Curve tangent is orthogonal to curve at a point

In summary: Find the vector orthogonal to ##\vec r(t)## at ##P##.The vector orthogonal to ##\vec r(t)## at ##P## is ##\vec r(t) = (1-t, 0), t \in [0,1]##.
mahler1
Homework Statement .

Let ##C## be a curve that doesn't pass through the origin and let ##P## be the closest point on the curve to the origin. Prove that the tangent to ##C## at ##P## is orthogonal to the vector ##P##.

The attempt at a solution.

Suppose ##P=\gamma(t_0)##, I want to show that ##<\gamma'(t_0),\gamma(t_0)>=0##. I am pretty lost with the exercise and I don't know why they mention the curve doesn't pass through the origin or the fact that ##P## is the closest point to the origin, are those hypothesis necessary?. I would appreciate some suggestions and maybe an intuitive idea of why these two vectors are orthogonal. By the way, in my class we are always working with curves parametrized by the arc lenght, so maybe I have to use the fact that ##|\gamma'|=1##.

Physics news on Phys.org
How would you express the distance from the origin, O, to a point on C in terms of γ(t)? How would you then express the condition for an extremum of that function?
If C passes through the origin, where will P be? What meaning would you attach to the notion of a vector orthogonal to OP in that case?

Likes 1 person
The claim seems false to me. Don't you have to add that ##C## is closed?

mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .

Let ##C## be a curve that doesn't pass through the origin and let ##P## be the closest point on the curve to the origin. Prove that the tangent to ##C## at ##P## is orthogonal to the vector ##P##.

The attempt at a solution.

Suppose ##P=\gamma(t_0)##, I want to show that ##<\gamma'(t_0),\gamma(t_0)>=0##. I am pretty lost with the exercise and I don't know why they mention the curve doesn't pass through the origin or the fact that ##P## is the closest point to the origin, are those hypothesis necessary?.

If the curve passes through the origin which point is closest to the origin?

The points of the curve C are at some distance from the origin. P is the closest, that is, the distance between P and the origin is the shortest. You have to name a special point somehow...
mahler1 said:
I would appreciate some suggestions and maybe an intuitive idea of why these two vectors are orthogonal. By the way, in my class we are always working with curves parametrized by the arc lenght, so maybe I have to use the fact that ##|\gamma'|=1##.

The vector pointing to some point of the curve is ##\vec r(t) ## where t is the arc length. What is that distance of that point from the origin in terms of ##\vec r(t) ## ?

ehild

Likes 1 person
Quesadilla said:
The claim seems false to me. Don't you have to add that ##C## is closed?
You would certainly need that it is differentiable everywhere and does not suddenly stop. Only needs to be closed if you count closure at infinity.

Following your suggestions (haruspex,ehild), the distance between any point of the curve ##\gamma(t)## and the origin is ##||\gamma(t)-(0,0)||##. At the point ##\gamma(t_0)=P##, this function has a minimum and as the norm is a monotone increasing function, I can look at the function ##||\gamma(t)-(0,0)||^2=<\gamma(t),\gamma(t)>##. Since ##\gamma(t_0)## is a minimum, then ##(<\gamma(t_0),\gamma(t_0)>)'=0##. But then## 0=(<\gamma(t_0),\gamma(t_0)>)'=<\gamma'(t_0),\gamma(t_0)>+<\gamma(t_0),\gamma'(t_0)>=2<\gamma'(t_0),\gamma(t_0)>##. From here it follows ##\gamma'(t_0)## is orthogonal to ##\gamma(t_0)##.

Is this correct?

mahler1 said:
Following your suggestions (haruspex,ehild), the distance between any point of the curve ##\gamma(t)## and the origin is ##||\gamma(t)-(0,0)||##. At the point ##\gamma(t_0)=P##, this function has a minimum and as the norm is a monotone increasing function, I can look at the function ##||\gamma(t)-(0,0)||^2=<\gamma(t),\gamma(t)>##. Since ##\gamma(t_0)## is a minimum, then ##(<\gamma(t_0),\gamma(t_0)>)'=0##. But then## 0=(<\gamma(t_0),\gamma(t_0)>)'=<\gamma'(t_0),\gamma(t_0)>+<\gamma(t_0),\gamma'(t_0)>=2<\gamma'(t_0),\gamma(t_0)>##. From here it follows ##\gamma'(t_0)## is orthogonal to ##\gamma(t_0)##.

Is this correct?

Add, that γ'(t) is tangent to the curve γ(t), so γ(t0)γ'(t0)=0 involves that γ(t0) is perpendicular to he tangent of the curve at point P.

ehild

haruspex said:
You would certainly need that it is differentiable everywhere and does not suddenly stop. Only needs to be closed if you count closure at infinity.

Yes. I just wanted to rule out the possibility that the minimum occurred at an endpoint.

At the risk of being too obvious, say the planar curve ##\gamma(t) = (1+t, 0), \, t \in [0,1].##

1. What does it mean for a curve tangent to be orthogonal to a curve at a point?

When a curve tangent is orthogonal to a curve at a point, it means that the tangent line and the curve intersect at a right angle at that point. In other words, the tangent line is perpendicular to the curve at that specific point.

2. How can I determine if a curve tangent is orthogonal to a curve at a point?

This can be determined by taking the derivative of the curve at the given point and finding the slope of the tangent line. Then, find the slope of the curve at that point using the original equation. If the two slopes are negative reciprocals of each other, then the tangent line is orthogonal to the curve at that point.

3. Why is it important to know if a curve tangent is orthogonal to a curve at a point?

Knowing if a curve tangent is orthogonal to a curve at a point can help us understand the behavior of the curve at that point. It can also be useful in finding critical points and determining the direction of the curve at that point.

4. Can a curve tangent be orthogonal to a curve at more than one point?

Yes, a curve tangent can be orthogonal to a curve at multiple points. This means that the tangent line is perpendicular to the curve at each of those points.

5. Is there a specific formula or method for finding the point(s) where a curve tangent is orthogonal to a curve?

There is no specific formula or method for finding the point(s) where a curve tangent is orthogonal to a curve. It requires finding the slope of the tangent line and the curve at a given point and determining if they are negative reciprocals of each other. This can be done through the derivative and original equation of the curve.