Cyclic Quotient Group: Is My Reasoning Sound?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between cyclic groups and finitely generated groups. It is concluded that while G/N being cyclic implies G is cyclic, the converse is not always true. However, if G is cyclic, then G/N is also cyclic.
Gabrielle Horn
Hi everyone.

So it's apparent that G/N cyclic --> G cyclic. But the converse does not seem to hold; in fact, from what I can discern, given N cyclic, all we need for G/N cyclic is that G is finitely generated. That is, if G=<g1,...,gn>, we can construct:

G/N=<(g1 * ... *gn)*k>

Where k is the generator of N and * the group operation. To create each coset g1N... gnN, we simply take gi for i=0,1,...n and then set all other (n-1) elements to the identity under the group operation, {e}. Thus we have n generators for g, but only one generator for G/N. Is this reasoning sound?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gabrielle Horn said:
So it's apparent that G/N cyclic --> G cyclic.
But that's not true. Zp + Zp (direct sum, p prime) is not cyclic, but (Zp + Zp) / Zp (with one of the summands as the denominator) is isomorphic to Zp, hence cyclic.

Perhaps you meant it the other way round: G cyclic --> G/N cyclic?

Last edited:

1. What is a cyclic quotient group?

A cyclic quotient group is a mathematical structure that consists of a group (a set with an operation) and a normal subgroup (a special subset of the group) such that the quotient group (the group formed by grouping elements of the original group together according to the normal subgroup) is cyclic (has a specific repeating pattern).

2. How is a cyclic quotient group different from a regular quotient group?

A regular quotient group is formed by taking the elements of a group and grouping them together according to a subgroup. A cyclic quotient group has an additional requirement that the resulting quotient group must be cyclic. This means that the elements of the quotient group can be generated by a single element, called a generator.

3. What is the significance of a cyclic quotient group?

Cyclic quotient groups have many practical applications in various branches of mathematics, such as number theory, algebra, and topology. They also have important theoretical implications, as they can help us better understand the structure of groups and their subgroups.

4. How can I determine if my reasoning about a cyclic quotient group is sound?

To determine if your reasoning about a cyclic quotient group is sound, you can use the definition of a cyclic quotient group and check if all the conditions are met. Additionally, you can use theorems and properties of cyclic groups and quotient groups to support your reasoning.

5. Can a cyclic quotient group be infinite?

Yes, a cyclic quotient group can be infinite. All that matters is that the quotient group has a repeating pattern, not the size of the original group or the subgroup. So, as long as the quotient group is cyclic, it can be infinite.