Current Transform and Mesh Analysis

In summary: In the second version, they don't.In summary, the conversation revolved around finding three mesh currents in a circuit with indicated changes. The individual had successfully solved a similar problem using mesh analysis, but was struggling to redraw the circuit and determine the three mesh currents. After hours of attempts and seeking guidance, they were able to solve the problem by applying KCL with one of the meshes and the original current supply. The professor confirmed this as the correct solution.
naosyth
1 Problem Statement:

kBgpU77.png

2 Relevant Equations

KVL
KCL
Ohm's Law

3 Attempt at Solution

I solved Problem 4.2, which was just mesh analysis on the original problem. I got the correct answers, indicated by F.A. The problem I am having with 4.3 is how to redraw the circuit with the indicated changes. When I redraw it, I am left with only two meshes, but I need to find three mesh currents. All I really need is to be pointed in the right direction on how to redraw the circuit, and where the three mesh currents would be. I have been working on this for hours and have tried too many things to list it all here...

Edit: This is where I am at so far:
H5OlAOT.jpg

Ignore the equations under the circuit, that was just me trying random ideas...

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't see why you need three mesh currents.

I don't either, that's the problem. The question says the find the mesh currents, and lists three answers. Without the current transform, then it is an easy problem. With the transform though, I am quite confused...

Aha! I got it! When you do the transformation, you get two meshes, but then you apply KCL with one of the meshes and the 13A current supply from the original circuit to get the third mesh current. My professor replied to my email shortly after I did this, and confirmed that this is the correct solution! It feels good finally solving this, after 4 hours!

Yeah - you only needed to find three currents.
In the first version of the problem, they corresponded to the meshes.

1. What is current transform analysis?

Current transform analysis is a method used to analyze electrical circuits and calculate the currents flowing through different branches of the circuit. It involves transforming the circuit into a different representation, such as a node-voltage or mesh-current representation, in order to simplify the calculations.

2. How does current transform analysis differ from nodal analysis?

While nodal analysis focuses on the voltages at different nodes in a circuit, current transform analysis focuses on the currents flowing through different branches. Nodal analysis is typically used for circuits with voltage sources, while current transform analysis is more useful for circuits with current sources.

3. What is mesh analysis?

Mesh analysis is a method used to analyze electrical circuits and calculate the currents flowing through different mesh (or loop) paths in the circuit. It involves writing and solving a set of equations based on Kirchhoff's voltage law.

4. How is mesh analysis different from current transform analysis?

Mesh analysis is a specific type of current transform analysis that is used for circuits with current sources. In mesh analysis, the circuit is divided into different mesh (or loop) paths, while in current transform analysis, the circuit may be transformed into a node-voltage or mesh-current representation.

5. What are the advantages of using current transform and mesh analysis?

Current transform and mesh analysis are useful for analyzing complex circuits with multiple sources. They provide a systematic and efficient way to calculate the currents in different branches of the circuit, and can be used to verify the accuracy of hand calculations. They also allow for easy modification of the circuit, making it easier to troubleshoot and make changes if needed.