Radial oscillations of a star

In summary, the person is trying to find an equation that describes the thermal energy in a system, but they are confused about what ##\xi_r## is. They apply ##\partial/\partial t## and ##\partial/\partial r## to their equations and then eliminate terms involving ##\partial^2 p / \partial r \partial t##. They substitute for ##u = i\omega \xi_r e^{i \omega t}## and keep only terms linear in ##\xi_r##. After some manipulation, they find that ##(\xi_r p')' + (\gamma p(r^2 \xi_r)')' + \rho
ergospherical
Homework Statement
The spherically symmetric oscillations of a star satisfy the Sturm-Liouville equation\begin{align*}
\frac{d}{dr} \left[ \frac{\gamma p}{r^2} \frac{d}{dr}(r^2 \xi_r) \right] - \frac{4}{r} \frac{dp}{dr} \xi_r + \rho \omega^2 \xi_r = 0
\end{align*}
Relevant Equations
N/A
So far I have not made much meaningful progress beyond two equations; \begin{align*}
\rho \frac{D\mathbf{u}}{Dt} = - \nabla p \implies \rho \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial t} + u \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \right)u = - \frac{\partial p}{\partial r}
\end{align*}and thermal energy:\begin{align*}
\frac{Dp}{Dt} = -\gamma p \nabla \cdot \mathbf{u} \implies \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial t} + u \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \right)p = -\gamma p \frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r^2 u)
\end{align*}I'm somewhat confused why there's no time dependence in the form given. What exactly is ##\xi_r##?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are dealing with oscillations, and there is an [itex]\omega^2[/itex] in the ODE. That suggests variables are assumed to be functions of [itex]r[/itex] alone times [itex]e^{i\omega t}[/itex]. I suspect [itex]\xi_r[/itex] denotes (small) radial displacement from an equilibrium position, in which case [tex]
u_r = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(\xi_r(r)e^{i\omega t}) = i\omega \xi_r(r) e^{i\omega t}.[/tex] The ODE you are trying to derive is linear and the governing PDEs are not, which suggests that the system has been linearised about the static equiblibrium state.

Likes ergospherical
Thank you. I applied ##\partial/\partial t## to my first equation and ##\partial/\partial r## to my second equation, and subsequently eliminated ##\partial^2 p / \partial r \partial t##. Then I substituted for ##u = i\omega \xi_r e^{i \omega t}## and kept only terms to linear order in ##\xi_r##. After some manipulation,
\begin{align*}
(\xi_r p')' + (\gamma p(r^2 \xi_r)')' + \rho \omega^2 \xi_r = 0
\end{align*}Seems likely that I made at least one slip. I will check again tomorrow with fresher eyes!

ergospherical said:
I will check again tomorrow with fresher eyes!
Have you cleared that with the fresher? :eek:

pbuk said:
Have you cleared that with the fresher? :eek:
That would imply that they have a choice!

What are radial oscillations of a star?

Radial oscillations refer to the periodic expansion and contraction of a star's outer layers, caused by the balance between gravitational forces pulling the star inward and internal pressure pushing outward.

What causes radial oscillations?

The main cause of radial oscillations is the balance between gravity and pressure within a star. As the star's core contracts due to gravity, the outer layers expand due to increased pressure. This expansion causes the outer layers to cool, which decreases the pressure and allows gravity to pull the layers back inward. This cycle repeats, causing the star to oscillate.

How do scientists study radial oscillations of stars?

Scientists study radial oscillations by analyzing the changes in a star's brightness and spectrum over time. This can be done through observations with telescopes or through data collected by satellites, such as NASA's Kepler mission. By studying the patterns and frequencies of these oscillations, scientists can learn more about the internal structure and composition of stars.

What can we learn from studying radial oscillations of stars?

Studying radial oscillations can provide valuable insights into the internal structure and composition of stars. By analyzing the frequencies and patterns of these oscillations, scientists can determine the size, mass, and age of a star, as well as its chemical composition and evolutionary stage. This information can help us better understand the processes that govern the formation and evolution of stars.

Can radial oscillations affect a star's lifespan?

Yes, radial oscillations can affect a star's lifespan. As a star oscillates, it can lose mass through its outer layers, which can impact its overall mass and therefore its lifespan. Additionally, the energy generated by these oscillations can also influence the star's evolution and lifespan. Understanding the nature of radial oscillations is crucial for accurately predicting the lifetimes of stars.