Curvilinear basis in spherical polar coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the covariant basis vectors in spherical polar coordinates. The correct method involves calculating the normalized gradients of the equations defining the coordinate planes and substituting the expressions for x, y, and z to eliminate them. The two sets of basis vectors will be identical if one set consists of mutually perpendicular vectors and the other set has the same directions but not necessarily the same moduli. It is also mentioned that the covariant and contravariant basis vectors may be the same if the metric coefficient is 1.
asdfghhjkl

Homework Statement

As a part of my self study I am trying to find the covariant basis vectors in the spherical polar coordinates. Since I have never done anything like this before I would appreciate if someone could tell me whether I am on the rigth track.

Homework Equations

[itex]r=\sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)[/itex]
[itex]\theta=\arctan(\frac{y}{x})[/itex]
[itex]\psi=\arccos(\frac{z}{\sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)})[/itex]

I used the equation; [itex]\overline{\epsilon}^{i}_r = \frac{\nabla x_i}{\left| \nabla x_i \right|}[/itex]

and also

[itex]x=r\sin(\theta)\cos(\psi)[/itex]
[itex]y=r\sin(\theta)\sin(\psi)[/itex]
[itex]z=r\cos(\theta)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the grad of the first three equations and then divided that by the magnitude of the vector. Then I substituted x,y,z with the last equation. I got [itex] \overline{\epsilon}^{i}= (\sin(\theta)\cos(\psi), \sin(\theta)\sin(\psi), \cos(\theta))[/itex]. This seem correct to me? I got lost evaluating the other two vectors, but provided that this is the correct method then I am confident that I will get the correct solution sooner or latter.

I would also appreciate it if someone could tell me whether there is some easier way to find the covariant basis vectors in spherical polar coordinates?

Thank you very much for all the help

P.S. I was also wondering whether the covariant and contravariant basis vectors are the same in the if the metric coefficient is 1? (sorry for the very vague wording)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The correct way is indeed to calculate the normalized grads of the three equations defining the sets of coordinate planes and then eliminate x, y and z from the results by substituting the expressions for x, y and z as functions of r, θ, ψ. For the two sets you mention to be identical, you first need one of them to consist of mutually perpendicular vectors. In this case, the vectors in the other set will have the same directions as the vectors in the first set, but not necessarily the same moduli. If, in addition, the vectors on one of the sets have all modulus one, so do the vectors on the other set and so the two sets are identical in this case.

Likes 1 person
Great thank you for the clarification.

Last edited:

Related to Curvilinear basis in spherical polar coordinates

1. What is a curvilinear basis in spherical polar coordinates?

A curvilinear basis in spherical polar coordinates is a set of three vectors that are used to define a position in three-dimensional space. The basis vectors are oriented along the three coordinate axes: radial distance, polar angle, and azimuthal angle. These coordinates are commonly used in physics and mathematics to describe the position of an object in spherical coordinates.

2. How is a curvilinear basis different from a Cartesian basis?

A Cartesian basis uses three orthogonal vectors (perpendicular to each other) to define a position in three-dimensional space, while a curvilinear basis uses three non-orthogonal vectors that are dependent on the specific coordinate system being used. This means that in a curvilinear basis, the basis vectors can change depending on the position in space, while in a Cartesian basis, the basis vectors remain constant.

3. What are the advantages of using a curvilinear basis in spherical polar coordinates?

Using a curvilinear basis in spherical polar coordinates can simplify calculations and equations in certain situations, particularly when dealing with problems that involve spherical symmetry. This coordinate system can also be useful for visualizing and understanding physical systems that exhibit spherical symmetry, such as planetary orbits or electromagnetic fields.

4. How are the basis vectors in a curvilinear basis determined?

The basis vectors in a curvilinear basis are determined by taking the partial derivatives of the position vector with respect to each of the coordinate variables. In spherical polar coordinates, the basis vectors are typically denoted as er, eθ, and eφ, and are given by er = (sin θ cos φ, sin θ sin φ, cos θ), eθ = (cos θ cos φ, cos θ sin φ, -sin θ), and eφ = (-sin φ, cos φ, 0).

5. Are there any limitations to using a curvilinear basis in spherical polar coordinates?

While a curvilinear basis in spherical polar coordinates can be useful in certain situations, it may not be the most appropriate coordinate system for all problems. It can be more difficult to work with compared to a Cartesian basis, and some calculations may become more complicated. Additionally, this coordinate system may not be suitable for describing objects that do not exhibit spherical symmetry.