Dave's Gourmet Insanity Sauce Challenge

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Challenge
In summary: It was not a pleasant experience.In summary, a father shares his experience of trying a hot sauce called Dave's gourmet insanity sauce that his daughter found on the Internet. It rates 500,000 on the scoville scale and she wanted him to taste it. As he ate it, her jaw dropped, expecting a violent reaction. However, the father found it to be less hot than he expected and has tasted hotter chili before. The daughter also tried a tiny spot and nearly had a bad reaction. The conversation then shifts to discussing the hottest sauces and peppers, with one person mentioning a pepper that rates 1 million on the scoville scale. It is mentioned that the perception of spiciness varies from person to
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
My daughter found this sauce on the Internet, it is Dave's gourmet insanity sauce, it rates 500,000 on the scoville scale, she wanted me to taste it so i spread some on a slice of cheese, as i ate it her jaw dropped, i think she was expecting a violent reaction,
the truth is i am sure i have tasted hotter chili than this.
She tryed a tiny spot and nearly died.

Is this hot??

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
My daughter found this sauce on the Internet, it is Dave's gourmet insanity sauce, it rates 500,000 on the scoville scale, she wanted me to taste it so i spread some on a slice of cheese, as i ate it her jaw dropped, i think she was expecting a violent reaction,
the truth is i am sure i have tasted hotter chili than this.
She tryed a tiny spot and nearly died.

Is this hot??
Yeah, I'd say that is hot. :bugeye:

Yeah, that's hot - probably on a par with my home-made habanero relish, which are the smaller jars in the picture here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=187471

I'll put at least a full teaspoon of it (the real spoons, not the measuring kind) on any sandwich, hot dog, cheeseburger, etc, and it's the primary heat in my home-made pizza sauce.

My salsas (larger jars) are much milder. My neighbor likes to take my salsa to work to put on his sandwiches, and he delights in sharing it with co-workers just to watch their reactions when they take their first bite. They're probably expecting some watered-down salsa, like Newman's Own, Green Mountain or Pace, or maybe something just a bit more spicy. Wrong.

I think there is one sauce hotter, about a million on the same scale have you tryed that?

The perception of spicyness depends on the person tasting it, some people will have less receptors for certain peppers and thus find them less spicy. The Scoville scale is done by diluting an extract until a tasting panel cannot detect the spicyness anymore, so this is not an absolute scale.

Monique said:
The perception of spicyness depends on the person tasting it, some people will have less receptors for certain peppers and thus find them less spicy. The Scoville scale is done by diluting an extract until a tasting panel cannot detect the spicyness anymore, so this is not an absolute scale.

Although i do not get the taste if take a deep breath via mouth i would choke.

Monique said:
That's very interesting, thanks Monique, I was not aware of how they tested it.

No, I have not tried any million-Scoville-unit peppers or sauces made from them. My habanero relishes are just fine, thank you, and if I want more heat, I put more on the food. My neighbor loves this stuff, too, and I am keeping him supplied with salsa and some chili relish because he has supplied us with all our fresh garlic this summer, and is saving enough cloves for us to put in a large garlic bed of our own this winter. All of our pickles, salsas, and chili relishes feature his great German and Russian garlic.

Here is a picture of the salsa I'm making today. It's made with green tomatoes, onions, bell pepper, and herbs. Heat is supplied by a handful of habaneros, about a dozen super chilies, and a half-dozen jalapenos. I just put in all the chilies and will let it simmer for an hour or so before canning the salsa. My small cupboard (in the photo contest) is full, the much larger cupboard under the counter is full, and there are more jars of salsa stashed in our floor-to-ceiling pantry and in another cupboard. This batch may have to go on shelving in the cellar. :tongue2:

greentomatosalsa.jpg

Monique has the Scovilles correct - what is called organoleptic testing ):
-- 'cause it sounds more like Science, I guess. The Gillett chromatographic method is often used because it doesn't use up tastees' taste buds.

