Curve Enclosing Max Area

In summary, the problem at hand is to find the maximum enclosed area for a given curve. This can be treated as an unconstrained optimization problem by using penalty or barrier methods. In this case, using the barrier method with a carefully chosen barrier function is recommended. The optimization algorithms suggested for solving the unconstrained problem are Steepest descent, Newton’s method, Fletcher-Reeves, and Davidon-Fletcher-Powell.
ozlegolas

Homework Statement

Hi all,
I have a project for optimization class and the problem is that:

A curve [tex]\alpha[/tex](t) = (x(t),y(t)) of length L = 6 units is to be found so that the area enclosed by the curve and the x-axis is maximum. Curve will be start at (1, 0) and end at (3, 0).

I am supposed to solve this problem by using various kind of optimization algorithms which are Steepest descent, Newton’s method, Fletcher-Reeves and Davidon-Fletcher-Powell. I'll apply these methods in Matlab.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since these methods are for unconstrained optimization problems, I think I should treat this constrained problem as an unconstrained problem using some methods like penalty and barrier methods. However, I could't find out which method I should apply.

Thanks in advance..

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your project with us. Finding the maximum enclosed area for a given curve is indeed an interesting optimization problem. As you have mentioned, this problem can be treated as an unconstrained optimization problem by using penalty or barrier methods.

In this case, I would suggest using the barrier method. This method introduces a barrier function that penalizes points outside the feasible region, thus enforcing the constraints. The barrier function is usually chosen such that it approaches infinity as the point approaches the boundary of the feasible region.

You can then use one of the optimization algorithms mentioned (Steepest descent, Newton’s method, Fletcher-Reeves and Davidon-Fletcher-Powell) to solve the unconstrained problem with the barrier function. It is important to note that the choice of the barrier function can affect the convergence of the algorithm, so it is crucial to choose it carefully.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best with your project.

1. What is the "Curve Enclosing Max Area" problem?

The "Curve Enclosing Max Area" problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum area enclosed by a curve in a given space. It is often used in optimization and calculus problems.

2. Why is the "Curve Enclosing Max Area" problem important?

This problem has practical applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It helps to determine the most efficient use of resources and can be used to optimize designs and processes.

3. How do you solve the "Curve Enclosing Max Area" problem?

The solution to this problem involves using calculus techniques such as finding the derivative and setting it equal to zero to find critical points. Then, the maximum area can be found by testing the critical points and the endpoints of the curve.

4. Are there real-life examples of the "Curve Enclosing Max Area" problem?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of this problem. For instance, it can be used to determine the optimal shape of a container to hold a certain volume of liquid, or the most efficient path for a farmer to fence in a rectangular field with a limited amount of fencing.

5. Are there any variations of the "Curve Enclosing Max Area" problem?

Yes, there are variations of this problem, such as finding the minimum area enclosed by a curve or finding the maximum volume enclosed by a surface. These variations may involve different constraints and require different approaches to solve.