D'Alembert's Reduction of Order Method

In summary, the conversation involved using the reduction of order method to find a second linearly independent solution for a differential equation. The general solution was also discussed, with the attempt at a solution involving making a substitution and finding an integration factor. However, a mistake was made in the substitution, leading to an odd integration factor and the need to correct the error before continuing with the problem.
_N3WTON_

Homework Statement

Use the reduction of order metho to find a second linearly independent solution. What is the general solution of the differential equation?
[itex] y'' - y = 0 [/itex]
[itex] y_1(x) = e^x [/itex]

Homework Equations

Reduction of order formula

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I set:
[itex] y = ve^x [/itex]
[itex] y' = ve^x + e^{x}v' [/itex]
[itex] y'' = ve^x + 2e^{x}v' + e^{x}v'' [/itex]
[itex] (ve^x + 2e^{x}v' + e^{x}v'') - (ve^x) = 0 [/itex]
[itex] 2e^{x}v' + e^{x}v'' = 0 [/itex]
[itex] e^{x}v'' + 2e^{x}v' = 0 [/itex]
[itex] v'' + e^{x}v' = 0 [/itex]
Then I made a substitution:
[itex] w = v' [/itex]
So the equation becomes:
[itex] w' + e^{x}w = 0 [/itex]
At this point, I tried to find an integration factor. However, the integrating factor I obtained is a bit unusual, which leads me to believe that I have made a mistake somewhere. This is the integrating factor I obtained:
[itex] p(x) = e^x [/itex]
[itex] u(x) = e^{\int e^x} = e^{e^x} [/itex]
At this point, due to the odd integrating factor, I am not sure what I have done wrong or how to continue the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
##e^{x}v'' + 2e^{x}v' = 0## does not lead to ##v'' + e^{x}v' = 0## !

I hope this mistake was a total brainfart. If not, you really need to get a handle on basic algebra. It'll make learning this stuff a lot easier when you're not wasting time tracking down avoidable errors like this one.

vela said:
I hope this mistake was a total brainfart. If not, you really need to get a handle on basic algebra. It'll make learning this stuff a lot easier when you're not wasting time tracking down avoidable errors like this one.
It totally was, I promise my algebra is not that bad :p ...anyway thanks you both for the help

1. What is D'Alembert's Reduction of Order Method?

D'Alembert's Reduction of Order Method is a mathematical technique used to solve second-order linear differential equations. It allows us to reduce the order of the equation by finding a second solution once we have already found one solution.

2. When is D'Alembert's Reduction of Order Method used?

This method is used when we have a second-order linear differential equation with known solutions and we want to find a second linearly independent solution. It is especially useful when the equation has variable coefficients that make finding a general solution difficult.

3. How does D'Alembert's Reduction of Order Method work?

The method works by assuming that the second solution has the form of a power series, with undetermined coefficients. These coefficients are then determined by substituting the series into the differential equation and solving for them.

4. What are the advantages of using D'Alembert's Reduction of Order Method?

One advantage of this method is that it allows us to find a second solution without having to solve the entire differential equation again. It also works for a wide range of second-order linear differential equations, making it a versatile tool for solving mathematical problems.

5. Are there any limitations to using D'Alembert's Reduction of Order Method?

One limitation is that the method only works for linear differential equations; it cannot be applied to non-linear equations. Additionally, it may not always be possible to find a second solution using this method, especially for more complex equations with non-constant coefficients.