Is the Daytona 500 Winning Margin Calculation Accurate?

• Thread starter thetexan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Margin
In summary, the article reports that Denny Hamlin nudged Martin Truex by .011 of a second, and this would have resulted in a speed of 61.983 mph if the winning distance was 12 inches. However, this is not correct as the speed ranged from about 187 to 197 with 195 being about average.
thetexan
Am I crazy (don't answer that) or what? Every article I read about the Daytona 500 race shows that Denny Hamlin nudged Martin Truex by .011 of an second. According to my calculation if you use 12 inches as the winning distance (could be 8 or 9) that would make their speed at the finish 61.983 mph??! That clearly is not correct. The speed ranged from about 187 to 197 with 195 about average.

Based on 195 at the finish line (they were floor boarded at that point) according to my calculations that would make the margin .00349 of a second! A distance of 8 or 9 inches would make the time interval even shorter.

Am I missing something here?

tex

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought I read (can't recall where) that the distance between them was 4 inches!

thetexan said:
Am I crazy (don't answer that) or what? Every article I read about the Daytona 500 race shows that Denny Hamlin nudged Martin Truex by .011 of an second. According to my calculation if you use 12 inches as the winning distance (could be 8 or 9) that would make their speed at the finish 61.983 mph??! That clearly is not correct. The speed ranged from about 187 to 197 with 195 about average.

Based on 195 at the finish line (they were floor boarded at that point) according to my calculations that would make the margin .00349 of a second! A distance of 8 or 9 inches would make the time interval even shorter.

Am I missing something here?

tex
Reference link?

It was reported as .0010 or .0011 second, and less than 6 inches. At around 195 mph, that would be about 3.78 inches. The photos seem to show a bigger lead than that, although the location of the splitter versus windshield versus tires could be different on the two body profiles.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/vc1mcxo9qlpzyrablggr.jpg
vc1mcxo9qlpzyrablggr.jpg

It looks to me that the distance is about 8-12 inches. Hamlin's car is at the checker edge of the yellow strip which looks to be about 4-5 inches wide. Truex's car looks to be about 10 inches from the car edge of the yellow stripe. So that makes the distance about 12-14 inches approximately. Based on several other angles of the photo finish that 12-14 seems good. In any case we're talking thousanths of seconds not hundredths.

tex

What is the average margin of victory at the Daytona 500?

The average margin of victory at the Daytona 500 is approximately 0.207 seconds. This means that the winner typically finishes less than a quarter of a second ahead of the second-place finisher.

What is the closest margin of victory in Daytona 500 history?

The closest margin of victory in Daytona 500 history was in 2016 when Denny Hamlin beat Martin Truex Jr. by 0.010 seconds. This is the second-closest finish in NASCAR Cup Series history.

Has there ever been a tie for the winning margin at the Daytona 500?

No, there has never been a tie for the winning margin at the Daytona 500. In the event of a tie, the winner is determined by the position of the cars at the last scoring loop before the caution flag was waved.

How does the winning margin at the Daytona 500 compare to other NASCAR races?

The winning margin at the Daytona 500 is typically much closer than other NASCAR races. This is due to the restrictor plate used at Daytona, which limits the speed of the cars and allows for closer racing and tighter finishes.

What factors can affect the winning margin at the Daytona 500?

Some factors that can affect the winning margin at the Daytona 500 include drafting, pit strategy, and the use of the restrictor plate. The weather and track conditions can also play a role in the outcome of the race and the margin of victory.