DC Brushless Motor Rotor Steps: 4 Poles North/South?

In summary, the conversation discusses a 3-phase DC brushless motor from a hard disk drive and the number of poles it has. The motor is similar to a unipolar stepper motor and has 3 wires and one common, indicating a brushless DC motor Y connection. It is also mentioned that the motor has 4 poles, with permanent magnets facing inwards and north poles facing outwards. The functionality and construction of the motor is discussed and there is some uncertainty about its accuracy.
anita1984
Hello Forum,
I have a 3 phases DC brushless motor from a Hard Disk Drive, when energize one coil and turning by hand the rotor i can feel 4 steps per rotation, is this means that this motor has 4 poles of north and south?
Thank you in advance,
Anita

Engineering news on Phys.org
I saw a similar motor in a hard drive.

I couldn't open it but I think it was as in the attached diagram.

If you activated coil 3 it would attract the N pole to the left of it and the disk would rotate counterclockwise. Then activate coil 2 then coil 1. Then activate coil 3 again to attract the next North pole.

I made a switching circuit for it and got it rotating but it was a bit jerky at slow speeds.

Maybe your motor is similar.

Attachments

• HD motor.PNG
    HD motor.PNG
    1.4 KB · Views: 434
There are two basic types of BLDC (brushless dc motors). One type has a HALL EFFECT sensor that can be used for commutating the dc voltages. The other type uses the induced back emf to commutate the dc voltages. How many wires/terminals come out (not counting ground)? Do you think the coil inputs are wired as a delta or wye (use resistance meas)?
Bob S

The one I played with was part of the mechanism that rotated the hard drive platter.

It was DC and brushless, but actually a 3 coil unipolar stepper motor used to rotate the platter at a high but constant speed.

hello , it has 3 wires and one common , it's a brushless DC motor Y connected. the questions is how i can know the number of poles ? in this way i can know : when energize one coil and turning by hand the rotor i can feel 4 steps per rotation, is this means that this motor has 2 poles of north and 2 poles of south?

Was it part of the turning mechanism for the part of the hard drive that has the data on it?
This is a shiny grey disk. Mine actually had two disks one above the other.

I think mine also had 4 poles and they would be permanent magnets with all their south poles all facing inwards and unused but the north poles facing outwards and being attracted to the 3 coils as they were turned on in order.

It had some screws holding it together but I didn't have anything that would fit the head of the screws to take the mechanism apart.

It seemed to work as in the above diagram, but I wasn't too sure about it. It worked if I fed it like that, so I guess it was close enough. Yet, I am surprised they would have strong magnets so close to the hard drive data.

1. What is a DC brushless motor rotor with 4 poles North/South?

A DC brushless motor rotor with 4 poles North/South refers to the number and arrangement of the magnetic poles on the rotor of a motor. In this case, there are two pairs of North and South poles, making a total of 4 poles on the rotor.

2. How does a DC brushless motor rotor with 4 poles North/South work?

A DC brushless motor rotor with 4 poles North/South works by using the interaction between the permanent magnets on the rotor and the electromagnets on the stator to create rotational motion. The electromagnets on the stator are energized in a specific sequence, causing the permanent magnets on the rotor to align with them and rotate.

3. What are the advantages of a DC brushless motor rotor with 4 poles North/South?

One advantage of a DC brushless motor rotor with 4 poles North/South is its increased efficiency. The 4 poles allow for a smoother and more continuous rotation, resulting in less energy loss and a more efficient motor. Additionally, the absence of brushes in brushless motors means they have a longer lifespan and require less maintenance.

4. What are some common applications of DC brushless motor rotor with 4 poles North/South?

DC brushless motor rotors with 4 poles North/South are commonly used in various applications, such as electric vehicles, robotics, and industrial machinery. They are also used in household appliances, such as washing machines and refrigerators, and in computer fans and hard drives.

5. How do I choose the right DC brushless motor rotor with 4 poles North/South for my application?

When choosing a DC brushless motor rotor with 4 poles North/South, you should consider factors such as the required torque, speed, and power of your application. Additionally, the size and weight of the motor should also be taken into account. It is best to consult with a motor expert to determine the most suitable option for your specific needs.