Cyclohexanol: Polar or Nonpolar?

• Thread starter kooombaya
  • Start date
In summary, cyclohexanol is classified as mostly nonpolar due to its bulky ring structure. However, it is still more polar than cyclohexane. The presence of the hydroxyl group can make it somewhat polar and capable of forming hydrogen bonds. This would make it somewhat soluble in water.
kooombaya
Hi, I was wondering if cyclohexanol is polar or nonpolar. My guess is that it's nonpolar but the hydroxyl group attached to it is confusing me. That oxygen can attract electrons making it somewhat polar?? Also can it form a hydrogen bond? Would it form one with water making it somewhat soluble in it??

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Polar/non polar is not a TRUE FALSE property, some substances are more polar, some are less. I would classify cyclohexanol as mostly non polar, as the ring is relatively bulky. At the same time there is no doubt it is much more polar than cyclohexane.

OK, thanks for clearing that up!

Related to Cyclohexanol: Polar or Nonpolar?

1. Is Cyclohexanol a polar or nonpolar molecule?

Cyclohexanol is a polar molecule. This is because it contains both polar C-O and C-H bonds, which create an uneven distribution of charge within the molecule.

2. What factors determine the polarity of Cyclohexanol?

The polarity of Cyclohexanol is determined by the presence of polar bonds, the shape of the molecule, and the electronegativity difference between the atoms. In this case, the polar bonds and asymmetrical shape contribute to the overall polarity of the molecule.

3. How does the polarity of Cyclohexanol affect its physical properties?

The polarity of Cyclohexanol affects its physical properties in several ways. It has a higher boiling point and melting point compared to nonpolar molecules due to stronger intermolecular forces between polar molecules. It is also more soluble in polar solvents and less soluble in nonpolar solvents.

4. Can Cyclohexanol form hydrogen bonds?

Yes, Cyclohexanol can form hydrogen bonds. The hydroxyl group (-OH) on the molecule is polar and has a partial negative charge, allowing it to form hydrogen bonds with other molecules that have a partially positive hydrogen atom, such as water.

5. Is the polarity of Cyclohexanol affected by its temperature?

The polarity of Cyclohexanol is not significantly affected by temperature. However, at higher temperatures, the intermolecular forces between molecules become weaker, which can affect its physical properties such as solubility and viscosity.