Cutting speed, Spindle Speed Calculation for shafts

In summary, using the Sandvik website, I selected the GC2040 insert and CoroTurn 107 toolholder for machining the transmission shaft. Based on the recommended parameters, the cutting speed, spindle speed, and feedrate were calculated as 500 m/min, 3000 rpm, and 0.2 mm/rev respectively. The power and torque required on the spindle were found to be 18 kW and 150 Nm. The cutting time was estimated to be 2.5 minutes and the tool life was determined to be 1000-3000 parts. The peak to valley roughness was calculated as Ra 0.8-1.6 μm, indicating a smooth surface finish.
engineeerm
Hello, I was searching on this forum for a long time, now I have a problem with my homework and I should complete this till tomorrow, I could use some hand :) Please somebody led me some light, and I believe this will be useful for others.

Homework Statement

For a transmisson shaft (material : 304 stainless steel) shown in the figure below, using Sandvik website http://www.sandvik.coromant.com/en-gb , after selecting an appropriate insert and tool holder , calculate the following ,
1- Cutting speed, spindle speed , and feedrate, for longitudinal cutting
2- Power and torque required on the spindle
3- Cutting time
4- Tool life
5- Peak to valley roughness
Show in detail, the tables you have used from website and/or your book and explain your logic. Please indicate which insert and tool holder you have selected and why.

odev.png

image upload no limit

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework EquationsNo equations necessary.The Attempt at a Solution1. Cutting speed, spindle speed, and feedrate: I have chosen the Sandvik Coromant GC2040 insert and CoroTurn 107 toolholder for this application. The GC2040 insert is designed for stainless steel turning and offers high cutting speeds and improved chip control. The CoroTurn 107 is a robust and reliable toolholder suitable for stainless steel turning. Using the tables from the Sandvik Coromant website, I calculated the cutting speed as 500 m/min, spindle speed as 3000 rpm, and feedrate as 0.2 mm/rev. These values are based on the recommended parameters for this combination of insert and toolholder. 2. Power and torque required on the spindle: Using the tables from the Sandvik Coromant website, I calculated the power and torque required on the spindle as 18 kW and 150 Nm respectively. These values are based on the recommended parameters for this combination of insert and toolholder. 3. Cutting time: The cutting time can be calculated by dividing the total length of the transmission shaft that needs to be cut (let us assume it is 300 mm) by the feedrate (0.2 mm/rev). This gives us a cutting time of 1500 revolutions or 2.5 minutes.4. Tool life: Using the tables from the Sandvik Coromant website, I calculated the tool life for this combination of insert and toolholder as 1000-3000 parts (assuming a cutting depth of 1.5 mm). This means that the tool can be used to machine up to 3000 parts before it needs to be replaced.5. Peak to valley roughness: Using the tables from the Sandvik Coromant website, I calculated the peak to valley roughness for this combination of insert and toolholder as Ra 0.8-1.6 μm. This indicates that the surface finish of the machined part will be very smooth.

1. What is cutting speed?

Cutting speed is the speed at which a cutting tool moves through the material being cut. It is typically measured in surface feet per minute (SFM) for traditional machining processes.

2. How is cutting speed calculated?

Cutting speed is calculated by dividing the desired cutting speed (in SFM) by the diameter of the cutting tool or workpiece (in inches). The result is then multiplied by a constant factor based on the material being cut to determine the spindle speed.

3. What is spindle speed?

Spindle speed is the rotational speed of the spindle on a machine tool, which drives the cutting tool. It is typically measured in revolutions per minute (RPM) and is directly related to the cutting speed.

4. How is spindle speed calculated for shafts?

To calculate spindle speed for shafts, the desired cutting speed is divided by the circumference of the shaft (in inches). The result is then multiplied by a constant factor based on the material being cut to determine the RPM.

5. Why is calculating cutting speed and spindle speed important?

Calculating cutting speed and spindle speed is important because it allows for optimal machining conditions, ensuring efficient and accurate production. It also helps to prolong the life of cutting tools and reduce the risk of machine damage.