Dark energy and cosmological constant

In summary, the guy from the video says that the cosmological constant is about 10^-26 kilograms per cubic meters, and the website says that the density of dark energy is 6.91x10^-27 kilograms per cubic meters.
yazanhomsi
Hello everyone.
I am having some problem with dark energy and the cosmological constant. The cosmological constant is a proposed form of dark energy. Alright, now the cosmological constant is is estimated by cosmologists to on the order of 10^-26 kilograms per cubic meters. But the density of dark energy calculated from our so far observable universe is 6.91 x 10^-29 kilograms per cubic meters. If cosmological constant is a proposed form of dark energy, shouldn't the density of dark energy be the same as the cosmological constant? Please I need further explanation on this. Thank you!

Space news on Phys.org
Please provide references to where you have obtained those numbers.

There is no theoretical prediction of the value of the cosmological constant. At least, none that makes sense. The only measurement we have on dark energy (or the cosmological constant) currently is the change over time of the rate of expansion. In the models where the cosmological constant is the explanation, it is dark energy, and they take the same value.

, at 4:30 the guy states the cosmological constant.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/astro/dareng.html around the last paragraph the guy states that the dark energy density is 73 percent that of the critical density. Which means the 73 percent of 9.47 x 10^-27 kg/m3 equals 6.9131x10^-27 kg/m3

Chalnoth said:
There is no theoretical prediction of the value of the cosmological constant. At least, none that makes sense. The only measurement we have on dark energy (or the cosmological constant) currently is the change over time of the rate of expansion. In the models where the cosmological constant is the explanation, it is dark energy, and they take the same value.

But if they take the same value, which means the densities of the cosmological constant and dark energy are the same. How come they have come up with different densities for both, like even if these calculations aren't correct but it should show that there is something missing?

yazanhomsi said:
But if they take the same value, which means the densities of the cosmological constant and dark energy are the same. How come they have come up with different densities for both, like even if these calculations aren't correct but it should show that there is something missing?
I have not looked at it because my current connection does not allow it, but you need to put far less faith in what you see on YouTube.

yazanhomsi said:
Orodruin said:
I have not looked at it because my current connection does not allow it, but you need to put far less faith in what you see on YouTube.
Have you checked the website? It has a similar explanation somehow..

When you refer to "the guy" from the video, you mean Ed Copeland, a well-respected physicist at the University of Nottingham. Copeland, at about 4:35 in the video say "is about ##10^-29## grams per centimetre cubed". The "about" means that Copeland is giving an order of magnitude estimate, and

$$10^{-29}\frac{g}{cm^3} = 10^{-29}\frac{10^{-3}kg}{\left(10^{-2}m\right)^3} = 10^{-26}\frac{kg}{m^3,}$$

which (to an order of magnitude), agrees with the website.

Likes yazanhomsi
George Jones said:
When you refer to "the guy" from the video, you mean Ed Copeland, a well-respected physicist at the University of Nottingham. Copeland, at about 4:35 in the video say "is about ##10^-29## grams per centimetre cubed". The "about" means that Copeland is giving an order of magnitude estimate, and

$$10^{-29}\frac{g}{cm^3} = 10^{-29}\frac{10^{-3}kg}{\left(10^{-2}m\right)^3} = 10^{-26}\frac{kg}{m^3,}$$

which (to an order of magnitude), agrees with the website.
Wait but the density of dark energy is 6.91 x 10 ^ -27. It is still isn't an order of magnitude of 10^-26.

The video says " about 10^-26". The website says "6.91x10^-27". And you think think that these two references contradict each other?

To an order of magittude 6.91 is the same as 10, and 10x10^-27 = 10^-26.

Another way to look at this is to solved for ##x## in

$$6.91 \times 10^{-27} = 10^x$$

Likes yazanhomsi
George Jones said:
The video says " about 10^-26". The website says "6.91x10^-27". And you think think that these two references contradict each other?

To an order of magittude 6.91 is the same as 10, and 10x10^-27 = 10^-26.

Another way to look at this is to solved for ##x## in

$$6.91 \times 10^{-27} = 10^x$$
Alright I got it. Thanks a lot you were the only one able to understand my question. Sorry for showing any form of naiveness.

yazanhomsi said:
10^-26 kilograms per cubic meters.
George Jones said:
Copeland, at about 4:35 in the video say "is about ##10^-29## grams per centimetre cubed".

(My emphasis)
I think the most important lesson of this thread is this one. In physics it is very important to get the units right. This is an insight that will serve you well in all areas of physics.

Likes yazanhomsi

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a theoretical form of energy that is thought to make up about 70% of the total energy of the universe. It is believed to be responsible for the observed expansion of the universe.

2. How is dark energy related to the cosmological constant?

The cosmological constant is a term in Einstein's theory of general relativity that describes the energy of empty space. Dark energy is often referred to as the modern interpretation of the cosmological constant, as it also describes the energy of empty space and its effect on the expansion of the universe.

3. What evidence do we have for the existence of dark energy?

The primary evidence for the existence of dark energy comes from observations of the expansion of the universe. Scientists have observed that the expansion of the universe is accelerating, which can only be explained by the presence of a repulsive force, such as dark energy.

4. How does dark energy differ from dark matter?

Dark energy and dark matter are two separate and distinct components of the universe. While dark energy is thought to be a repulsive force responsible for the expansion of the universe, dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light and is thought to make up about 25% of the total energy of the universe.

5. Is dark energy the same as anti-gravity?

No, dark energy is not the same as anti-gravity. While anti-gravity is a hypothetical force that would cause objects to repel each other, dark energy is a type of energy that is thought to have a repulsive effect on the expansion of the universe. Dark energy does not directly affect the gravitational pull between objects.