Cutkosky Cutting Rules: Understanding Rules & Where To Add i

In summary: This is a different convention from the one I am familiar with, but it achieves the same purpose. In summary, it is important to keep track of the signs and factors of ##i## when evaluating Feynman diagrams.
thoughtgaze
OKay, so whenever I run into explanations on the cutting rules, most of the time I see the statement to replace##\frac{1}{p^2 - m^2 + i\epsilon} \rightarrow -2i\pi \delta(p^2 - m^2)## for each propagator that has been cut

taking note that there is no factor of i in the numerator for ##\frac{1}{p^2 - m^2 + i\epsilon}##

so for example, for ##\phi^3## theory we can have a loop amplitude given by

##iM(p^2) = \frac{(i\lambda)^2}{2} \int \frac{d^4k}{(2\pi)^4}\frac{i}{(k-p)^2 - m^2 + i\epsilon}\frac{i}{k^2 - m^2 + i\epsilon}##

or
##iM(p^2) = -\frac{(i\lambda)^2}{2} \int \frac{d^4k}{(2\pi)^4}\frac{1}{(k-p)^2 - m^2 + i\epsilon}\frac{1}{k^2 - m^2 + i\epsilon}##Making the cut through the diagram, and making the above defined replacement gives

##-\frac{(i\lambda)^2}{2} \int \frac{d^4k}{(2\pi)^4}[-2i\pi \delta((k-p)^2 - m^2)][-2i\pi \delta(k^2 - m^2)]##

upon simplifying we should have...

##-\frac{(\lambda)^2}{2} \int \frac{d^4k}{(2\pi)^2}[\delta((k-p)^2 - m^2)][\delta(k^2 - m^2)]##

which is off, by a minus sign, from the right answer...

I would get the right answer if I made the replacement

##\frac{i}{p^2 - m^2 + i\epsilon} \rightarrow -2i\pi \delta(p^2 - m^2)##
WITH the factor of i in the numerator

instead of ##\frac{1}{p^2 - m^2 + i\epsilon} \rightarrow -2i\pi \delta(p^2 - m^2)##
WITHOUT the factor of i in the numerator

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The main thing I see you're doing wrong is evaluating Feynman diagrams.

Likes Frico
Oh? Well how so?

@thoughtgaze
I have been using Cutkosky's cutting rules extensively in my summer project but I still regard myself as an amateur in QFT so please take everything I am saying with a pinch of salt as they say :) The replacement of the off shell propagator terms with delta functions when we take a 'cut' is given by, as far as I am aware, ##(k^2-m^2+i\epsilon)^{-1} \rightarrow 2 \pi \delta(k^2-m^2)##.

The factors of ##i## come into play depending on whether we are using the normal or complex conjugated version of the Feynman rules. Given a cut diagram, there is a convention that we label the vertices of the diagram black or white, black vertices follow standard Feynman rules and are accompanied by a factor of ##i## and white ones the complex conjugated version so come with a ##-i##. In this set up, there is usually a corresponding theta function in the replacement above of the propagator terms so that energy flow from black to white vertices is counted positively but I am not sure if you are perhaps using another convention.

Interesting, I have not heard of this convention to treat the vertices differently by complex conjugation. Do you have any references for this particular notion?

Also, I have not seen ##(k^2-m^2+i\epsilon)^{-1} \rightarrow 2 \pi \delta(k^2-m^2)## in any reference I have, for example, peskin&schroeder eq. 7.56

Apologies for delay in replying,
thoughtgaze said:
Interesting, I have not heard of this convention to treat the vertices differently by complex conjugation. Do you have any references for this particular notion?
See for example pages 9-10 of this paper http://arxiv.org/pdf/1401.3546v2.pdf.

What are Cutkosky Cutting Rules?

Cutkosky Cutting Rules are a set of mathematical rules developed by Stanford researcher and professor, J. Michael Cutkosky. They are used to simplify and solve equations involving complex variables, specifically in the field of algebraic geometry.

Why are Cutkosky Cutting Rules important?

These rules are important because they can be used to determine the singularities of an algebraic variety, which is a set of solutions to a system of polynomial equations. They also help to simplify calculations and provide insight into the structure of algebraic varieties.

How do I use Cutkosky Cutting Rules?

To use Cutkosky Cutting Rules, you will need to have a basic understanding of algebraic geometry and complex numbers. The rules involve manipulating equations and identifying specific variables to add to the equations in order to simplify them. There are also certain conditions and exceptions that must be taken into account when using these rules.

Where can I learn more about Cutkosky Cutting Rules?

There are many resources available online and in textbooks that explain Cutkosky Cutting Rules in detail. Some universities also offer courses or seminars on this topic. Additionally, you can contact a mathematician or algebraic geometry researcher for more information.

Are Cutkosky Cutting Rules applicable in other fields of science?

While these rules were developed for use in algebraic geometry, they can also be applied in other fields such as physics and computer science. In physics, they can be used to study the behavior of physical systems, and in computer science, they can be used to optimize algorithms and solve complex problems involving variables.