Cutting, at the atomic/molecular level

• Thread starter Grantdh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cutting
In summary, the discussion revolves around the concept of touch and whether it is possible due to electron repulsion. It is explained that the repulsive EM force between electrons is what allows for cutting. Zeno's paradox is mentioned as a similar concept that was solved with calculus. The role of sharp objects, like a surgeon's scalpel, in applying more precisely concentrated EM force is also discussed. The relationship between force and pressure is brought up as a possible explanation for the effectiveness of cutting and penetration on a macroscopic scale.
Grantdh
I know there is supposedly no such thing as a stupid question but this might make some of you reconsider if that is true.

We assume that we can never actually touch something due to electron repulsion. How then is it possible for something to cut you?

I know this sounds a lot like Zeno's paradox, which was solved with calculous. So I guess I'm wondering if there is a way to reconcile this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is this a "philosophical" question?

Zz.

Grantdh said:
We assume that we can never actually touch something due to electron repulsion. How then is it possible for something to cut you?

The repulsive EM force between the electrons is what does the cutting.

Likes 1 person
Well I was thinking of it like Zeno's paradox which I assumed is a philosophical question but thinking about it now I realize a philosophical question, by definition, does not have an answer. So that must mean Zeno's paradox is no longer a philosophical question but a simple calculus question.

Grantdh said:
We assume that we can never actually touch something due to electron repulsion.

Who assumes that? To add to Drakkith's post, sufficient electric repulsion is touching.

Likes 1 person
Thank you Darkkith. That makes a lot of sense. So is it correct to say that an extremely sharp object, like a surgeons scalpel, simply allows for a more precisely applied EM force?

ModusPwnd I guess a more precise operational definition has to be made for touching. Like you said our day to day definition of touching is sufficient EM repulsion.

Grantdh said:
Thank you Darkkith. That makes a lot of sense. So is it correct to say that an extremely sharp object, like a surgeons scalpel, simply allows for a more precisely applied EM force?

Yes, a sharp edge concentrates the applied force along a very thin line instead of spreading it out.

Drakkith said:
Yes, a sharp edge concentrates the applied force along a very thin line instead of spreading it out.

I guess the density of the force (electric field) imbalance where the sharp edge contacts the material must relate to what we would normally call 'pressure'. The effectiveness at cutting and penetration boils down to pressure - on a macroscopic scale.

Thread has been retitled, to conform to our requirement that thread title must be descriptive of the content.

Zz.

sophiecentaur said:
I guess the density of the force (electric field) imbalance where the sharp edge contacts the material must relate to what we would normally call 'pressure'. The effectiveness at cutting and penetration boils down to pressure - on a macroscopic scale.

I believe so since pressure is the applied force divided by the area it is applied to. P=F/A

What is cutting at the atomic/molecular level?

Cutting at the atomic/molecular level is a process of separating or dividing materials at the smallest possible scale, which is the atomic or molecular level. This involves breaking the bonds between atoms or molecules to create smaller pieces of the material.

What tools or techniques are used for cutting at the atomic/molecular level?

Some common tools and techniques used for cutting at the atomic/molecular level include electron microscopes, ion beams, and focused ion beam technology. These allow scientists to manipulate and remove individual atoms or molecules to create precise cuts.

What are the potential applications of cutting at the atomic/molecular level?

Cutting at the atomic/molecular level has a wide range of potential applications, including nanotechnology, material science, and biomedical engineering. It can also be used in the development of new and improved materials for various industries.

What are the challenges of cutting at the atomic/molecular level?

One of the main challenges of cutting at the atomic/molecular level is the precision required. The process involves manipulating individual atoms or molecules, which requires advanced technology and techniques. There is also a risk of damaging the material if the cutting is not done accurately.

What advancements have been made in cutting at the atomic/molecular level?

In recent years, there have been significant advancements in cutting at the atomic/molecular level, including the development of new tools and techniques. This has allowed for more precise and efficient cutting, opening up new possibilities for research and applications in various fields.