Dark matter and energy creation

In summary, space does not work like you've written above. The expansion of space is better described as "the distance between unbound objects increases over time". Space (and by extension, spacetime) is a framework, not an entity that can move around or accelerate. The only dynamic feature of space is the change in geometry over time, which cannot be described in terms of motion. Our measurements of space and its underlying geometry are actually measurements of objects or disturbances within space. The expansion of space is better understood as an increase in distance between unbound objects, rather than "space itself" expanding. However, the expansion and acceleration are dependent on the underlying geometry of space. These topics are complex and counter-intuitive, and it's important to
John M
If space is expanding and at the same time speeding up, something must be driving it. It also appears to be self perpetuating, as something cannot continue to expand, speed up and backfill at the same time? Could the driving force be dark matter/energy?

Space news on Phys.org
Hi John. I see you've made several threads asking questions regarding fundamental concepts of cosmology and astrophysics (which I had to remove for being too speculative, unfortunately). It's important to understand that these topics are very complex and that everything you've likely read up to now has been an extreme simplification that loses almost all real meaning. These concepts are also very counter-intuitive for most people. Therefore it is important to take things slow. Slower than you might like.

For starters, attempting to link several different things together to develop a new explanation is a task best left to the professionals in the field. They're the ones that have the skills, time, and motivation to do things like solve the differential geometric equations required to truly understand how our current theory of gravity (General Relativity) works, let alone develop new math and physics that a new theory would require.

Case-in-point, space does not work like you've written above. The expansion of space is better described this way: "The distance between unbound objects increases over time."

Notice that I did not even use the word "space" there. This is because space (and by extension, spacetime) is better thought of as a framework, not as an entity or object that can move around, accelerate, and do similar things. The only truly dynamic feature of space is that the geometry of space can change over time. This change in geometry cannot be described in terms of motion, as it is not motion, but geometry.

In real life, geometry itself is inherently bound to measurable and observable objects, as all of our measurements of space and its underlying geometry are actually measurements of objects or disturbances within space. Hence my earlier explanation that the expansion of space is better described as an increase in distance between unbound objects instead. It is these objects which are expanding away from each other, not "space itself". Though the expansion and its associated acceleration is dependent, at least in part, on the underlying geometry of space.

I'm sure most of that makes very little sense right now, so if you have any questions please feel free to ask. In the meantime, feel free to look through the following links. I hope they prove useful:

https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/grnotes/ (a huge amount of excellent information, but also quite advanced)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_general_relativity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambda-CDM_model

Likes stoomart, berkeman and Dale
Drakkith said:
Hi John. I see you've made several threads asking questions regarding fundamental concepts of cosmology and astrophysics (which I had to remove for being too speculative, unfortunately). It's important to understand that these topics are very complex and that everything you've likely read up to now has been an extreme simplification that loses almost all real meaning. These concepts are also very counter-intuitive for most people. Therefore it is important to take things slow. Slower than you might like.

For starters, attempting to link several different things together to develop a new explanation is a task best left to the professionals in the field. They're the ones that have the skills, time, and motivation to do things like solve the differential geometric equations required to truly understand how our current theory of gravity (General Relativity) works, let alone develop new math and physics that a new theory would require.

Case-in-point, space does not work like you've written above. The expansion of space is better described this way: "The distance between unbound objects increases over time."

Notice that I did not even use the word "space" there. This is because space (and by extension, spacetime) is better thought of as a framework, not as an entity or object that can move around, accelerate, and do similar things. The only truly dynamic feature of space is that the geometry of space can change over time. This change in geometry cannot be described in terms of motion, as it is not motion, but geometry.

In real life, geometry itself is inherently bound to measurable and observable objects, as all of our measurements of space and its underlying geometry are actually measurements of objects or disturbances within space. Hence my earlier explanation that the expansion of space is better described as an increase in distance between unbound objects instead. It is these objects which are expanding away from each other, not "space itself". Though the expansion and its associated acceleration is dependent, at least in part, on the underlying geometry of space.

