied to a transistor?

Yes, the current through a lightbulb is affected by the voltage applied to a transistor. The voltage applied to the transistor's base determines the amount of current that can flow through, thus impacting the brightness of the lightbulb.