Dark energy density increasing

In summary, according to the authors, the density of dark energy was increasing at early times, leveling off later on, and there might be something going on related to the discrepancy in measurements of ##H_0##.
Ranku
TL;DR Summary
Dark energy density w < -1.3 at Z > 1.5
Recent observations report w < -1.3 for z > 1.5. What was the dark energy density compared to matter density during that time? Was the universe briefly accelerating?

Space news on Phys.org
At the time, the expansion of the universe was a decelerating expansion. The acceleration phase didn't start until later.

What this is saying is that according to their model, the density of dark energy seems to have increased at early times and then leveled out.

My guess is that there's something wrong with their model. My reasoning is as follows:
1) The dark energy density was much smaller before ##z=1.5## as a fraction of the total density compared to its value today. By my estimate, the dark energy density at ##z=1.5## would have been approximately 15% of the total energy density. At the start of the range, ##z=7.5##, the dark energy density would have been around 0.5% of the total.
2) Because the density of dark energy was much smaller as a percent of the total, a small misunderstanding of matter, which has by far the largest contribution to the expansion, would show up as a variation of dark energy instead.

There might be something interesting going on here, such as an interaction between matter and dark energy. But it might also just be a small systematic effect for early quasars. Or non-zero spatial curvature.

Whatever is going on here, though, it's probably related to the discrepancy in measurements of ##H_0## between the CMB and nearby observations.

Last edited:
Likes PeterDonis
My impression of this picture (I may be wrong) is that dark matter and baryonic matter both decrease in density as the universe expands. On the other hand dark energy density remains constant, so that its relative density is increasing.

kimbyd said:
Because the density of dark matter was much smaller
As compared to?

Ranku said:
As compared to?
Sorry, that was a misstatement. I've fixed it. Should be dark energy was much smaller as a fraction of total energy.

Thanks for answering.

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is believed to make up about 70% of the universe. It is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

2. How is dark energy density increasing?

The exact mechanism of how dark energy density is increasing is still unknown. However, it is believed that as the universe expands, the amount of dark energy per unit of space also increases.

3. What evidence supports the idea of dark energy density increasing?

One of the main pieces of evidence for dark energy density increasing is the observation that the expansion of the universe is accelerating. This was first discovered in the late 1990s and has been confirmed by multiple studies since then.

4. Is dark energy density increasing at a constant rate?

Current theories suggest that dark energy density is increasing at a constant rate. However, more research is needed to fully understand the behavior of dark energy and its effects on the expansion of the universe.

5. What are the implications of dark energy density increasing?

The increasing density of dark energy has significant implications for the future of the universe. It is believed that eventually, dark energy will become the dominant force in the universe, causing all matter and energy to be pulled apart, resulting in a "Big Rip" scenario.