Capsaicin in a pure state rates about 15 million SHU's (Scoville units)
Dihydrocapsaicin ~16 M SHU
Homocapsaicin ~8.1 M SHU
Homodihydrocapsaicin ~8.1 M SHU
Norhydrocapsiacin about 9 million SHU

-- I think those are the primary 'hot' ingredients Monique was talking about.

FWIW - a grad student was harvesting some chiles, and opening them with her bare hands - circa 1965. She was from a part of China where hot peppers were common and thought nothing of it. Except the peppers in the experiments were about 500,000 SHU.
She wound up in hospital. Even though I'm from New Mexico and eat Santo Domingo Pueblo chiles (hot variety dating supposedly from the 1600's) I avoid that super hot nonsense. You can get intestinal inflammation for all your bravado. Talk about 'hot sh&&&t'

Yeah, our habaneros are super-hot, so instead of cutting them by hand, I chop them in a food processor. I'll split and de-seed jalapenos and super chilies by hand, but not the habaneros. It can take days for the burning to stop. I made the mistake of using my thumbnail to pry off the stems and caps of some habaneros that I processed from our first crop a couple of years ago. That was a good lesson. Another time, I cut habaneros in half after pulling off the stems, and used my bare hands to feed them into the food processor for cutting. Another lesson about chili juice.

That looks yummy turbo, but too hot for me, I'm afraid.

I learned my lesson about cutting hot peppers a few years ago, got some of it in a cut. I've also been dumb enough to get it into my nose and eyes.

jim, this student had to go to hospital just because she touched the peppers?

turbo-1 said:
Yeah, our habaneros are super-hot, so instead of cutting them by hand, I chop them in a food processor. I'll split and de-seed jalapenos and super chilies by hand, but not the habaneros. It can take days for the burning to stop. I made the mistake of using my thumbnail to pry off the stems and caps of some habaneros that I processed from our first crop a couple of years ago. That was a good lesson. Another time, I cut habaneros in half after pulling off the stems, and used my bare hands to feed them into the food processor for cutting. Another lesson about chili juice.

I have done some dumb things with chili too, the effect is like a million times worse than eating it.

wolram said:
I have done some dumb things with chili too, the effect is like a million times worse than eating it.
Yes! The time I fed split habaneros to the food processor, I used my left hand to scoop up those juicy chilies and opened the lid, ran the processor, etc with my right. When the burning got going real good, all I could think of was the Sisterhood's nerve induction pain-box from Dune. Let's hope the PF sisterhood never gets one of those.:uhh: My left hand was in pain for days - especially those tender spots like the skin between the fingers.

If you make a pepper-sauce, how long do you need to boil it for it stay good? I'd like to make a pepper sauce of oil with peppers, garlic and pieces of tomato, roughly processed.

Monique said:
If you make a pepper-sauce, how long do you need to boil it for it stay good? I'd like to make a pepper sauce of oil with peppers, garlic and pieces of tomato, roughly processed.
You may have to find a canning recipe for such a sauce, because if the acidity is low, the processing times are often greatly extended. For instance, I seal my salsa in sterilized jars, with sterilized dome lids and rings, then put the filled jars back in the boiling-water bath with the lids covered with boiling water, and process them for 15 minutes. A low-acidity sauce might require much longer processing, like 45-60 minutes. You'll have to find a recipe that appeals to you, and see if there are canning instructions, so you can preserve the sauce. If you want to make small batches of sauce, you can pack it in clean jars, and store them in your freezer and/or refrigerator until needed. I prefer to use cold-pack methods on low-acidity foods, to minimize the chance of spoilage and to minimize the chance that some anaerobic bug like Listeria could get a foothold in my food. :yuck:

I grow habaneros on my balcony, in pots, and I regularly chop them up by hand. I've gotten the juice and pulp and everything all over my fingers, and never had a problem with it burning. I've read on the internet about it burning people's skin, but I've never seen it happen myself. Am I just weird? Or what's up with that?

