How Do You Determine the Limits for r and θ in a Cylindrical Coordinate System?

In summary, the limits for the triple integral of y in the given scenario are 0 ≤ z ≤ 1-rcosθ. The limits for θ and r are not provided, but the method used to find them would depend on the desired outcome, such as finding the volume. The use of cylindrical coordinates is not mandatory and other methods can be used depending on the ease of the problem. In this case, using horizontal slices may be the most convenient approach.
J Galt
What are the r and θ limits for the triple integral of y where there's a parabloid cylinder x=y^2 and planes x+z=1 and z=0?

I rearranged x+z=1 to get z=1-x => so 1-rcosθ; 0 ≤ z ≤ 1-rcosθ
but I don't know how to get the limits for θ or r. How do I do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi J Galt! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(are you trying to find the volume … you didn't say?)

Just because there's a cylinder, that doesn't mean you have to use cylindrical coordinates. :rolleyes:

Use whatever method makes it easier! :smile:

In this case, I'd use horizontal (z = constant) slices, 'cos I think that's easiest! :smile:

Related to How Do You Determine the Limits for r and θ in a Cylindrical Coordinate System?

1. What is a cylindrical coordinate system?

A cylindrical coordinate system is a three-dimensional coordinate system used to locate points in space using a combination of cylindrical coordinates, which include a distance from the origin, an angle from a reference point, and a height or vertical position.

2. How is a cylindrical coordinate system different from a Cartesian coordinate system?

A cylindrical coordinate system is different from a Cartesian coordinate system in that it uses a distance, angle, and height to locate a point in space, rather than using three perpendicular axes as in the Cartesian system.

3. What are the advantages of using a cylindrical coordinate system?

One advantage of using a cylindrical coordinate system is that it is well-suited for describing circular or cylindrical shapes, making it useful in fields such as engineering and physics. It also simplifies certain types of calculations, such as finding the volume or surface area of a cylinder.

4. How do you convert between cylindrical and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from cylindrical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, you can use the following equations:
x = r * cos(theta)
y = r * sin(theta)
z = z
Conversely, to convert from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates, you can use the equations:
r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2)
theta = arctan(y/x)
z = z

5. What are some real-life applications of cylindrical coordinate systems?

Cylindrical coordinate systems have many real-life applications, such as in navigation systems, where they are used to locate points on a map using latitude, longitude, and altitude. They are also used in computer graphics to represent and manipulate three-dimensional objects, and in physics to describe the motion of objects in circular or cylindrical paths.