I'm sure most of that makes very little sense right now, so if you have any questions please feel free to ask. In the meantime, feel free to look through the following links. I hope they prove useful:

https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/grnotes/ (a huge amount of excellent information, but also quite advanced)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_general_relativity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambda-CDM_model
Hi Drakkith

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to explain, in part at least, the answer to one of my questions.
I am an un-academic of a vintage 61 years, who just has a keen interest in Physics and reading recently has lead me to these questions.
Just so that I am clear on what it is that you are explaining (and in layman's terms), if we imagine the universe as being a balloon filled with all of the particles that go to make a universe, the outer skin is not expanding but the contents are? Is this correct or is this another oversimplification (or could it be this simple and we are overcomplicating it?)
I will read the content contained within your links by the way, so thank you for those as well.

John M said:
ust so that I am clear on what it is that you are explaining (and in layman's terms), if we imagine the universe as being a balloon filled with all of the particles that go to make a universe, the outer skin is not expanding but the contents are? Is this correct or is this another oversimplification (or could it be this simple and we are overcomplicating it?)
In the balloon analogy, one imagines the universe being the skin of the balloon and its contents being specks of paint (for instance) spattered onto it. The analogy helps to understand two things:

1. The specks of paint get farther apart with time as the balloon/universe expands. But none of the specks are "moving" with respect to the rubber. This illustrates the distinction that can be drawn between a velocity and a "separation rate".

2. There is no center on the surface of the balloon. All specks of paint see the same situation with all the other specks moving away. All have an equally good claim to be at the "center of the universe".

The balloon analogy is not perfect. The surface of the balloon only has two dimensions of space. The universe as we know it has three. The balloon is a closed geometrical shape -- finite, but with no edge. The universe is, as far as we know, infinite with no edge and no wrap around.

The interior of the balloon (the air) is irrelevant to the analogy. It should be ignored. It is not part of the toy universe being modeled.

[The raisin bread analogy does three dimensions of space and one of time]

John M said:
Just so that I am clear on what it is that you are explaining (and in layman's terms), if we imagine the universe as being a balloon filled with all of the particles that go to make a universe, the outer skin is not expanding but the contents are? Is this correct or is this another oversimplification (or could it be this simple and we are overcomplicating it?)

No, the skin is expanding as well. But the balloon analogy is exactly that. An analogy. The balloon and its skin must expand because that's how balloons work. But space is not a balloon. The analogy helps people understand how galaxies move away from each other, but it's just an analogy and cannot describe certain things accurately.

@JohnM I recommend the link in my signature

1. What is dark matter and energy?

Dark matter and energy are two of the biggest mysteries in modern physics. Dark matter is a hypothetical type of matter that cannot be seen or detected by traditional telescopes, but is thought to make up a large portion of the universe's mass. Dark energy is also a hypothetical form of energy that is thought to be responsible for the expansion of the universe.

2. How is dark matter and energy created?

The exact process of how dark matter and energy are created is still unknown. Some scientists believe that dark matter may have been created during the Big Bang, while others suggest that it may be continuously created through the decay of other particles. As for dark energy, it is thought to have always existed and may be the result of the vacuum of space.

3. How do we study dark matter and energy?

Since dark matter and energy cannot be directly observed, scientists study them through their effects on other objects. For example, the gravitational pull of dark matter can be detected by observing the motion of stars and galaxies. Dark energy can also be studied through its impact on the expansion of the universe.

4. Can dark matter and energy be destroyed?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that dark matter and energy can be destroyed. In fact, they are thought to be some of the most stable and long-lasting components of the universe. However, as our understanding of these concepts is still limited, it is possible that future discoveries may reveal ways to manipulate or destroy them.

5. What are the implications of understanding dark matter and energy?

Understanding dark matter and energy is crucial for our understanding of the universe and its evolution. It can also have practical applications, such as helping us develop new technologies or discovering new forms of matter. Additionally, understanding these concepts can lead to a better understanding of fundamental physics principles and could potentially lead to groundbreaking discoveries in the future.