DAMTP MASt at Cambridge: A Student's Perspective

• Thread starter electroweak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cambridge
In summary, the DAMTP MASt program at Cambridge offers courses in theoretical physics, including topics such as QFT & Strings, Continuum mechanics, and Cosmology. Additionally, there are courses in topology, geometry, and Lie groups for those interested in more mathematical topics. While the program is highly regarded, it is important to note that it is a masters program and students are not funded. Scholarships, such as the Churchill Scholarship, may be available to help cover the costs.
electroweak
Can anyone tell me what they know about the DAMTP MASt program at Cambridge?

I'm presently a fourth year undergraduate at an American university, and I intend to work toward a PhD in Physics from another American school. My plan was to apply to these programs this fall, but recently another option crossed my mind: I could take a year off to study math (and a bit of physics) at Cambridge.

I'm wondering how well the MASt program prepares one for physics research, in particular work on quantum gravity. Does the program offer anything I couldn't get out of selectively auditing math classes at wherever decide I get my PhD?

Any information, anecdotes, etc about DAMTP, MASt, Cambridge related stuff would interest me. Thanks for your input!

Physics news on Phys.org
The DAMTP program does have courses for theoretical physics. You can look up the course catalog online but it includes topics like QFT & Strings, Continuum mechanics, and Cosmology. You can take 17-19 credits for examination, so if you try to take every course from the QFT & Strings category that would probably fill it up. If you're interested in more mathematical topics then there's always courses in topology and geometry, Lie groups and the like.

Anything you can learn at Cambridge you can learn anywhere else. That being said, Part III is famous for a reason and I'm sure it would be a good experience. In terms of QG, they offer a course on strings, but last year it focused on holography and its applications. If you're interested in String Theory, it obviously has a topnotch program. If you're interested in LQG I would recommend Perimeter.

Finally I'd keep in mind that its a masters program and you are not funded. It costs a lot of money (~$40,000 to live and pay tuition/fees). There are scholarships you can apply for. One is the Churchill Scholarship which you might be eligible for.

Related to DAMTP MASt at Cambridge: A Student's Perspective

What is DAMTP MASt at Cambridge?

DAMTP MASt at Cambridge refers to the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics Master of Advanced Studies program at the University of Cambridge. It is a one-year graduate program that focuses on advanced topics in mathematics and theoretical physics.

What are the entry requirements for DAMTP MASt at Cambridge?

The entry requirements for DAMTP MASt at Cambridge include a strong undergraduate degree in mathematics, physics, or a related field. Applicants must also have a good understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. It is recommended to have a first-class or upper second-class degree for a competitive application.

What courses are offered in DAMTP MASt at Cambridge?

DAMTP MASt at Cambridge offers a wide range of courses in various areas of mathematics and theoretical physics, including quantum field theory, general relativity, fluid dynamics, and statistical mechanics. Students can also choose to specialize in a particular area through optional modules and projects.

What is the teaching style like in DAMTP MASt at Cambridge?

The teaching style in DAMTP MASt at Cambridge is highly interactive and research-oriented. Students attend lectures, seminars, and workshops and also work on independent projects and assignments. The program also includes opportunities for students to engage in research with faculty members and participate in conferences and workshops.

What are the career prospects for graduates of DAMTP MASt at Cambridge?

Graduates of DAMTP MASt at Cambridge have a wide range of career prospects in both academia and industry. Many go on to pursue PhDs in mathematics or theoretical physics, while others enter careers in finance, data science, research and development, and other fields that require strong analytical and problem-solving skills. The program also provides a strong foundation for further studies in related fields such as computer science and engineering.