Density Column, Need Polar/Nonpolar Examples

In summary, the forum user is looking to create a multi-layer density column with a polarized laser shining through it. They are seeking suggestions for household liquids to use, with the goal of creating distinct layers and observing changes in scattering intensity. Some ideas include using different types of oils and polar liquids, as well as incorporating a layer of salt water. Trial runs will be necessary to find the ideal combination of liquids for the experiment.
tampora
I'm trying to devise an experiment. If you've never seen a multi-layer density column, check out this link:

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiment/seven-layer-density-column

I would like to make a density column, similar to this one, with one notable exception. The order of the liquids are: polar, nonpolar, polar, nonpolar, polar, etc.

The purpose of it all is that I'll be shining a polarized HeNe laser down the center of the column. Meanwhile, I'll be rotating the planar polarization of the beam using a half-wave plate. At a specific viewpoint from the column, I hope to see changes in scattering intensity as I rotate the beam, but only for those liquids that are polar.

So far, this is what I am thinking:

Methanol - Polar (792 kg/m^3)
Gasoline - Nonpolar (803 kg/m^3)
?
Vegetable Oil - Nonpolar (920 kg/m^3)
Water - Polar (985 kg/m^3)
?
Honey - Polar (1420 kg/m^3)

I'd like to NOT use gasoline for the risk factor and I doubt my teacher would like the smell of the optics lab afterwords. Do you guys have any ideas for household liquids that would complete or make this column better? For example, the density of methanol and gasoline are so close together, making distinct layers might be difficult. But then again, since one is polar and one isn't, making distinct layers may be easy...

Any thoughts?

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your experiment idea with us. It sounds like a very interesting and unique approach to using a multi-layer density column. I have a few suggestions and thoughts that may help with your experiment.

Firstly, I would recommend looking into using different types of oils for your nonpolar layers. Vegetable oil may not have a high enough density to create distinct layers with the other liquids. You could try using mineral oil or even baby oil, which have higher densities and are also nonpolar. This would also eliminate the risk factor and strong smell associated with gasoline.

Secondly, you could consider using different types of polar liquids instead of just water and honey. For example, you could try using rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) or vinegar, which have different densities and would create more distinct layers. Additionally, you could try using different colors of food coloring in each layer to make it easier to distinguish between them.

Another idea would be to add a layer of salt water in between the polar and nonpolar layers. This would create a more dramatic difference in density and could potentially enhance the scattering effect you are hoping to observe.

Lastly, I would recommend doing some trial runs with different combinations of liquids to see which ones create the most distinct and stable layers. As you mentioned, the density of the liquids is not the only factor that affects layer formation, so it will be important to find the right balance of polar and nonpolar liquids.

I hope these suggestions are helpful and I wish you success with your experiment. Please feel free to reach out with any further questions or updates on your progress.

Best of luck,

1. What is a density column?

A density column is a scientific demonstration that shows the separation of different liquids based on their density. This is achieved by carefully layering liquids with different densities on top of each other, creating a column with distinct layers.

2. How is density calculated?

Density is calculated by dividing an object's mass by its volume. The formula for density is D = m/V, where D is density, m is mass, and V is volume. The unit for density is typically grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm³) for solids and liquids, and grams per liter (g/L) for gases.

3. Why is polarity important in a density column?

Polarity is important in a density column because it determines the relative position of a liquid in the column. Polar liquids are more likely to be denser and sink to the bottom, while nonpolar liquids are less dense and float on top. This is due to the differences in intermolecular forces between polar and nonpolar substances.

4. What are some examples of polar and nonpolar substances for a density column?

Some examples of polar substances that can be used in a density column are water, ethanol, and vinegar. Nonpolar substances that can be used include vegetable oil, honey, and corn syrup. It is important to note that the density of these substances can vary, so it is best to experiment and choose liquids with a significant difference in density for a more dramatic density column.

5. What is the purpose of a density column in science?

The purpose of a density column in science is to visually demonstrate the concept of density and how it affects the behavior of different substances. It also allows for a better understanding of polarity and how it can affect the arrangement of substances in a mixture. Density columns are commonly used in chemistry and physics classrooms as a hands-on activity to engage students and reinforce key concepts.