NeoDevin said:
I grow habaneros on my balcony, in pots, and I regularly chop them up by hand. I've gotten the juice and pulp and everything all over my fingers, and never had a problem with it burning. I've read on the internet about it burning people's skin, but I've never seen it happen myself. Am I just weird? Or what's up with that?
Habaneros vary quite a bit in potency. Some (like the ones in the local supermarkets here) seem not much hotter than jalapenos, which I de-seed and de-vein with my fingers when preparing poppers for those who can't take a lot of heat. No problem with that, but we select our habanero species for heat, and they are very potent, especially if the growing season has been favorable.

I know, these ones are significantly hotter than any jalapeno I've ever tried, and at least as hot as any other habanero I've tried. But I guess I can't test them to see exactly...

I'm going to order some of those 1 mil SU peppers...

Guess I'll just have to wait for the new peppers, and I'll see then. Probably won't actually order them until I've moved into a house where I can have a proper garden.

I was showing a male friend how to prepare hot peppers for freezing, when he excused himself to use the bathroom. I told him, Be VERY sure to wash your hands. The scream a few momunts latter, let me know he didnt. He thought I had ment after. A lesson one seldom needs to learn twice.

That's one I've never tried to test.

hypatia said:
I was showing a male friend how to prepare hot peppers for freezing, when he excused himself to use the bathroom. I told him, Be VERY sure to wash your hands. The scream a few momunts latter, let me know he didnt. He thought I had ment after. A lesson one seldom needs to learn twice.
Never managed to fall into that one! I have forgotten myself and brushed my hair out of my eyes without thinking, though. That'll wake you up.

NeoDevin said:
I know, these ones are significantly hotter than any jalapeno I've ever tried, and at least as hot as any other habanero I've tried. But I guess I can't test them to see exactly...

I'm going to order some of those 1 mil SU peppers...

Guess I'll just have to wait for the new peppers, and I'll see then. Probably won't actually order them until I've moved into a house where I can have a proper garden.
If you look at Scoville units, I think good jalapenos run maybe 8000, the super chilies I grow are supposed to be 30,000, and the habaneros are at least 300,000. I can usually eat store-bought habaneros raw - but not the ones from my garden. The burn is a bit delayed, but intense. Our jalapenos are very flavorful, especially raw, and the super chilies are tasty, and a lot snappier. The habaneros should come with hazard labels. They are so good roasted, though I try to save them for chili relish and allow them to ripen as much as possible.

hypatia said:

:rofl: Though, I've washed my hands pretty thoroughly with dishwashing detergent and still somehow had enough residue to really burn when I rubbed my eyes later.

Strangely enough, when preparing jalapenos, it will really burn my fingers (and eyes), but not my mouth when I eat it (they were a spicy batch, but nothing overly so). Not sure why my fingers are so much more sensitive, unless they were just a bit dry and chapped at the time and I didn't pay much attention.

wolram said:
jim, this student had to go to hospital just because she touched the peppers?

She probably touched other parts of her body that are far more sensitive than the hands themselves. Like eyes, lips, private areas.

I have a small bottle of pure hot pepper extract rated at 1,000,000 SHU, I bought it thinking I was going to use it in hot sauces, but I found no practical use for it to date.

Jim

I like Dave's sauces and I have several of the Insanity and Private Reserve. I started collecting them years ago after tasting Dave's After Death hot sauce. I chef in St. Louis sent me a bottle from his private stock after I said what he had on the table was not hot enough. He said he did not serve it to customers for liability reasons.

I have found that 1,000,000 SHU is not particularly hot.

I not sure if the ratings are consistent. I have has supposedly mild stuff that seemed hotter than stuff rated above 1,000,000.

I'm going to have to try Blairs hot sauces. I had their Megadeath and it was not too hot.

I thought that Mad Dog inferno (350-370 K) was hotter than Satan's Blood (800 K), but that may be because I took the top portion of MD without mixing it with the liquid.

