Cycling Up a Hill: Calculating Work Against Gravity

• Thread starter zaddyzad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the question is asking for the amount of work done by the cyclist against gravity, which can be calculated using the formula W = mgh. The component of gravity opposing motion, also known as the work done by gravity, does not need to be included in this calculation. The work done by gravity is negative in this scenario since the force of gravity is downwards while the cyclist's displacement is upwards. Therefore, the correct formula to use is W = mgh.
zaddyzad

Homework Statement

(III) A cyclist intends to cycle up a 7.50° hill whose vertical
height is 125 m. The pedals turn in a circle of diameter
36.0 cm. Assuming the mass of bicycle plus person is
75.0 kg, (a) calculate how much work must be done against
gravity.

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is about the wording about a. Work done against gravity is done by the cyclist right? So Shouldn't the computation of this be W = mgh + W(done by sliding force) and not just mgh?

Can explain the wording of these type questions. The way it seems to me it's asking the work done by the cyclist.

Physics news on Phys.org
What sliding force?

There is no mention of friction (sliding force?) in the problem.

By sliding force I mean the component of gravity opposing motion.

So I'm thinking mgh = Work done by cyclist - Work done by gravity, and when it asks work done against gravity I'm assuming its asking for the work done by the cyclist.

I need wording clarification.

zaddyzad said:
By sliding force I mean the component of gravity opposing motion.
Gravity does not oppose motion.

But gravity is doing work against the cyclist no... ? Its pulling him backwards as he tries cycling upwards.

Not backwards, downwards. The work done against gravity is mgh.

Look at it this way... The PE gained climbing a mountain is mgh right? Note that mgh does not say anything about the route taken. It does not make a difference if you take the longer but easier route or the shorter steeper route (ignoring the fact that humans might be more efficient taking one route or the other)

CWatters said:
Not backwards, downwards. The work done against gravity is mgh.

Look at it this way... The PE gained climbing a mountain is mgh right? Note that mgh does not say anything about the route taken. It does not make a difference if you take the longer but easier route or the shorter steeper route (ignoring the fact that humans might be more efficient taking one route or the other)
... and the work gravity is 'doing' against the cyclist is negative. The force of gravity is downwards but the cyclist's displacement is upwards, so the two have opposite sign, and thus a negative product.

What is the definition of work in relation to cycling up a hill?

Work is a measure of the energy required to move an object against a force. In the case of cycling up a hill, work is the energy needed to overcome the force of gravity and move the cyclist and their bike to a higher elevation.

How is work against gravity calculated when cycling up a hill?

The work done against gravity when cycling up a hill can be calculated using the formula W = mgh, where W is work, m is the mass of the cyclist and their bike, g is the gravitational constant (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the change in height.

What factors affect the amount of work required when cycling up a hill?

The amount of work required when cycling up a hill is affected by several factors, including the mass of the cyclist and their bike, the incline of the hill, and the distance traveled. The steeper the hill and the heavier the cyclist and bike, the more work will be required.

How does work against gravity impact a cyclist's speed when cycling up a hill?

The work done against gravity when cycling up a hill will decrease a cyclist's speed, as some of the energy that could have been used for forward motion is instead being used to overcome the force of gravity. This is why it is generally more difficult to maintain a high speed when cycling up a hill compared to on a flat surface.

What are some strategies for reducing the amount of work required when cycling up a hill?

One strategy for reducing the amount of work required when cycling up a hill is to use proper gear selection. Choosing a lower gear will make it easier to pedal and require less work against gravity. Additionally, maintaining a consistent pace and keeping the body and bike in an aerodynamic position can help reduce the amount of work needed to overcome the force of gravity.