Cylindrical cavity resonator problem

In summary, the correct answer for the dominant mode and lowest frequency band in a cylindrical cavity resonator with a diameter of 24 mm and length of 20 mm would be the TE111 mode, as per the given condition. It is important to consider all factors and conditions before making a decision in scientific problem solving.
Dhruv

Homework Statement

Q. A cylindrical cavity resonator has diameter of 24 mm and length 20 mm. The dominant mode and the lowest frequency band are operated as ? I am providing a picture of problem to show the options given to me.

I solved the problem by calculating resonant frequency for cavity resonator and my answer is coming to be (a).

But on considering the condition " TM110 mode is dominant where 2a > d , and that the TE111 mode is dominant when d > 2a. My answer is coming to be (d).
Then which one should I consider of two options.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am providing pictures of my work below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 708
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 572
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 526
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to carefully consider all the factors and conditions before making a decision. In this case, the condition given states that for the TM110 mode to be dominant, the diameter (d) of the cavity must be greater than twice the radius (a).

Based on the given dimensions of the cavity (d = 24 mm, a = 12 mm), it is clear that the condition for the TM110 mode to be dominant is not met. Therefore, the TE111 mode would be the dominant mode in this case.

Hence, the correct answer would be (d) - TE111 mode. It is important to carefully analyze the given information and conditions before solving the problem to ensure accurate results.

What is a cylindrical cavity resonator?

A cylindrical cavity resonator is a type of electromagnetic cavity that consists of a cylindrical metallic structure with conducting walls. It is used to contain and manipulate electromagnetic waves, typically at microwave frequencies.

What is the purpose of studying the cylindrical cavity resonator?

The study of the cylindrical cavity resonator is important in the fields of electromagnetics and microwave engineering. It is used in various applications, such as in electronic circuits, communication systems, and radar technology, to name a few.

What is the resonant frequency of a cylindrical cavity resonator?

The resonant frequency of a cylindrical cavity resonator depends on its dimensions and the electromagnetic properties of the material used. It can be calculated using the formula f = (nc/2π√(εrμr)) where n is the mode number, c is the speed of light, εr is the relative permittivity, and μr is the relative permeability.

How is the quality factor of a cylindrical cavity resonator determined?

The quality factor, or Q-factor, of a cylindrical cavity resonator is a measure of its ability to store energy. It is determined by dividing the resonant frequency by the bandwidth of the cavity. A higher Q-factor indicates a more efficient resonator.

What are some practical applications of cylindrical cavity resonators?

Cylindrical cavity resonators are commonly used in microwave circuits to filter, amplify, and select specific frequencies. They are also used in antennas, oscillators, and sensors. Additionally, they are used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, for their ability to produce and amplify electromagnetic waves.