I just need to increase my collection and do a taste test.

turbo-1 said:
If you look at Scoville units, I think good jalapenos run maybe 8000, the super chilies I grow are supposed to be 30,000, and the habaneros are at least 300,000. I can usually eat store-bought habaneros raw - but not the ones from my garden. The burn is a bit delayed, but intense. Our jalapenos are very flavorful, especially raw, and the super chilies are tasty, and a lot snappier. The habaneros should come with hazard labels. They are so good roasted, though I try to save them for chili relish and allow them to ripen as much as possible.

I've heard that there are two kinds of habaneros. One is bright orange/red, a bit like a Scotch Bonnet & isn't nearly as hot, & there's a darker orange/brown one which is more like 400k-500k SCUs.

fourier jr said:
I've heard that there are two kinds of habaneros. One is bright orange/red, a bit like a Scotch Bonnet & isn't nearly as hot, & there's a darker orange/brown one which is more like 400k-500k SCUs.
Yep. We don't have the Scotch bonnets here, and the the pointy-tipped dark habaneros are pretty fiesty.

fourier jr said:

Actually, I'm starting up a pepper garden and searched for hours for hot peppers. I went online and found a type of habanero called Savannah Red Habaneros. Rated at minimum of 545k SCUs.

That 1 Mill SCU sauce was probably not made from peppers, but made with deluded capcaisin. Capcaisin rates 7 Mill-11 Mill SCU. And they even sell it on the internet!

Math Jeans said:
Actually, I'm starting up a pepper garden and searched for hours for hot peppers. I went online and found a type of habanero called Savannah Red Habaneros. Rated at minimum of 545k SCUs.

That 1 Mill SCU sauce was probably not made from peppers, but made with deluded capcaisin. Capcaisin rates 7 Mill-11 Mill SCU. And they even sell it on the internet!

yeah iirc the hottest chiles grown naturally are those dark-coloured habeneros which are about 500k SCUs. that east-indian naga jolokia pepper mentioned earlier which is about 1000k SCUs is a cultivated variety.

edit: lol for comparison, pepper sprays are about 2000-5300k SCUs :bugeye:

Last edited:
fourier jr said:
lol for comparison, pepper sprays are about 2000-5300k SCUs :bugeye:

The active ingrediant in pepper sprays is deluded capsaicin. That stuff is serious heat. When people taste capsaicin, they dip a needle and lick the very tip of it, and that is very spicy for even some of the most resistant hot sauce lovers. The naga pepper (which is around 1 Mill SCU) is not even on the market unless you go to some individual website from a weird foreign seller. But I think that pepper-wise, Savannah Reds are quite the punch.

Spicy chili smell leads to evacuation

Authorities sealed off several premises and closed roads. The Times of London described shoppers coughing and spluttering as firefighters wearing special breathing masks sought the source of the smell.

The paper said firefighters smashed down the door of the Thai Cottage restaurant and seized extra-hot bird's eye chilies which had been left dry-frying. It said they were being prepared as part of a batch of Nam Prik Pao, a spicy Thai dip.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071003/ap_on_fe_st/britain_spicy_chili

Last edited by a moderator:
Spicy chili smell leads to evacuation By RAPHAEL G. SATTER, Associated Press Writer
50 minutes ago

LONDON - Super spicy chili sauce being cooked at a London Thai restaurant sparked road closures and evacuations after passers-by complained that the smell was burning their throats, police said Wednesday.

London Fire Brigade's chemical response team was called after reports that a strong smell was wafting from the restaurant in the heart of London's Soho district Monday afternoon, a Metropolitan police spokesman said, speaking anonymously in line with force policy.

Authorities sealed off several premises and closed roads. The Times of London described shoppers coughing and spluttering as firefighters wearing special breathing masks sought the source of the smell.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071003/ap_on_fe_st/britain_spicy_chili

:rofl:
I've had those birds-eye chilis before; they aren't so bad. I bet that dip was tasty.:approve:

Last edited by a moderator: